The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Zealand

Farnz

There are rams' testicles in NZ too but they're known as 'mountain oysters', perhaps to disguise their true identity. :rolleyes:

Pete.

waynelake

The whole mountain oyster idea grosses me out... So this photo is from 12 Mile Delta, Queenstown, at sunrise, view of where I lived for a year or two, a DOC (Dept of Conservation) campsite.

At White Heron Sanctuary Tours. Its something I'd like to do. Mating season ?Oct/Nov til March. NZ$55 for a day kayak hire... Oh, thats Okarito, on West Coast of South Island, just north of Franz Joseph Glacier.
http://www.mountadamlodge.co.nz/attractions.html

waynelake

Scroll down below link, Daniel is the one in red t-shirt in boat. Is here in NZ at moment... His 10D quit on him so bought a 40D...

waynelake

For some reason the previous link is not working, the ...emmigration..blog... one.

Time for more photos. Been ?stuck? in one place for a while now... in Queenstown... Been taking a lot of photos in same direction...

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
*sigh* I want to go back.
I spent a goodly portion of this weekend reviewing some 3300+ images from my trip in Nov.
My first pass had me down to around 370 images (almost 10%) but as many as 20% of those are to be made into either Pano, or HDR shots, or people shots to be sent to friends.

My hope tonight is to get it down to approx 100 shots for review (having weeded out that 20%). Then maybe I'll post 1 or 2. ;0

I've been debating posting a picture or two of the building next to the Thomas Hotel that burnt down in Nov 07. I leave for the Milford track, come back a week later and the building is just gone! :eek:

waynelake

Chris
It really takes time to go thru the photos...

:eek: Gone, yeh. In that time I sold/delivered:cry: my 200 1.8 to Auckland, to someone that had no money:cry: Big surprise the corner building gone. Then 3 weeks later someone from Hawkes Bay Nth Island, drove to Queenstown took 5-10 minutes and dropped me at the bank with money:cry: Sad day!:)

You did not have much luck with the weather. Was it the same on Milford Track? Might have been worse in that part of NZ.

I'm not certain but think it may have been a electrical fault fire that could not be brought under control. The Rees Street Dairy was open 24 hours. If you post, I can get a photo or two of what its like now from same place. Quite different...

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
Yes and no. I take a lot of photos (mostly for me). So to find the good ones doesn't really take long. I just click "next next next" quickly. If a photo is good, it'll make me pause and then I mark it for later evaluation. I can usually get the top 10% in a couple hours. 2 seconds or less per image or so. ;)

When I get home tonight, I'll try and toss a pic or two up. The corner store was there (apparently everyone loved it because it was open all hours and a great place to buy smokes or a snack at 3:00 am) when I first arrived. The fire took place the morning (2-3am) that I flew back into Queenstown. The building was still standing and our room looked onto the roof of the building that wasn't quiet yet demolished. By the time we left, it was flattened. I felt bad for the Jewelry store. They had one of the most beautiful Geodes in their display window. I felt like making an offer on that, and not the necklaces around being sold next to it. Hahahaha.

:( Sorry to hear about th 200/1.8 It's one of my favorite two lenses (and it's the one of the two that autofocuses! :)

Re: Milford.
My luck could certainly have been better, and it also could have been worse. We got a lot of wind and some snow flurries on Pass day. The people who went the week before had 5 full days of beautiful sun. We had 1 1/2 (the first 1 1/2). After that it was grey and drizzly, with only a little full rain. But at least we got to see a few more of the temporary waterfalls.

Cheers.

waynelake

Queenstown is bit of a party town, scenic, with plenty of expensive adrenalin activities, and plenty "free" things to do, walks/tracks... At 3-4 AM is surprisingly busy, and Rees Street dairy one of few places open. Can not remember a Geode at jewelry shop. They have their own mine in Australia, which is where the spectacular pieces of opal was from. There was Maori carvings, and I do remember a large piece of Greenstone Pounamu, (jade) was in the window for years... http://images.google.co.nz/images?h...stone&revid=1701284410&resnum=0&um=1&ie=UTF-8

200 1.8: Was just a difficult choice to sell or keep which took a few months of, "I'm keeping/enjoying it" vs "I'm selling it", and actually listing it on trademe.co.nz in between. Quite the favorite, but very hit and miss AF on 400D (which maybe needed something bright to focus on?)... Decided my R105-280 was Generally better because of focal range.

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
A few more of my images. An IR tree from around Mona Lisa Park in Christchurch and a Lupin from our way back from Arrowtown to Queenstown.

These images were post processed at the GetDPI Carmel Printing Workshop.

helenhill

A few more of my images. An IR tree from around Mona Lisa Park in Christchurch and a Lupin from our way back from Arrowtown to Queenstown.

These images were post processed at the GetDPI Carmel Printing Workshop.
The IR shot gives you Winter /Christmas all year
The flower shot is exquisite for its subtle graduations in tone
Charming & Beautiful to the EYE!
Best, helen

waynelake

Well, heres where the Rees Street Dairy and Jewellery shop was (burnt down). Now food/coffee/small motorbike hire/and ?simulated flight machine. They will build at a later time taking in a larger area. Are waiting for shop leases to run out of arcade behind.

Nearly the end of Autumn Leaves...

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
Well, heres where the Rees Street Dairy and Jewellery shop was (burnt down). Now food/coffee/small motorbike hire/and ?simulated flight machine. They will build at a later time taking in a larger area. Are waiting for shop leases to run out of arcade behind.

Nearly the end of Autumn Leaves...
Hehehe, I stayed in the room with the window on the bottom right, in your picture.

waynelake

Hehehe, I stayed in the room with the window on the bottom right, in your picture.
Cool...it does not get any closer to downtown Queenstown than that. So others know, at right of photo, on other side of hotel is a park and lakefront. Oh, and right now snow almost to lake level...:eek:...cold.

waynelake

Well, long time, no see!

I met a Jorg from Germany 1 year ago. He is back in NZ, for another 5 months. The ultimate work agreement? Work lots of hours + overtime per week, for 7 months. Have 5 months off work, every year. And instead of being paid weekly + overtime, get paid average pay weekly for the year...

This is the 6th year holiday in NZ. Has a car/van, some people in NZ take care of when away.

Stewart Island is the 3rd island of NZ, south of South Island. Ulva Island is right there also. A bird sanctuary. The way NZ used to be, LOUD with native birds... http://www.ulva.co.nz/ulva-island/Photos.asp

Jorg gave me his photos of birds from this island. He uses Olympus 4/3rds, tele is a 50-200 F2.8-3.5 I have to admit I'm clueless about this camera...

I'm very surprised at how close he got to these birds...:bugeyes: This is a Native, TUI. Mmmm, maybe pronounced 2-ee

View attachment 11078
TUI a nectar eater, Flax flowers.

View attachment 11077

The yellow by bead is the pollen.

View attachment 11079

Usually, when seen this bird is black. Just not usual elsewhere to get so close.

Last edited: