The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Death Valley Info

Scargos2

Hello all We planing on going to Death Valley in May. Is this a good time and what is there to shoot there?

Lars

It will be a bit hot, obviously. Anything form scenic landscapes to salt formations to sand dunes to desert plants and animals. Can you be more specific on what you are looking for?

sangio

Hi Rick:

We were there for 5 days in mid-April in 2010. It was HOT, the daytime temperature reached 100F most days.

There's is a lot to photograph in this park.

You can find some good information and comments at the Death-Valley.net discussion forum.
The DesertUSA.com website also has some good information.

A good reference book that I came across is The Photographers Guide to Death Valley. Amazon.com: The Photographer's Guide to Death Valley (The Photographer's Guide) (9780881507898): Shellye Poster: Books

I also picked up the Death Valley National Park Introductary Package from the DesertUSA web site. The map is quite good if you're travelling on your own.
Death Valley Natl Park Intro Package - 3 items - DesertUSA Store

It's a great place, you'll enjoy it.

regards
Santo

D

Dan Suzio

Death Valley can get pretty hot in May, but it's still early enough that the higher elevations will be comfortable. Where you go will depend on what you want to shoot. May is too late for wildflowers on the valley floor, so if you're looking for flowers I'd recommend Wildrose Canyon or the road to Aguereberry Point. Birds will be concentrated around the springs (try Wildrose Canyon or Scotty's Castle), rabbits and other mammals will be most active in early morning or late afternoon, snakes will be out at night, and lizards will be everywhere, all day long. You can shoot landscapes and ghost towns any time, but you'll find the best light in early morning and late afternoon (just like anywhere else). There's way too much to see in one visit, so you should try to gather as much information and advice as you can in advance and decide on your priorities -- but stay flexible, because you never know what you'll find when you get there. Have a great trip!

Dan

E

Elena Iuliana

although I am not a photographer, I appreciate the info shared here, thanks Dan as well!