The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Portland, Oregon

animefx

Hey guys. I'm taking a weekend vacation to Portland, Oregon sometime in March. I might rent a car while I'm there. I love shooting all kinds of photography, so I would like recommendations on what is worth while shooting in the area? I already plan on doing some street photography but looking for more specific locations especially for potential landscapes.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Where to start? Here are a couple of classics:

Columbia Gorge - Old Historic Hwy - lot's of famous waterfalls and scenic vistas from Women's Forum, Crown Point and along the road. Multnomah Falls is the famous one but there are many many others if you take the trails along the highway.

Japanese Garden - if you're in town I'd say that this is a must visit. It's in Forest Park and well worth a day. There's also the classic city/Mt Hood landscape scene from up there too.

animefx

Thanks Graham! This will be most helpful. I'll probably be gone for only 3 or 4 days so this should be enough to keep my occupied.

Where to start? Here are a couple of classics:

Columbia Gorge - Old Historic Hwy - lot's of famous waterfalls and scenic vistas from Women's Forum, Crown Point and along the road. Multnomah Falls is the famous one but there are many many others if you take the trails along the highway.

Japanese Garden - if you're in town I'd say that this is a must visit. It's in Forest Park and well worth a day. There's also the classic city/Mt Hood landscape scene from up there too.

Hosermage

+1 to both places Graham had mentioned.

Although not close to Portland, but I would consider taking a full day to drive down and visit Crater Lake, and bring an Oregon quarter with you ;-)

Godfrey

Hey guys. I'm taking a weekend vacation to Portland, Oregon sometime in March. I might rent a car while I'm there. I love shooting all kinds of photography, so I would like recommendations on what is worth while shooting in the area? I already plan on doing some street photography but looking for more specific locations especially for potential landscapes.
If you are interested in street photography, there's an "underground Portland" walking tour through some of the more interesting downtown areas that will familiarize you with the locale. Takes about 2 hours total. Worth taking the tour too, and plenty of people shots to be had once you know where things are.

I did it last year ... it was a kick.

G