The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zurich and Paris in September

Heading to these two cities in mid-September, mostly in Zurich to visit my son but am planning several days in Paris also.

Having never visited either city I'd appreciate any suggestions of favorite places to photograph.

Thanks,

Mark

Lisa

Paris: Day trip by train to Rouen for some of the most gorgeous gothic cathedrals and quaint medieval-looking lanes.
Day trip by train to Chartres for its gorgeous cathedral (famous for its blue stained glass - be prepared for low-light shots).
The gardens at Versailles.
Early morning light on Notre Dame.
The best view of the Eiffel Tower is from the Trocadero fountains.

Zurich: Take a day trip (or overnight, if you can) by train to the Jungfrau area (Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen), and ride around on the mountain trains & lifts. Most beautiful spot in the world, in my opinion. Mannlichen (accessible by lift or trail) is especially good:
http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/large_jpg/WEurope/SwitzPano1.html

Lisa

Last edited:

Robert Campbell

Zurich; Lake Lucerne and the Rigi aren't far away -- boat trips on the lake, train up the Rigi -- stay overnight and see the dawn. Pilatus nearby, train goes up.

As Lisa says, train to Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen; Kleine Scheidegg and Eiger trail; Faulhorn, another opportunity to overnight and see the dawn; Scheinigge Platte for the alpine gardens.