The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Las Vegas to Monument Valley - Help Needed

jaree

I am planning to drive from LV to Monument Valley first week of April and need some help from GetDPI friends. I get in to LV on Apr 4 and leave April 11. I will spend a day or two in LV too. So I will have 5 days for the road-trip.

Given the distance, I want to stopover for a night rather than do a 400 mile drive in one go (travelling with my 75 year old mom, this trip is for her as she wants to see the red desert landscape - she saw pictures of Arizona/Utah when she was 15 and has always wanted to make a trip there since then).

Option 1:

Las Vegas to Page AZ. Stopover in Page for a Night. Then to Mexican Hat, UT. I-15, then RT89/160/163.

Option 2:

Las Vegas to Flagstaff then to Mexican Hat UT. Rt 93/89/160/163.

Which of these is more scenic? Any other options/ideas?

Thanks in advance.

- J.

jlm

Workshop Member
for the northeastern side, i usually fly into Albuquerque, drive through Gallup, to get to: Window Rock, Chinle, (canyon de Chelly, Mexican Hat (tiny place)), Monument valley and Mesa Verde (great spot to spend a night).

if i fly into Las Vegas, i'm going to Death Valley, maybe Zion and Brice.
if flying into Salt Lake City: Zion and Brice

easy area to put on the miles.

i find one night in Las Vegas is plenty. a very relaxing and excellent restaurant is the one in the "Eiffel Tower"

Last edited:

jaree

Thanks! Agree with 1-night in LV being plenty as I was there last year. Will explore flying to Albuquerque instead + the other points you mentioned - very helpful.

k-hawinkler

I agree with Jim having ABQ as the starting and end point. A good route would be ABQ - Acoma - Gallup - Canyon de Chelly - Monument Valley - Mesa Verde - Chaco Canyon - ABQ.

You also could concentrate on Canyon de Chelly - Monument Valley - Mesa Verde and easily spend 6 busy days just there.

jaree

Thanks Banker and K-H.

K-H - you are killing me, just checked some photos on google for Canyon de Chelly...amazing!

jaree

You are not helping my friend! Great shot, thanks...

Question: Is it "easy" to stop on the these roads and take pictures? I mean are there pull-outs/overlooks so one can park and enjoy the views?

Don Libby

Or - bypass Las Vegas all together. Fly into Flagstaff AZ which is less than an hr from Sedona to the SW and maybe 2-hrs from the South Rim Grand Canyon to the NW. Page is less than 3-hrs as is MV, Mexican Hat and Valley of the Gods. Canyon de Chile is also within a 90-minute drive from MV although it's always taken me longer due to the stops along the way to photograph.

You can stay outside the MV at a small town called Kayenta and have a 30-min drive to MV or closer either inside the park itself or right outside. Distance between Flag and Keyenta is around 150 miles and MV is an additional 30+. Book now as the rooms fill up very fast.

Don

Don Libby

You are not helping my friend! Great shot, thanks...

Question: Is it "easy" to stop on the these roads and take pictures? I mean are there pull-outs/overlooks so one can park and enjoy the views?
The short answer is yes. Canyon de Chile is a combination of National Park and Navajo Park. There's a drive around the rim in the national park with pull outs and Spider Woman is at the end of one of the rim drives which drops you off into a parking lot. The walk to the viewpoint is paved and less than 1/4 mile.

You can visit inside the canyon however you must have a guide.

Same with MV, which is a Navajo Park. There's a 14-mile dirt loop road that is self guiding or you can hire a guide.

Valley of the Gods is about 30 minutes east on federal land which is open to the general public. There's a 14 mile dirt road leading though the valley which is very easy. I've always thought Valley of the Gods is a mini-MV which can be seen in the distance.

Hope this helps...

Don

k-hawinkler

Let me add to what Don Libby wrote.
In Canyon de Chelly there are 2 different canyons.
One is great for morning light, the other for evening.
It took me about 3 hours to drive along each and stop at the overlook points.
One can hike down to the White House ruins.
Anywhere else you need to hire a guide.
Also there are individual and group jeep tours into the canyons.

Sedona, southwest of Flagstaff, is another magical place.
There are so many great places in the Southwest.
I suggest you concentrate on fewer rather than more during a week long visit.
Good luck.

jaree

Don and KH- Thanks. Agree with taking more time to explore fewer areas than rushing it. Your notes are very helpful and will come in handy as I plan.

Regards,

J.