The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji FinePix X100

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I wish it had interchangeable lenses. The design is beautiful with the simple controls. They are getting closer to the camera that I want.

peterb

If you didn't the Leica X1 because you thought it was just a little shy of what it could of been you may have been given a second chance. ;)

Godfrey

I disagree on the fixed vs interchangeable lens business. Frankly, DSLRs and Micro-FourThirds type cameras do that well enough to satisfy my need for it. When I need interchangeable lenses, I'm happy to carry one of them around.

In a camera of this type, a fast, wide-normal lens and excellent controls coupled with excellent responsiveness, image quality, and the right degree of compactness are all that matters to me.

I think Fuji is to be applauded for this design. If its responsiveness is up to expectations (I doubt there will be any real difficulties with controls, lens or image quality ...!), it will be a delight. :)

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Could have been a winner ...

I'm with Cindy and Diane on this.
At first glance it looked very interesting.
But the lack of interchangeable lenses makes it of no interest for me.

Tim

I disagree on the fixed vs interchangeable lens business. Frankly, DSLRs and Micro-FourThirds type cameras do that well enough to satisfy my need for it. When I need interchangeable lenses, I'm happy to carry one of them around.

In a camera of this type, a fast, wide-normal lens and excellent controls coupled with excellent responsiveness, image quality, and the right degree of compactness are all that matters to me.

I think Fuji is to be applauded for this design. If its responsiveness is up to expectations (I doubt there will be any real difficulties with controls, lens or image quality ...!), it will be a delight. :)
I agree with Godfrey on this, I'd bet nearly everyone that buys a X100 will own other cameras, they will have other interchangable cameras in their stable.

If you read about the "decisive moment" camera, this is very much what has been asked for. Only time will tell if the IQ and handling are there. I could easily take this kind of camera on holidays as my only camera.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
I agree with Godfrey and Tim on this one.

This combined EVF and OVF has been nirvana for the rangefinder people amongst us for over a decade. Clip on EVFs add a lot of size and weight. I can do bokehgraphy with this camera, now that I am able to see the bokeh. And this functionality is packed into an efficient and beautiful body. I wonder how much it will cost :rolleyes:

Keith

V

Vivek

Samsung NX10, SonyNEX5 (both with kit pancake lenses) cost around $650 ish.

Despite the fixed lens, add a ~$100 premium for the metal stuff and the simplicity.

US $800/- or less and I am sold.

iiiNelson

I agree with Vivek. Price will determine the greater success of this. My largest issue with the X1 is the price v. the versatility. $2000 gets you a lot of cameras that are much more versatile. They may not be Leica's but I don't find the output of the X1 being any better than Micro 4/3 in reality from samples I've seen.

If this camera goes for over $1000 it will mostly likely be a commercial failure but for $600-850 I'm in personally.

iiiNelson

I'm also with Cindy, Diane, and Steen on the fact that if this were a system camera I would be much more "sold" on it. I'm still searching for the "perfect" EVIL/ Compact Digital system. Micro 4/3 comes the closet overall but obviously there's room for improvement. NEX has potential with the size and sensor but the menu system doesn't work as well as dedicated dials. We also need a E-mount roadmap. The rumored Leica Full Frame EVIL would be nice hypothetically... M9 is great but not an EVIL. I'd feel weird carrying upwards of 15K in camera equipment with me too...

mathomas

Bit and pieces I'm seeing around the web (FWIW) seem to lean toward the mid-teens, say $1500+/-. Not cheap, but cheaper than the X1 (but without the Leica brand, of course).

V

Vivek

$1500/- would make the X1 attractive since the X1 comes with a LR bundle and the Leica stamp.

mathomas

If this camera hits the market in the mid-teens with all its features intact, good fast AF (with a good manual option), and with great IQ, I'd buy it over the X1, and I'm a total Leica fanboy.

(but I'm a long-time Aperture user, so the LR gimme with the X1 isn't worth much to me)

V

Vivek

Well, the price would certainly clarify who the potential buyers would be.:)

Geoff

Fixed lens might also mean no dust bunnies.

(well you could leave a removable lens on, but who does that in reality?)

Tim

$1500/- would make the X1 attractive since the X1 comes with a LR bundle and the Leica stamp.
Even if the X1 bundle comes with LR the Fuji still makes the X1 look way overpriced considering that Fuji viewfinder thats included in the price, AND great tech to boot. IF the Fuji has good or great fast accurate AF and a great lens the X1 won't even be in the race. The Leica stamp mean zero to me.

The fixed lens mean faster startup, no zzing zzing lenses in/out, just power up. I assume its a non-retracting lens?

I'm firmly in the fixed lens camp for this round at least. Doesn't bother me one bit, not when people are willing to shell out $2,000 for a fixed lens X1 that I am fairly confident the X100 will trounce (maybe 100x as good? :)