The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Paris, St. Petersburg and Moscow in May

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I have a Bored meeting in Paris in May and I plan to spend an extra couple of days there then on to St. Petersburg and then Moscow.
Recommendations are always welcome :)
Looking especially for side-trips around St. Petersburg and Moscow. I have to get my visa set up just right, so please give me some ideas.

-bob

O

Oxide Blu

Paris is a great city, but would be even better if the French would leave it. :D

No kidding, I was looking at some public art in Paris and a guy, English, walked up to me ask if I was an American. I said I was, he said "oh good, someone is here that the French hate more than they hate us." :ROTFL:

Never been to Russia, curious about Moscow, but St Petersburg is on my list of places to go in the near future -- re: the Amber Room has been rebuilt, entirely from referencing black and white photos of it. Because the color of the same amber appears as a different gray in diff photos, one person was assigned to make the decision on the colors of ambers for the whole reconstruction project.

It would be a shame to go to St P and not see the Amber Room.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I usually stay in Paris in a small hotel near the Sorbonne on the left bank.
This time I will be staying near La Defense. I find that in general, the French hold deep historical resentment for the Brits. The American's are fine as long as they pay their bills.
I will check out the Amber room, but I have been looking for somewhat more distant sights.
-bob

Last edited:
O

Oxide Blu

It was at La Defense that I was looking at the public art when the English guy approached me; the big steel spider and other modern creations there.

Lisa

I fine that in general, the French hold deep historical resentment for the Brits. The American's are fine as long as they pay their bills.
I just had to relate a funny story on that subject...
My spouse & I were in northern France last year, walking around one of the medieval cathedrals, when a man walked up to us and struck up a conversation. He started complaining endlessly, something involving the Hundred Years' War that we didn't quite follow (since his English was imperfect) and kept complaining about "you all". Several minutes later, when my husband finally got a word in edgewise to say, "We're not British, we're American", he said just "That's all right then" and walked away.:rolleyes:

Lisa

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
We regret to announce that the Ukraina Hotel, Moscow, is closed from 28 February 2007 for complete renovation, and no bookings can be taken until further notice. If you are seeking similar accommodation in Moscow, try our recommended

Thanks for the recommendations, but I will be staying with my daughter.
-bob

Terry

Hey Bob,
Looking good from one of my favorite places. I see a little window shopping in the first shot. Send my best greetings to Cynthia!

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Terry,
will do!
Cynthia had a couple more days of that while I had meetings.
-bob

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Bob

Looks like you are getting some weather and occasional "magic light". If you haven t tried the "hop on hop off" river boats ,it a great way to get around and keeps you close to the action. We will be in Paris starting 6/8.

Roger

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Roger,
I have tried those boats, but usually, we just start walking in the morning and finish at night.
-bob

Terry

Bob, I don't remember ever seeing the river so smooth. Beautiful! I love the third shot in this last set. The buildings immediately made me think of the many different "layers" of Paris as you walk and explore the city. A city where I just walk and walk and walk and there is always something to see.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Bob

We have a friend that rents his apartment in the Marais area. We are pretty much set on Paris in June each year . From the images looks like we will be close to where you are starting from. I have also never seen the river that smooth. The reflection really adds to the images. What did you shoot those with..the M8 or the new Canon? Those are as crisp a lot as I have seen...

I am interested in what you find in St Petersburg...a place I would like to visit soon.

Roger

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Terry, Guy, and Roger,
Since I have the opportunity to shoot our granddaughter (who is ALWAYS in motion while awake), I decided to bring just the 5D2.
The shots were taken about 6:00am just before and after dawn and before the river opens for traffic at 6:30. The river is smooth if there is little wind.
The images are, so far, simply WB adjusted and processed to jpeg in C1.
All of the early morning shots were taken on-tripod using live view, mirror lockup and self-timer. So far I like the 5D2 a lot except for the stupid mode dial.
-bob