The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

CUBA....now?

O

Oxide Blu

I don't doubt what you are saying, but Cuba enjoys tourism from Canada, South America, and Europe. I'm sure the US embargo hurts Cuba but I don't know by how much?!? I'm curious about Cuba if only because I can't go there. And there is something attractive about photographing repression.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
And there is something attractive about photographing repression.
Photographing countries that develop in a different way from what we're used to is always interesting, and communist countries, although I'm not sure the "communist" label is relevant anymore for any country, surely develop differently from the surrounding world. Without the boycott, Cuba would surely have been a less interesting place from a photographic point of view, with the Golden Arches in the background of each and every photo :wtf: , but then, there's always North Korea :rolleyes:

This is also one of the reason why Hanoi is so interesting photographically seen; it develops, but under communist rule, it develops much more slowly than other cities in the region. Then, on the other hand, the big Chinese cities develop much faster than the rest of the world, and they're supposed to be communist too, so maybe I'm all wrong. That wouldn't be the first time :D

T

tokengirl

Sorry to resurrect a six-month-old thread, but my better half was born in Cuba and went to visit relatives earlier this year. I sent him off with a G10 set on green box mode and told him I would handle the post processing. He came back with hundreds of shots taken through a car window and you could see a reflection of his light green shirt in every single one of them.:D

But when he got out of the car, he got some pretty good stuff:

Here is the entire set:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/msmambo/sets/72157618353086505/

Andrew Gough

Cuba is a great place to visit. Lets leave the politics out of it, and concentrate on what is, a unique photographers opportunity in the world today...

GH2 Pana 7-14mm

GH2 Pana 14-45mm @45mm

GH2 + Contax 50mm F/1.5 ZM

losta

I went to a travel seminar a few months ago about traveling to Cuba. You can travel from the US to Cuba if it for a humanitarian purpose. There are many groups that travel there mostly church and medical currently.

There is now a charter flight that leaves JFK once a week for Cuba cnt.com. There are several travel groups that travel there but the visit must be for a purpose. There is a Center for Cuban Studies in NYC that can help arrange travel. I would love to do a photo workshop there.