The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Greetings from Iceland

Diane B

OK a few from today with minimal processing (too tired). The neon greens are correct. This is a special plant that grows here and it does look neon!

The Panny 7-14 for micro 4/3 rocks! These three shots. All from flat on the ground!

Still playing with different versions of the first shot
These are just terrific. What great shots. Later we'll hear about the experience, but for now, the photos give a good idea of how its going.

Diane

Terry

Thanks everyone. Time to get packed up and boogie. Heading east towards Icebergs and puffins. More soon although who knows if I will have a wifi connection at the next location. Wild landscape, one minute you are seeing the lush neon green and the next it is a barren lava field.

Definitely need, big heavy tires, very high clearance vehicle and a tolerance for a rough ride to go into the highlands. We crossed a lot of water yesterday and many of the vehicles are outfitted with a scuba for the air intake. Put it this way the rental car maps just blank out the whole area and say "don't go there", which of course meant we came across two cars who disobeyed and were lost or when they got to a bad river crossing turned around (although we only saw about 20 cars in about 8 hours :D

Terry

Just came in from the most amazing puffin experience. Wow, I have at least two more 8gb cards full of stuff to download from today's adventure. Don't want to go to sleep because we are meeting in 2.5 hours (3AM to go to the glacial lagoon and photo icebergs at sunrise about 3:45 AM).

The first is from our way back from the promontory where the puffins nest. We got pulled out there in a cart by a big tractor. You have to drive through the sand for about 4 kilometers and along the way you need to go through some water. This is sunset at close to 11PM....

Irenaeus

Beautiful place and beautiful work, Terry!

You won't have time to read it but a nice souvenir, if you should happen to run across it, would be a copy of The Saga of Burnt Njal, translated by Magnus Magnusson. I know it in a Penguin Edition but there may be others available there. Many think it the greatest of the Icelandic Sagas and it's an excellent translation. It was composed about the time of that first parliament you mentioned, and some of the action takes place there, too.

Enjoy it all,

Irenaeus

Terry

Thanks all. Last night was amazing. Stuart Richardson has been to this nesting area. It was a "hike" first the 4 kilometer tractor ride (this is someone's private land), then a very steep climb up a sandy cliff and then a hike further up on rocky sandy soil.

(not the best shots hard to capture a vast area of black sand)
Here you can see the 4 kilometer sand field we drove across and the tractor

at the top of the sandy part ( a "dune" created by the wind or you would have to rock climb up the cliff)

Once you hike up and out to the ocean side, this is the height of the nesting area

Terry

We went back out for sunrise. This was taken about 3:45 AM. It is in an area where the glacier is calving off icebergs and the tide takes them out to sea but then the tide also brings them back to shore. My 12mm doesn't take filters and I would love to have had an ND filter to slow things down as the tide was coming in as I would like to eliminate some of the small waves. So, I will have another go at it. This is a spot the 16-35 would have come in handy over the 12-24 (and yes, the powerline will be gone!).

Joan

WOW, wow oh, WOW!! :) :bugeyes: I didn't know you'd been posting from up there, been dieing to see what you've been up to and have you ever DELIVERED!

Fabulous stuff, Terry! Magnificent landscapes, the glacier is stupendous. The horses and the puffins, I just WANT them, LOL. BEEYOOtiful!

:thumbs: :clap: :clap:

I am GREEN along with the others :D and so glad you are having such a terrific experience!

Terry

Thanks Don and Joan...off to bed. Leaving at 3AM to start the day. Haven't even begun to get todays shots downloaded.

Don Libby

Just had a chance to view the images on my 24" monitors - STUNNING in every detail. I wouldn't change a thing in the last image!

Thanks for sharing

Don

Dale Allyn

Terry, thanks for sharing your beautiful images, and giving us a bit of a free ride-along. As others have mentioned, Iceland is on my list too, and your images only add to that interest.

And as for the last image: I'm with Don. The power line is there and part of the scene. It does help with perspective. To each her/his own, but I like it the way it is (and prefer to not clone out prominent elements).

Great work, Terry.

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Hi Terry,

that first shot of the horses coming along in a curve already was worth all the efforts to go to iceland! :thumbup: Fantastic....have a brilliant time!

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Terry, All of your shots are amazing. The horse shot is my favorite. BTW, I like the power line in the last shot. I think it adds to the photo.
Enjoy the rest of your time...I'm enjoying the photos.