The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Time To Pack?

R

richard.L

How long does it take for you to pack for road trip?
I'm about to head out on a "ladders trip" ... I pick two major roads and drive the backroads bumping back and forth between the majors (insterstates...

I've found that it takes me hours to pack and go. I start the pack a couple days before the trip so that I can change my mind (?) a few times. This trip I've four camera bags and one clothing bag -- it seems to take more than 5 times as long to pack the cameras as the clothes and sundries..

The trip will be from 10 -14 days.

So, how long to pack? It seems about an hour a bag. seems too long.

richard --- headed out into that grand grey world known as yellowstain park.

Lisa

It takes me something like three hours to pack, of which about a half-hour (spread over several days) is prepping the camera gear (charging batteries, cleaning lenses, applying or removing the L-brackets, etc.). And that's after starting with a list of everything I intend to pack, and editting it down from my "master list" for a particular trip is about another ten minutes.

It takes my spouse about twenty minutes to pack. (No additional camera gear.)

People are just different. I bring lots more stuff (books, toiletries, iPod accessories) than he does, which explains the difference. On the other hand, when he needs a band-aid, or can't find an acceptable book in the airport shop, he asks me for one because he didn't pack any himself. :rolleyes:

Lisa

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
20 minutes for the clothes etc
then depending on the trip maybe an hour or two most of that proving computer and backup readiness and cleaning all lenses and checking for clean sensors.
-bob

R

richard.L

hmm, Okay, everyone is packing way faster, better....
... we've got the clothing, etc down... that also comes from many many many air trips...
will have to cut the camera-kit into better pieces...

thanks for the markers. we now have a target.

richard. out the door with a sandwich in hand. next stop El Paso. hope the beagle doesn't take a liking to us :) damned hemp granola.

Lisa

Enjoy your trip, and I wouldn't worry about how long it takes to pack. Just start early and take your time if you feel like it, and don't worry about how it compares to anyone else; that's my recommendation!

Lisa

Vincent Goetz

Subscriber Member
less than an hour...of course all the 35mm gear now lives in the truck, so it is a matter of MF gear, computer, ditty bag, clothes, wine, tequila, and the dogs. The dogs are usually ready to go before I am...

stephengilbert

The dogs have servants. If you had someone to pack all your gear and food and blanket, you'd be ready sooner too. And I suspect the dogs don't take any photo gear.

Godfrey

How long does it take for you to pack for road trip?
I'm about to head out on a "ladders trip" ... I pick two major roads and drive the backroads bumping back and forth between the majors (insterstates...

I've found that it takes me hours to pack and go. I start the pack a couple days before the trip so that I can change my mind (?) a few times. This trip I've four camera bags and one clothing bag -- it seems to take more than 5 times as long to pack the cameras as the clothes and sundries..

The trip will be from 10 -14 days.

So, how long to pack? It seems about an hour a bag. seems too long.

richard --- headed out into that grand grey world known as yellowstain park.
I usually spend a day or two thinking about and writing up my photographic ideas for a trip before I start the packing process. Once I have that in my head, I can pack the photo gear in about ten minutes. I only rarely carry more than a single equipment bag which holds computer and everything else needed equipment wise ... On this current trip, that amounts to about 14 lbs total. The shooting bag is smaller, lighter, separate and doubles as the travel incidentals/portable office carryall. All equipment and shooting bag are always carryon when flying.

Clothing usually takes me about twenty minutes to pack. That goes into a carryon capable sized rollaway which I usually check-through when flying or using train/bus transport.

rayyan

Less than 10 minutes, if I am lazy.

The only thing that changes is the clothes I wear for travel.

I only carry these things..always.

D700 + 35mm + 100mm
M8 or Film M + 28mm + 75mm
Mobile
Chargers + about 30Gb of cards each + MacAir or a Netbook

Medicines ( letter from the doctor/s )
CC + some paper currency
Passport + Ticket
Driving license ( local + int'l )

2 change of clothing.

Everything in a carry-on + on-shoulder.

Toileteries I buy. Local clothes ( sarong etc. ) buy and discard. At destination.

Walk-on/off..plane, train, ship, bus, car, walking ( if forced to do! )

10 minutes, if I am lazy.

Have a nice and safe trip.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I'm with Rayyan, 10 minutes, maximum. GH1, 3-4 lenses, phone, sometimes a netbook plus backup disk, chargers, tripod if space allows, cards (name as well as memory), passport, monies, a couple of pens, number of shirts equals number of days plus one, same with underwear, shorts if I wear jeans, jeans if I wear shorts.

If I'm going on a job, mostly motorsports, I take a lot more gear, but that's a question of moving cameras and lenses from the dry cabinet to the bag. 5 minutes extra, maximum. Batteries are always charged. Always.