The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Greetings from Iceland

cjlacz

Terry, stunning pictures. It makes me want to get out and try some landscape photography. Wish I take a photography trip like that too. I'm glad to hear how well the m4/3s cameras worked for you. I'm pretty excited about that system.

Terry

Terry, stunning pictures. It makes me want to get out and try some landscape photography. Wish I take a photography trip like that too. I'm glad to hear how well the m4/3s cameras worked for you. I'm pretty excited about that system.
Thanks Charles. It was a great trip!

Terry

Some shots from the glacial lagoon....oh how I dream for another go at this site. There is a big lagoon where the glacier calves of huge chunks of ice. The lagoon is right by the ocean and as the tide goes out some of the ice is pulled out with it. As the tide comes back in some ice gets deposited back on the black sandy beach. I posted one of the beach side shots early in this thread. Here are some shots from the lagoon. You could go there everyday and have a different amazing experience. The lagoon was very full when we were there so I tried to hone in on some details of smaller pieces.....

Terry

thanks Bob!
We had a couple of tries at the lagoon bit is only now when you work on processing do you get better ideas of what you would have done differently.

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Terry - it seems you must have a hard drive full of images that will keep you busy for some time from this trip, a wonderful feeling I bet. A hard drive full of inspiration!!!

Stuart Richardson

You inspired me to get going and actually scan some of the shots I took this summer. I have spent so much time processing and printing other people's work this summer that I have not really bothered with my own! I'll post some from Landmannalaugur in the analog non-leica m thread.

Terry

Great Stuart, I will have a look. The more I look at what I've got the more I want to come back and try again. Not that I hate what I have but more "things I learned along the way" LOL.

jonoslack

Love the ice sculptures Terry - especially the last two.
now I MUST go to bed - it's a quarter to three and my contact lenses are turning to crisps:bugeyes:

mark1958

I started going through some shots. I have to state this was a family vacation and not meant to be a photo outing (as a main event). I did bring my hasselblad MF and a panasonic LX-3. I actually got more interesting shots with the later. I have to say there were a number of times I wanted to stop and take some photos but because of timing etc -- not able. I took one day and got up at 5am (although sunrise was 430a) and drove an hour to one of the national parks. Of course this was the one day there were no clouds in the skies-- or at least not until the afternoon. I did the best I could. Sunset was about 1045p and it remained dusky for most of the rest of the night and really did not have the energy to drive from the downtown out at least an hour. The cloud patterns in Iceland are fantastic in general. I would love to go back. I am posting a few shots. I have more to go through.

Terry

I have to say there were a number of times I wanted to stop and take some photos but because of timing etc -- not able.
Haha -- I was with a pure photo group and we had the same issue! There are shots along the way that would have been really gorgeous! :angry:

These look cool. What glacier are the 2nd and 3rd shots of, or a bit easier, what region were you in?

Stuart Richardson

Nice photos Mark. I definitely agree with you guys that it can be hard to drive around Iceland with others. There are so many compelling images along the way. The best way to visit is usually to just rent a car and then you have complete control. But of course, that means you don't have a local guide and knowledge etc.

Terry, as for the glacier, it looks like Sólheimajökull to me. I could be wrong of course, but the black sand and surrounding green mountains makes me think it is. It is an offshoot of Myrdalsjökull in the south.

mark1958

Stuart yes it is the Southern glacier you mentioned.. It is presumably under a volcano that is ready to blow any day within the next few years.

Don Libby

Sandy & I have been discussing returning to Alaska for a Fall shoot now we're leaning towards Iceland. Thanks Terry for a wonderful trip report.

Don