The GetDPI Photography Forums  

Go Back   The GetDPI Photography Forums > Digital Camera Reviews by GetDPI.com > Digital Camera Reviews

Site Sponsors

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st December 2007   #1
Sr. Administrator

Chamonix 4x5

Here is a quick introduction to the Chamonix 4x5 view camera ---

~~~~~

The Chamonix is a lightweight folding camera made of hardwood, aluminum and carbon fiber composites. (Maple is shown here, though it is also available in Walnut with the same black trim.) It only weighs about 4 pounds, yet is extremely rigid even fully extended. It will focus a 65mm lens on a flat lensboard at infinity, and the standard bellows is still flexible enough to allow about 8mm of rise. In this image you can also see the rear geared focus knob for the front extension bed, which is easily adjusted when under the darkcloth:

NOTE: Click the thumbs for full-size images

At full extension (about 395mm), I can focus my longest lens, a 305mm, to about 5 feet and still have full camera movements. Best of all, the camera is exceptionally rigid in this configuration:

At its minimum extension, it appears the camera could easily focus a 47mm lens at infinity, though I don't currenlty own one to confirm this:

The camera has lots of clever features built in: usuable levels in the right places, simple but convenient scale markings, easy to use adjustment and lock knobs. Here you have front extension scale (1), front standard mounting holes (2) and front shift scale (3):

The rear standard allows for some swing in addition to extension, and has convenient reference scales on the bed:

Cont...

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2007   #2
Sr. Administrator

Re: Chamonix 4x5

It has rear base tilt, the small holes being reference angles:

The front standard accepts standard Linhof Tech style boards and has a clever board mounting latch:

The rear filmback can be mounted horizontally or vertically and is Graflock compatible:

The base is made of carbon fiber composite. Here I've mounted a RRS base plate for an Ebony 45S. Also note the knobs that allow locking the rear standard adjustment pins, preventing them from sliding to and fro in the slots when loosened above for rear standard movements --- nice touch:

The camera folds up easily into a compact and well-protected bundle. Note the included carbon fiber ground-glass protector and the sliding rear standard 90* tilt stops:

I've owned more expensive and more full-featured cameras that were as close to view camera perfection as you can probably get, but to be sure, they each cost more than my first two cars combined did! At the end of the day, a good view camera is only a light-tight box that holds a sheet of film at one end and a lens at the other. What goes on in-between needs to be rigid enough to prevent camera movement during exposure and offer enough flexibility of movement to maintain or render the desired geometry for our subject. Beyond those basic abilities, added features may make photographic life more convenient, but at the same time usually add weight and bulk to the camera. And here is where we as photographers make our choices in the weight/feature trade-off game.

While the Chamonix doesn't have the full movements at both standards its more expensive brethren did, it is light, rigid and compact. And it has all the movements I typically need (and more) for my usual field shooting sessions. The Front standard has shift, rise/fall, swing and axial tilt. The front axial adjustments are easy to impart without altering rise and vice-versa. The Rear standard has base tilt and swing only, but this simplification enhances rigidity while keeping weight down. More to the point, using indirect movements I can accomplish almost any other net movement I'm likely to need for any subject, including architecture, though it may take a bit longer to set up than a more fully-featured model; IOW I can still get there, it just takes me a bit longer. The stock ground-glass is a fairly fine-grained gridded glass affair with fresnel that maybe it isn't as bright as some (Ebony), but is perhaps a bit easier to make fine focus adjustments with than others (more like Arca). Some may prefer an aftermarket GG or maybe adding a different Fresnel, but the stock set-up works just fine for me as is. Finally, the geared focus is very smooth. One full turn on the knob at the rear racks the front bed in or out exactly 12mm --- very convenient in use as you simply infer a clock face with each hour representing 1mm of movement for making DoF calculations. All in all, the Chamonix offers enough of everything necessary but not too much of anything unnecessary, especially weight; this camera is a pleasure to use in the field.

Oh, and best of all it cost less than my first car... The Chamonix shown above currently retails for about $700 in the US.

Cheers,

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
Old 1st December 2007   #3
Super Duper

Yummy.
fotografz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2007   #4

Jack

this looks like a really nice camera. Now all we need is to mount a $29,000 Phase One P45 to it and you have the ideal landscape solution. Or you could also look at the Alpa which will cost more but is reduced in size (and capability for swings, tilt and shift)

We really do have a lot of choices these days for landscape work at the highest resolutions. If only the price of the backs would come down to rational prices. I am also looking at the Mamiya/PhaseOne as a possibility. Mamiya lenses are very capable (I own the 7II and the 43mm lens for it is nothing short of sensational) and usually considerably cheaper that the Schneider or Rodenstock equivalents. The whole AFD 645 package with a digital back is a very convenient package. Much like using a 35mm DSLR system but a bit larger. Horses for courses as they say

Woody
woodyspedden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2007   #5

Good lord, after reviewing the 1DsMkIII at $8000 and the Nikon D3 at $5000 and the R10 probably coming in at close to $10K this seems almost ridiculous. If you match pixel to pixel with the 35mm alternatives you can get a really good 18 Mpx back like the PhaseOne P21+ for just north of $16K. It has all the features of the other P+ series, just less Mpx (and because of less pixels the pixel sizes are larger and noise is less). And at the end of the day you have all the advantages of swings tilts and shifts and if you want to keep the price even lower use film! Did I just really say that!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
It has rear base tilt, the small holes being reference angles:

The front standard accepts standard Linhof Tech style boards and has a clever board mounting latch:

The rear filmback can be mounted horizontally or vertically and is Graflock compatible:

The base is made of carbon fiber composite. Here I've mounted a RRS base plate for an Ebony 45S. Also note the knobs that allow locking the rear standard adjustment pins, preventing them from sliding to and fro in the slots when loosened above for rear standard movements --- nice touch:

The camera folds up easily into a compact and well-protected bundle. Note the included carbon fiber ground-glass protector and the sliding rear standard 90* tilt stops:

I've owned more expensive and more full-featured cameras that were as close to view camera perfection as you can probably get, but to be sure, they each cost more than my first two cars combined did! At the end of the day, a good view camera is only a light-tight box that holds a sheet of film at one end and a lens at the other. What goes on in-between needs to be rigid enough to prevent camera movement during exposure and offer enough flexibility of movement to maintain or render the desired geometry for our subject. Beyond those basic abilities, added features may make photographic life more convenient, but at the same time usually add weight and bulk to the camera. And here is where we as photographers make our choices in the weight/feature trade-off game.

While the Chamonix doesn't have the full movements at both standards its more expensive brethren did, it is light, rigid and compact. And it has all the movements I typically need (and more) for my typical field shooting sessions. The Front standard has shift, rise/fall, swing and axial tilt. The front axial adjustments are easy to impart without altering rise and vice-versa. The Rear standard has base tilt and swing only, but this simplification enhances rigidity while keeping weight down. More to the point, using indirect movements I can accomplish almost any other net movement I'm likely to need for any subject, including architecture, though it may take a bit longer to set up than a more fully-featured model; IOW I can still get there, it just takes me a bit longer. The stock ground-glass is a fairly fine-grained gridded glass affair with fresnel that maybe it isn't as bright as some, but is perhaps a bit easier to make fine focus adjustments with than others. Some may prefer an aftermarket GG or maybe adding a different Fresnel, but the stock set-up works just fine for me as is. Finally, the geared focus is very smooth. One full turn on the knob at the rear racks the front bed in or out exactly 12mm --- very convenient in use as you simply infer a clock face when making DoF calculations. All in all, the Chamonix offers enough of everything necessary but not too much of anything unnecessary, especially weight; this camera is a pleasure to use in the field.

Oh, and best of all it cost less than my first car... The Chamonix shown above currently retails for about $700 in the US.

Cheers,
Old 1st December 2007   #6
Sr. Administrator

One thing to keep in mind Woody, is that the current ensemble of MF digital backs does NOT like lens movements. If you shift or tilt the lens, you often imapart a color shift across the frame. Fortunately, this can be dealt with, but requires you to take a second, "white-frame" subtraciton shot for each set-up. Unfortunately that adds time to the capture side and adds work at the processing end...

Old 1st December 2007   #7
Super Moderator & Instructor

Jack would you please ban me from the MF forum and the large format forum. You guys are just making me itch and i don't want to scratch it. LOL

I shot 4x5 for many years mostly in the studio and i really loved all the movements and possibilities it gave me. I even shot a speed graphic for awhile which i used to shoot doing aerial out of helicopters for the company i worked for. Now there is a challenge than i moved to the Hassy for that stuff. I just showed my age

Now Woody you start mentioning film again i may have to come up there and have a snow ball fight with ya. LOL

www.guymancusophotography.com
Guy Mancuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2007   #8
Sr. Administrator

LOLOL! Guy, no worries bud --- that camera above and two or three lenses only costs about what a single USED M lens costs!

Film can be a drag, but scanned 4x5 is probably close to about 80 megapixels of direct digital capture... For a hobby-ist the economics might make sense if you can live with the workflow... A high-end new Imacon scanner will set you back around $12K, and the results can exceed MF DB capture... Of course you may have to wait 8 days to see your results, but if you're not getting paid to deliver masses of work inside a finite time-frame, how big a deal is it?

Just some fodder for thought...

Old 1st December 2007   #9
Super Moderator & Instructor

Really you can send out for some good high end scanning at reasonable prices these day's. It is becoming a lost Art. Amazing after 32 years as a Pro how much i have seen this industry change. I have not been in a darkroom for at least 10 years or longer. My children have no idea what film is, that is scary.

www.guymancusophotography.com
Guy Mancuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2007   #10

That Chamonix looks pretty good. Some of it reminds me of my Gandolfi Variant.

When I bought my Ebony SW23 (6x9cm) view camera I had this idea that I would some day get a digital back for it. I think I paid 1400 GBP for it then, thought DBs would come down in price. Amazingly the MF backs are still priced out of reach, most cameras are still accessories to the back. Nevertheless, it's my favorite camera, so compact (under 3 lbs) and rigid it's perfect for travel, hiking and mountaineering. The 100mm Apo-Symmar is a great one-lens config, or the 120 digitar plus 65 Super Angulon as a two-lens setup. I probably should post some pics of it here, will get to that some day.
Lars Vinberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2007   #11

Thanks for the advice Jack. These are things you don't often hear about and so you invest and then there is a loud Oh S..t!

Best

Woody

Quote:
One thing to keep in mind Woody, is that the current ensemble of MF digital backs does NOT like lens movements. If you shift or tilt the lens, you often imapart a color shift across the frame. Fortunately, this can be dealt with, but requires you to take a second, "white-frame" subtraciton shot for each set-up. Unfortunately that adds time to the capture side and adds work at the processing end...
Old 3rd December 2007   #12

Quote:
Jack, is this also true with 35mm DLSR used with large format? I do a lot of stitching with my Canon 5D/Sinar rig and haven't noticed this phenomenon. Since I'm dealing with flat art, I haven't used the tilts either. Or am I too dumb to notice?
Greg Lockrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2007   #13
Sr. Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars Vinberg View Post
That Chamonix looks pretty good. Some of it reminds me of my Gandolfi Variant.
Hi Lars:

The Gandolfi is an interesting camera for sure, but in reality, the Chamonix is really more a high-tech copy of Dick Phillips' 4x5 design.

The Ebony non-folders are in a bit different class IMO. I loved my 45SU, but this little Chamonix is 1/6th the cost!

Old 3rd December 2007   #14
Sr. Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
Thanks for the advice Jack. These are things you don't often hear about and so you invest and then there is a loud Oh S..t!
Hi Woody:

Yep, I hear you and that is precisely why I pointed it out! I can imagine a number of folks assuming their DB will behave lust like film, when that isn't always the case...

Cheers,

Old 3rd December 2007   #15
Sr. Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Lockrey View Post
Jack, is this also true with 35mm DLSR used with large format? I do a lot of stitching with my Canon 5D/Sinar rig and haven't noticed this phenomenon. Since I'm dealing with flat art, I haven't used the tilts either. Or am I too dumb to notice?
Hi Greg, great to have you here!

To answer your question, no, it isn't a problem with DSLR's for some reason... I'm not sure why, but for whatever reason ALL the MFDB's seem to have this issue, yet to the best of my knowledge, no DSLR suffers it.

Cheers,

Old 3rd December 2007   #16
Subscriber

Quote:
Hi Greg, great to have you here!

To answer your question, no, it isn't a problem with DSLR's for some reason... I'm not sure why, but for whatever reason ALL the MFDB's seem to have this issue, yet to the best of my knowledge, no DSLR suffers it.

Cheers,
The DMR suffers from it. I think the difference is the digital backs, DMR included use an IR blocking filter, not an absobstion filter like the Canon and other digital SLRs.

Robert
robsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2007   #17

Quote:

The Ebony non-folders are in a bit different class IMO. I loved my 45SU, but this little Chamonix is 1/6th the cost!
I used the ebony SW45 for a while last (and earlier) this year.
Great camera in most ways, especially its speed of set up, but I now have a chamonix 45 on order.
Very light.
Great range of usable lenses without the need for top hats etc.
All the movements I could ever need in the field. (its not for architectural work).
Fold up design should give it some protection whilst in my backpack on the ski slopes!
And of course very cheap...the 1000 difference is a lot of film and scanning!

Marc

www.marcwilson.co.uk
Marc Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2007   #18
Sr. Administrator

Marc: I think you will be well pleased with the combination of Ebony and Chamonix. I *loved* my Ebony 45SU, but at the end of the day, I don't do a lot of architecture and didn't really need more movements than this little Chamonix offers.

Cheers,

Old 5th December 2007   #19

The SW23 is a different beast than the 45SU of course, small almost tiny. Also not as pricy.

Jack - I have to admit that after trying out the lightest Wisner 8x10 Pocket Expedition for a brief while I'm a bit sceptical towards lightweight triple-draw cameras (that don't have any Ebony sticker hehe). The core flaw with the flatbed design is of course at full extension where the bed overlap is at its minimum. You say that the Chamonix is exceptionally rigid at full extension (and you don't qualify that statement with "for just $700"). How rigid, compared to the 45SU?
Lars Vinberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2007   #20

That's a really beautiful camera and $700. -China's manufacturing prowess is almost scary. It's not a camera for me though, I learned with my brief stint with a view camera that I'm allergic to tripods and the more deliberate contemplative mode of working makes me want to break something. The one large format camera that really gets me going is the Littman 45s. A rangefinder hand held 4x5 camera that's smaller and lighter then some 35mm DSLR's.

Slap a 33MP back on it with a Rodenstock 60/4 HR digital lens and you've got a Leica M8 on steroids. It's probably just as well I don't have the funds to pursue this sort of stuff as it would leave no time to take pictures.
Hank Graber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2007   #21
Sr. Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars Vinberg View Post
How rigid, compared to the 45SU?
Good question Lars --

The 45SU is a non-folding camera, and is acually quadruple extension bed, though the last extension is a large sliding dovetail made entirely out of titanium. Fully extended the 45SU has a maximum extension of around 360mm. The Chamonix is a triple extension bed different from any other folding camera design except the Phiilips. The rear bed is well supported by the large flats you can see in the images, and the front extension runs on dual parallel sliding metal dovetail assembly, and total extension on the Cham is closer to 450mm.

So all that clarified, the Cham at 450mm extension is at least as rigid as my Ebony was at 360mm, and perhaps even more so.

Cheers,

Old 5th December 2007   #22

Jack,

How is the chamonix in terms of ease / speed of opening, etc.
I have got hold of my tachihara today that I am using just for the next month for some shoots until my chamonix arrives (when the tachihara will be sold) and its a bit of a pain to set up...those non folding ebonys spoiled me!

Marc
Old 5th December 2007   #23
Sr. Administrator

Well, it's not bad, but it isn't as sweet as the non-folding Ebony LOLOLOLOL!

Bottom line, is the front standard attachment routine is my biggest nit over using the Chamonix, and I suspect most folks will have the same issue: You have to unscrew that knob at the base of the standard to fold, open or even change focal lengths with the Cham. However, in actual use it isn't that big of a deal, just significantly less convenient than the Ebony or other fully geared monorail.

But let's keep in mind, that little nit is what gives the camera such a wide extension range while also saving a ton of weight due to the reduced complexity. And it is a rigid connection...

Old 5th December 2007   #24

Post Re: Chamonix 4x5

Thanks Jack,

It's funny as playing with the tachihara today is the first time I've used a folding 54 in some time.
I look back on many of my pictures and remember the light, scene etc and the more I do so the more the quicker non folding cameras appeal to me.
Sure I love 54 for it's slowness but with the oft changing light here in Northern Europe I am starting to think back to them as even in 54 sometimes speed of set up and movements can be worthwhile.
Once set up of course all 54's are pretty much the same but...

(The pay off of course, and where something like this small chamonix comes out on top, is the need for a top hat extension on the non folders such as the ebony 45SW for my 200mm lens and not really being able to use any longer lenses, if I ever wanted to. I discount the ebony 45s in the main due to its cost!)

I was due to make my chamonix payment in a few days...mmm..better get my thinking cap back on

Marc
Old 7th December 2007   #25
BarryS

Thanks for the review--it looks like a great camera. Maybe I missed it, but who is the US distributor? I can't seem to find a distributor or a web page. Thanks.
Old 7th December 2007   #26
Sr. Administrator

Hugo Zhang is the US importer. I'll contact him and try to get him to post appropriate contact, pricing and order information here.

Old 7th December 2007   #27
Hugo Zhang

Hi Jack!

I love your Avatar! I have just signed up here. Cool Site!
Old 7th December 2007   #28
Sr. Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo Zhang View Post
Hi Jack!

I love your Avatar! I have just signed up here. Cool Site!
Welcome Hugo, and thanks!

How about telling these folks where and how they can get a Chamonix?

Cheers,

Old 7th December 2007   #29
Subscriber Member

Excellent review Jack..... Nice to read something real world related in a camera review for a change.... especially in Large Format!
Chuck Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2007   #30
Hugo Zhang

Sure, Jack. I am in southern Califonia and my email is hugoz_2000@yahoo.com I currently use a Chamonix 7x17.
Old 8th December 2007   #31

I've had email conversations with Hugo about the chamonix and he was really great..so thanks Hugo.

Marc
Old 9th December 2007   #32
BarryS

Ok Jack--you caught me in the tractor beam. I just ordered a Chamonix. Honestly, it looks like an amazing field camera. Now I just need a nice lens to start with.
Old 9th December 2007   #33
Sr. Administrator

Hi Barry:

You'll love it! Are you new to 4x5? If so, we can maybe make a few recommendations to help you get started. You mentioned a lens... What focal is your favorite on 35mm?

Old 10th December 2007   #34
BarryS

Hi Jack--

I have an old Burke & James 4 x 5 monorail that must weigh at least 20 pounds. I've hacked around a little with the B&J, but yes I'm basically a noob when it comes to 4 x 5. The B&J came with a 150mm Goertz Dogmar lens in an ancient compur shutter (dead now). If performs about as well as any lens with "dog" in the name, so it'll be remaining retired. In 35mm lenses I usually like something on the wide side, 20-24mm and something around 85-100mm. I've got the classic 50-80-150mm combination for my Hassy and I've also been happy with the 65mm lens on my Fuji GSW690 (about a 28mm in 35 land). I don't really have any preconceived notions, other than I'd like a couple of lenses that would handle urban/industrial landscapes and portraits.
Old 15th December 2007   #35
pmcc

Hi Jack,

I'm interested in your response to BarryS, and the views of any other wisemen out there. I am new to 4x5 but not new to photography -- have been shooting hand cameras (mainly Leica M, some 6x6 and 6x7) for ages, and lately put together a darkoom in the corner of the basement to do my own developing and printing (up to 11x14, mainly RC, no FB yet and no color). I have *zero* prior experience with LF but after following various threads have come to the point where I'm looking at things like Shen Hao, Tachihara, Toyo, Toho. Here's what I have done: bldgs and interiors with 24/25mm lenses (expressed in 35mm format terms), general shooting with 35mm and 50mm, portraiture with 50mm and 75-90mm. With hand cameras it's mostly been people, travel and street photography. What i'd like to try with LF is landscape work -- urban and otherwise; environmental portraiture in an architectural setting; female figure work; other things I haven't thought of where LF capability would enhance my choices beyond those of small cameras. So here are the three questions:

1) It seems a bit rash to get the camera first and then figure out the rest, but I've read all the Chamonix threads here and on the largeformatphotography website and I'm seduced by the buzz. Given that I want to give LF a try, is it a mistake to start this way, or should I take a cold shower, a LF photo class at Foothill, buy a book, rent some old beater and then figure out what I want after I understand it better?
2) I'm assuming I could get near term delivery of a Chamonix or something comparable. But the Chamonix looks like it represents the right mix of features and assortment of tradeoffs in a good value package, and thus maybe a reasonable starting point for a somewhat unfocused (groan) newbie to LF. So, is the Chamonix the right camera to start with for a newbie like me? Sounds like I'm trying to talk myself into it, but really, I'd like unvarnished opinions and advice from all comers.
3) Given my interests in photography, can you suggest a single lens type to start with, as well as some choices in a three lens kit? All lenses that would have reasonably availability in the used market (wherever that is).

Thanks,
PMCC
SF, CA
Old 15th December 2007   #36
Sr. Administrator

Hi Barry and pmcc:

Sorry for taking so long to respond --- I swapped computers this week and lost track of a few threads.

First, understand the 4x5 doesn't translate exactly to 35mm proportions in the traditional sense; wides feel wider, teles feel longer. that said, a 135, 150 or 180 is about "normal". If we select 150 as our base for normal, then a 75 would be an extreme wide and a 300 a pretty long tele. A 90 or 110 is perhaps a more normal wide, a 210 or 240 makes a good portrait lens...

My current stable covers the gamut: a 75, 110, 150, 210 and 305. I also have an old style 190 as a special effect portrait or tabletop lens. The beauty of 4x5 is the lenses are very affordable, at least by Leica or medium format standards. A late model, top-quality 150 from Schneider or Rodenstock used in mint condition might run $400 - $500 tops. A good 300 can be had for about $700, a good 90 for $500. Top 210's can be had for $400. Go to a version or two older generation lens, still excellent performers, and prices are half. The 110 is a new design, specialty lens from Schneider and costs over $1000 used.

I used to stick with newer or one generation old Schneider when possible for color-cast consistency, though this is less important now that I scan since I can easily color correct in post.

So the bottom line is you could get an excellent trio of 90, 150 and 210 for under $1000 and these would likely cover 90% of every imaging situation you'd want. Also, 4x5 film is very "croppable" so you could even go with 75, 15 and 300 and cover 95% of your needs with a few minor crops... Add $700 for the Chamonix if you don't want to use your Burke and James. Add in $50 for a focusing loupe, $15 for a cheap black T-shirt jacket to use a dark cloth, $100 for a readyload film holder, maybe $200 for a decent spot meter and a box of readyload film and you are all set with a top outfit for about $2000.

Cheers,

Old 15th December 2007   #37
DougDolde

I don't know why I read all the digital forums. I'm still using 4x5, an Arca Swiss Field and paying $16 each for Imacon 949 scans from India (Jainco Tech). Sometimes I will get a drum scan done for special trannies if WCI is having a scan sale.

It's nuts for me to even think about digital but the lure is still there. I'd love a 1Ds Mark III but when you add lenses the cost really is high as I have no lenses except large format ones now. Reading this post shows me that I'm not the only one who sees the economy of 4x5 film.

I just bought a mint Schneider Super Symmar HM 150mm lens for $600 bucks and have sworn off credit card purchased for camera gear that I can't pay off in a week or less.

This is really a good time to be shopping on Ebay. Christmas time means fewer bidders. All their dough is going into presents.
