The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Burning Man

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
So, through a last minute gift; I find myself preparing to go to Burning Man for the first time. I'm aware of playa dust and have been informed that it's even worse than the trip I made w/ friends to Africa.

Current plans are to bring 4 cameras; with probably only 4 lenses and never swap a lens.

2 Canon DSLRs:
5D + 24-70/2.8
40D + 1.4x + 70-200/??? (I've both the 2.8 IS and 4 IS. The 4 is a LOT lighter) But I haven't made up my mind. I have a B+W KSM CP that will fit the 2.8 but not the 4.

2 Leica Rangefinders:
M8 + CV12/5.6
M8 + 50/1.4

I plan to bring each camera in it's own plastic bag, inside a camera bag; removing them only when in use.

That stated, would you bring a different line up? I've debated bringing 1 or 2 extra lenses.

M line that I'm not currently planning to bring:
CV15/4.5, 21/2.8, 28/2, 75/1.4, 90/2

Canon line that I'm not currently planning to bring:
Zeiss 21/2.8, Zeiss 35/2.8PC, 85II/1.2, Sigma 70-300 Macro, Sigma 170-500.

Thoughts, comments, recommendations (additions or subtractions)?

Anyone else attending and want to meet up?

Cheers (and thanks in advance!),
-C

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The alkalai dust is bad, but not that bad unless you are trying to change lenses while everybody is racing around. You'll also find plenty of willing "models" should you wish to do artistic human figure shots off in the desert... Were it me, I'd plan on camping a few miles away from the center of the hub. (And I'd consider renting a motorhome to do it all from...)

Also, Just up the highway from Burning Man is Fly Geyser, definitely worth aphoto stop! Here is one of my Fly Geyser shots from a few years back:

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
The alkalai dust is bad, but not that bad unless you are trying to change lenses while everybody is racing around. You'll also find plenty of willing "models" should you wish to do artistic human figure shots off in the desert... Were it me, I'd plan on camping a few miles away from the center of the hub. (And I'd consider renting a motorhome to do it all from...)

Also, Just up the highway from Burning Man is Fly Geyser, definitely worth aphoto stop! Here is one of my Fly Geyser shots from a few years back:
My friends have a theme camp around "I", and I'll be staying with them.

Beautiful shot Jack! Unfortunately (or fortunately), I'll be flying into and out of Burning Man, so I'm not sure a drive up the road is in the cards for this year.
But I hope to make it next year, when Jim is going too. :D

EH21

Haven't been to Burning Man for a few years but I shot a wedding there for some friends and consequently brought my 1Ds and flash and have taken cameras with me for many of the times I have gone. The dust is hard to clean off but not really a problem unless you get caught in a dust storm. Bring a couple big ziplocks to seal them off in just in case. If you are using flash you'll find out just how much micro dust particles are in the air even when it seems clear. The dust is going to get into everything. Prime lenses are better than zooms since zooms suck in more air in focal length changes. Except for the dust thing which is exasperated by on camera flash, I'd suggest a small compact camera on the cheap side. You won't feel bad if it gets junked up and you won't hesitate to do stuff if you have something cheap and light that you could afford to loose if you forget it somewhere. If you have a big kit it will tie you down and limit your experience. Next time I go, I'm going to bring something like a GRD II.

Jack may be right about 'models' but also be advised that BM is for participants, not spectators. Some of the veterans will be more cooperative if they feel you are doing it with them rather than just snapping their picture. You will quickly figure out when is a good time and when its just time to put the camera down and just enjoy yourself. A good example of when not to stand around and take pictures is "the Critical Tits" ride around camp (you'll be very tempted - but don't do it). A good time to take pics is sunrise at the Man, the burn, advertised events, staged performances, etc. Make sure to go out one day/night without the camera - a much different experience.

Hope you have fun!

Last edited: