The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Side trips from Photokina (Cologne)

dfarkas

Workshop Member
I'm planning on attending Photokina 08 in late September. First off, anyone else planning on going to the show?

Secondly, my wife and I (and our 20 month-old daughter) are playing with the idea of going over a week early and taking in the sights. We are looking at the following destinations as possibilities:

Paris (I've never been there, she has)
Burgundy
Amsterdam
Rotterdam
Brussels

We were thinking of either taking the ICE/TGV trains or renting a car.

Any suggestions? Photo ops are of course the most important criteria, followed closely by good food.

Thanks,

David

ecliffordsmith

Hi David,

I am toying with the idea of going to the show. It is a good excuse to pop across to Cologne and drink some Koelsch. The brauhauses in Cologne really are no other place.

I work in Brussels and would say that it is well worth an overnight stop. The train network in Belgium is very cheap ane extensive. Bruges and Ghent are really worth seeing and also Antwerp. If you go to any of these place please let me know as I can give some good addresses.

A real gem of a city to visit is Maastricht.

Burgundy would be quite hard for you to do without a car.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I'm planning on attending Photokina 08 in late September. First off, anyone else planning on going to the show?

Secondly, my wife and I (and our 20 month-old daughter) are playing with the idea of going over a week early and taking in the sights. We are looking at the following destinations as possibilities:

Paris (I've never been there, she has)
Burgundy
Amsterdam
Rotterdam
Brussels

We were thinking of either taking the ICE/TGV trains or renting a car.

Any suggestions? Photo ops are of course the most important criteria, followed closely by good food.

Thanks,

David
Grandparents to start bud. Just go with your wife and get away. Trust me as they get older it becomes extremely difficult to get away. But if it was me i would hit Italy and rent a car and just cruise the coast.

Lisa

If you've never been to Paris, DO IT! It's an extraordinary city. In my humble opinion, it's far, far more interesting than the other options. The TGV makes it quick to get there.

Lisa

P.S. Italy, which Guy suggests, is wonderful too, but much farther away. I'd save it for a later trip.

P.P.S. When in Cologne, don't miss the cathedral. It's one of the greatest Gothic cathedrals in the world. The best photos are from a substantial distance away, looming above Cologne like a great black battleship.

P

Peseecot73

Side trips from Photokina Cologne

Can anybody shed any light on the living away from home allowance/ tax relief?