The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Domestic air travel within China

rayyan

Reading China Airline ( and Chinese air regulations ), I am informed that one
Is not permitted to carry more than a sum total of 3 lithium ion batteries in carry on baggage. And none in checked in luggage.

Unless one carries two identical cam bodies using the sharing the same battery, this would be very restrictive for a photographer. I am considering my options.

Can anyone chime in here with experience of recent domestic air travel within China?

Thanks.

p.s some sites mention 100 watt hrs and some qty of 3.

Last edited:

Shashin

When I went to China in 1993, you were not allowed to take in more than 10 rolls of film. I walked in with 100 rolls and no one stopped me. I might have been lucky because it was the time for the 2000 Beijing Olympic bid. I was lucky for the rest of my trip, but I heard of others having a harder time.

I guess I would have one in each camera and three spare. If stopped, I would apologize and explain I thought the rules meant three extra batteries. If they confiscate two of the batteries, I would apologize again and move on.

If I were traveling with someone, I would give them one camera with two spare and carry one camera with two spare.

rayyan

Thanks Shashin.

I will go ahead with 2 cams and 3 batteries, as you suggest. Let's see.
Pity if they remove my original Leica batteries..expensive they are; and the only
Ones unmarked with output ratings on the back or front:eek:

Best.

When I went to China in 1993, you were not allowed to take in more than 10 rolls of film. I walked in with 100 rolls and no one stopped me. I might have been lucky because it was the time for the 2000 Beijing Olympic bid. I was lucky for the rest of my trip, but I heard of others having a harder time.

I guess I would have one in each camera and three spare. If stopped, I would apologize and explain I thought the rules meant three extra batteries. If they confiscate two of the batteries, I would apologize again and move on.

If I were traveling with someone, I would give them one camera with two spare and carry one camera with two spare.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
:)

Time for LF.

Take care.
He he... although I meant it as a joke, it isn't 100%. I'm just back from 6 days in the Philippines where I had the D810 with me and two fully charged batteries. After returning home with more than 500 images, I wasn't even half way down on the first battery. I seriously consider bringing three batteries and leaving the charger at home for the future, at least for anything less than a week of travel.

alajuela

Hi

My experience - is that NONE whatsoever in checked luggage. And should a situation arise - Shashin sums up the appropriate response. The Chinese can show a great degree of flexibility - especially to foreigners.

But have to mention - if at all applicable - consider the trains, much less stressful and certainly more conformable

Good luck and if I can be of any assistance let me know - I am based in Shanghai (for last 14 years)

phil

rayyan

Hi phil.

Thank you for a definitive response.

Thanks also to all those that responded..shashin, Jorgen.

Accordingly, I have modified my gear.
I shall take 2 cams that take the same batteries. And carry one extra.

I would have taken the train, but we were not certain of many things. And we went ahead and booked the tour based on air travel.

Thank you once again.

Hi

My experience - is that NONE whatsoever in checked luggage. And should a situation arise - Shashin sums up the appropriate response. The Chinese can show a great degree of flexibility - especially to foreigners.

But have to mention - if at all applicable - consider the trains, much less stressful and certainly more conformable

Good luck and if I can be of any assistance let me know - I am based in Shanghai (for last 14 years)

phil

rayyan

I was allowed an extra battery for each
Camera. Very helpful and understanding people.