The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lake Como

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Edit time is 1 hour and there is a very specific reason for this on many forums. People say something and make someone else mad than change there post and it makes the person that got the hurt feelings the bad guy which is wrong. It's called controlling troll bait

beamon

Edit time is 1 hour and there is a very specific reason for this on many forums. People say something and make someone else mad than change there post and it makes the person that got the hurt feelings the bad guy which is wrong. It's called controlling troll bait
But the members here are above such things aren't they, Guy? ;)

Seriously, when differences of opinion have ocurred here, in my short tenure, it has been gratifying to note that they have remained civil and virtually without the ad hominem arguments that so typify many other boards. Hope it is ever thus.

ftbt

Vineyards in Valtellina. This is an area at the top of the lake near the Swiss border where the vineyards are planted on the sides of the mountains.

The foot path to the "Fracia" vineyards of the Nino Negro winery. (They also have a small restaurant in the middle of the vineyard.)

It is quite a hike straight up the mountain ... almost there.

The view from our table in the vineyard. The wine we were drinking was grown on those vines.

Just another view of the vineyards looking in the opposite direction.

beamon

Does the the talk about a spring trip to Lake Como still have any legs? Is the idea dead or merely on hold until after the summer workshop is completed?

ftbt

Talk to the powers that be ... I am certainly in a position to help you out. But, no one has asked me.

beamon

Talk to the powers that be ... I am certainly in a position to help you out. But, no one has asked me.
I think I am talking to the "powers that be" by posting about it here.

My guess is that this is the point in time where it would have to be drawn together into a marketable package and offered to the members. Domestic travel within the U.S. is one thing, but this is quite a sizable increase in planning with many more details to cover.

But, I also understand that the curent workshop has the spotllight, so maybe next year?! Even if it is determined that Spring of 2011 is the choice, it should be penciled on the calendar and the first steps taken, soon.

Guy Mancuso

GOOD POINT. I would love to do this. Jack and I will chat together over a steak dinner in Oregon. Need to put this on my long list of discussions.

Guy Mancuso

Remind us Bob, I would like to do this and no question you are in the discussion . We need you to create the wine list. LOL

beamon

Great! If Bob creates the wine list I want to be the sommelier! I do a great 'bow to the bottle' and my technique in decanting to the carafe, against the candle light source, is flawless! :D

ftbt

... Domestic travel within the U.S. is one thing, but this is quite a sizable increase in planning with many more details to cover.
Well, international travel always has its challenges. From a logistics standpoint, one the biggest decisions would be whether all the US attendees would travel together on the same flight. Delta and American both fly non-stop from JFK to Malpensa (Milan). As a matter of fact, I just checked with Delta and they have a $628.00 special for a flight leaving on April 1, 2010 from JFK and returning April 15, 2010. If you live anywhere JetBlue flies, then getting to NY is also easy and relatively cheap. (We normally fly non-stop to London or Paris from the west coast and then over to Milan, but it might make more sense for you to leave from NY?)

If a large number of the attendees traveled together to Milan on the same flight, then you would be wise to have a van meet you at the airport and take you to your hotel. It is about an hour and half ride from Malpensa to where you would want to stay on the lake. The van can be easily arranged and then used to transport the group on its daily outings.

I have fantastic hotels that I can suggest, as well as a tour-guide to accompany you and get you into places that either you would never find on your own, or wouldn't allow you to take photographs. (A lot of the stately villas have strict no-photo policies inside, especially flash photography.)

Having transportation and a knowledgeable guide would make things much easier for you. (If you wanted to go off on your own, you could rent a car at the airport or in Como ... just arrange it in advance in the US, because it is extremely expensive if you just walk up to the counter and rent it.)

So, this type of planning might be difficult if you are attempting something like for the first time, not really knowing "the lay of the land." But, as I said, I am more than willing to help you folks out with my contacts and resources, if you want me to.

ftbt

We have just returned to our house at Lake Como from the truffle festival in Alba. Here is a view from back porch this morning looking north towards Menaggio: