The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Oman

johneaton

I just had the opportunity to spend a week photographing in Oman -- I had heard lots of good things and as I had to be in the Middle East on other matters decided to go see for myself :)

Oman is a great place for photography, in large part because there is such a wide variety of subjects -- the coast is beautiful, the mountain scenery is dramatic, enormous old forts, amazing desert camps and sand dunes that go on forever, beautiful wadi and date-palm oases, fascinating souks and livestock markets, and the people are very friendly.

As it was my first visit, a very long way from home (California!) and I had a very limited time available, I splurged on a local guide, Abdullah Al Shuhi. Abdullah was press photographer at the major newspaper in Muscat for 20+ years (starting out in the darkroom printing everyone-else's work!) -- so he's a very accomplished photographer in his own right, know his way around the country extremely well, and appears to know everyone, even in the smallest village! He has some 'standard' tours, but can customize to fit your interests and timing -- he's very flexible. He has his own 4x4 to provide transport and knows all the best places to get that different shot.

If you're contemplating a trip there I would urge you to go, it exceeded my expectations -- only spend more than a week, there's so much to photograph! And I would unreservedly recommend Abdullah as a guide -- he's a great photographer and a great guy! You can contact him at: [email protected] and his web-site is: Oman Photo Holidays

roomycoffee

One the best places in Oman is Musandam. It is surrounded by spectacular mountains and serene remote white sand beaches. The cool greenish blue waters which houses dolphins and colourful fishes and other sea life is spectacular sight. The gracious and attentive crew on board will make sure you have an unforgettable journey in this beautiful part of Arabia. Photographers would sure love to have a photo shoot in this place.