Old 15th December 2007   #38
Sr. Administrator

Hi Doug:

Good point on the time to buy, especially large format stuff seems to slow down between Christmas and taxes. $600 for A SS HM was a steal --- congrats!

Cheers

Old 16th December 2007   #39
Sean_Reid

The camera looks great, something like the Wista I used to have but with more movements.

Cheers,

Sean
Old 16th December 2007   #40
BarryS

Jack--thanks for the advice. My Chamonix is on the way from China, I've bought a 90mm Nikkor SW f/8 and have some extra filmholders on the way. The 90mm was little pricey, but I was looking for something light, sharp, and with a big image circle. I have to have one splurge. I already have a spot meter and a 4x loupe, so all I need is a lensboard and some film to get in business. The 150's look cheap and the 210's are only a little more, so I should have a three lens kit put together quickly. I scrounged some 8x10 Chromega drums and a roller base from my junk box for developing the film.
Old 16th December 2007   #41
Sr. Administrator

Sounds great Barry! Sounds like the popularity of the 150's and 210's has swapped 6 months ago, you couldn't give away a 210 plasmat -- they were selling for under $300 while 150's were holding up around $450/500. Anyway, you are on the road to assembling a super 4x5 kit --- enjoy and post some images!

Cheers,

Old 17th December 2007   #42
BarryS

Thanks, I'll definitely post some photos as soon as I'm up and running. I got a nice 150mm Caltar-II N this morning for around $150--seems like a good deal. I'm thinking about a 240 to complete the set.
Old 26th March 2008   #43
herbert

hello,
are the bellows exchangeable?
if yes I am interested in the outer size of the mounting metalframes of the bellows...
can anybody help?
thanks
bg
herbert
Old 27th March 2008   #44
Sr. Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbert View Post
hello,
are the bellows exchangeable?
if yes I am interested in the outer size of the mounting metalframes of the bellows...
can anybody help?
thanks
bg
herbert
Hi Herbert:

Yes, the bellows are exchangeable. As such, one could have virtually any combination bellows manufactured. Personally, I would like to see a double-fold neoprene bag bellows for short lenses and larger amounts of rise or shift. Anyway, I am currently out of town and without the Cham, but can measure them early next week. In the meantime, you might contact Chamonix directly as I have found them very responsive.

Cheers,

Old 27th March 2008   #45
herbert

Hi Jack,
thank you - do you have the direct contact from Chamonix?
Or ist this Hugo?
br
Herbert
Old 31st March 2008   #46
Sr. Administrator

Hugo is the best direct contact for Chamonix info, at least he's who I use.

Old 29th May 2008   #47
tcpip321

I just ordered a 4x5 Chamonix and cannot wait to receive it. I do have one question though relative to the rear standard. I know the camera has a graflok back, but can the Ground Glass be removed to allow a 4x5 to 6x9 graflex roll film back to be fitted??
Old 29th May 2008   #48
Sr. Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcpip321 View Post
I just ordered a 4x5 Chamonix and cannot wait to receive it. I do have one question though relative to the rear standard. I know the camera has a graflok back, but can the Ground Glass be removed to allow a 4x5 to 6x9 graflex roll film back to be fitted??
If the 6x9 back is the normal 4x5 graflok standard, then yes it will fit. If it is the smaller proprietary 6x9 graflex size, then I don't think so -- pretty sure you'll need the sliding graflex to graflok adapter as well.

Old 29th May 2008   #49
tcpip321

Thanks Jack. The film holders I have are the 4x5 size that have the 6x9 opening and a regular 2x3 graflex back attached to it, so I should be good to go? They are not graflok size though, but work on my Canham DLC as the ground glass can be removed from that and the roll film holder front has the same dimension as a 4x5 double dark slide holder.
Old 29th May 2008   #50
Sr. Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcpip321 View Post
Thanks Jack. The film holders I have are the 4x5 size that have the 6x9 opening and a regular 2x3 graflex back attached to it, so I should be good to go? They are not graflok size though, but work on my Canham DLC as the ground glass can be removed from that and the roll film holder front has the same dimension as a 4x5 double dark slide holder.
Sounds like it should work on the Cham too then