The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Bordeaux in July?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
We did a home exchange with a family from Bordeaux for the later half of this month. We'll be doing the winery thing as well as heading South to Biarritz and surrounds, and of course the obligatory few days in Paris where we fly in and out of. Are there any "must see" areas or features near Bordeaux proper I should add in? I should add that this is a family vacation, so I'll just be packing my small cameras.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Thanks guys! I don't plan on visiting every cave, just a handfull. Definitely getting over to St Emillion and will check out that dune in Arachon!

kevinparis

Rocamadour is very pretty... or it would have been before it really got overrun by tourists - i certainly wouldn't go there on a weekend :)

K

sinwen

Jack,

If you visit all the caves you come across, you are going to be drunk a bunch of times. Visit Arcachon it is just near by and if you don't mind driving a bit, go Est direction Souillac, Rocamadour and the Lot valley, you'll find some other caves, prehistorical ones and wonderful food

Have a nice trip
Michel

This is what you could expect in the Lot valley :

http://sinwen.free.fr/Rocamadour-1.jpg

steflaurent974

Hello Jack,

I will be on holiday not so far, in the Bassin d'Arcachon, at Le Cap Ferret. The Bassin d'Arcachon is a really nice spot with seascape, oyster, dunes etc...

If you visit this area i'll be a pleasure to meet you (PM) ; you choose a beautiful area and I am sure you and your familly will have a nice and pleasant holidays, full of wine, sun and surf !!!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Guys! Stefan, I will PM with dates and my contact info.

cam

Jack,

the Tour de France ends a stage in Bordeaux on the 23rd and hosts the final Time Trial (which could be hugely important) on the 24th -- the day before they ride into Paris.

i'm telling you for a few reasons: traffic will be insane! but the crowds and the caravans (they throw free stuff into the crowd: water, hats, salamis, bracelets, etc.) are not to be missed. and, of course, the cyclists themselves (they go much faster than you'd ever think!).

if you want links to times and routes, just holler.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Cam,

Yes we are aware and already planning our "attack" to the best viewing position for the time trial leg ;)

cam

plan on getting there very, very early!

(and can i just say how jealous i am? i'm a major cycling nerd :p )

the whole trip sounds wonderful -- enjoy!!!