The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Camera Shop in SF?

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I'm leaving this afternoon for a week in the San Francisco area. I'm looking forward to some good food and wine, plus some temps that are a tiny bit warmer (anything over 35F will be a welcome change).

Since I'm bringing the M8, I thought it might be fun to visit a Leica dealer and actually try a few lenses instead of just reading about them. Anyone know of a Leica dealer in that vicinity?

Thanks!
Tim

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Tim:

First off, "the San Francisco area" encompasses a very large area --- how far are you wanting to drive?

In SF proper are several outstanding restaurants. Some of the best wines and wine-tasting in the world are 45 minutes North in the wine country. As far as good photo stores, there is Calumet in San Francisco which does have a rental department, but I don't know how extensive their Leica stock is. (FWIW, Gasser has deteriorated and is almost a why-bother shop nowadays. But if you're staying in SF< go ahead and check it out...) Well-stocked, there is Keeble and Shuchat Photography in Palo Alto, about 45 minutes South of central SF. And Camera West in Monterey is about an hour and 45 minute drive South. There are also some very good wineries on the way to, in and around Monterey itself, tasting rooms on cannery row.

Heck, depending on your get-away dates, you should come to our printing workshop! we'll have just about every Leica M lens represented as well as plenty of wine being consumed (that is if this group is anything like the Moab group :ROTFL:).

Cheers,

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Yeah. FWIW, all of the good employees that Gasser had now work at Keeble and Shuchat :)

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Thanks Jack. I'm definitely looking forward to some decent food and wine. Maine has a lot of wonderful things, but fine dining is not foremost among them. Which is not to say you can't find it, but you do have to look for it.

There will be a trip to the wine country, it's been too many years since I've been there.

But first we have to get there. We're stuck in Atlanta after a missed connection and the adventure of just getting there is far from over.

Do you know anything about Fireside camera in SF?

Tim

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
Best steak's I've ever had have been at Alexander's Steakhouse. It's down in Cupertino. YMMV.
V. Sattui and Frank's Family vineyards are two wineries (possibly the only two) that do not charge for tastings.

Have a safe journey.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
These cars keep jumping out at me wherever I go. This was sitting at a turnout overlooking SF, Alcatraz, the Bay bridge, etc. License plate was "34Killer".

Best,
Tim

P

plupcoutrielo

Camera Shop in SF

Look at a Sony PD-170, they all but see in the dark & a good used setup will fall right in your price range & you will have a great 3ccd camera.

There were a couple for sale on this Board

Troy