The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji FinePix X100

V

Vivek

The good (great) news: Price will come in at $1,000

The bad news: We have to wait until March 1st :(

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/21/fujifilms-finepix-x100-ships-march-2011-for-1-000-we-go-hands/

From that link:

We just stopped by the Fujifilm booth in order to grab some video time with this guy, and sadly, the model that they had on display lacked a sensor of any kind.
:ROTFL:

Fuji are marketing a concept. :ROTFL:

(still way better than Olympsu plastic boxes)

From that link:

:ROTFL:

Fuji are marketing a concept. :ROTFL:

(still way better than Olympsu plastic boxes)
Yeah, I love how the sample marketing images have a notation stating that they are *simulated.

Doesn't matter, the marketing wonks have done their job and generated a hellfire of interest on the www.

Given, what we can see, the body design and the hybrid OVF, I'm giving them enough credit to place my pre-order.

jminor

I like what I see so far, and the March 11 release date is perfect as it gives me time to save for the purchase. Plus, I'm sure we will learn more and more about the final product as the release date approaches. There is a lot of whining about the fixed lens, but that is a liberating feature, and like most folks, this won't be our only camera. I will continue to use and enjoy my E-PL1 and it's assortment of lenses. And if this is like some have said the first of new breed of camera from Fuji, all the better. To paraphrase Neil Armstrong, One small step for Fuji, One giant leap for digital photography. :thumbs:

jminor

I have a couple questions regarding the sensor. Is there a real noticable difference in image quality between an APS-C and 4/3rds sensor? Are the Fuji sensors a different breed than sensors from Sony and Panasonic, as far as their real world performance goes?

V

Vivek

I have a couple questions regarding the sensor. Is there a real noticable difference in image quality between an APS-C and 4/3rds sensor?
YES.

Are the Fuji sensors a different breed than sensors from Sony and Panasonic, as far as their real world performance goes?

As to the X100, it is still vaporware. We can only go by Fuji's claims for now.

Fuji had different sensors in their DSLRs. Leica have also made lenses with awesome bokeh. Fuji are trying to sell something based on their past record.
How X100 performs, when it actually shows up, remains to be seen.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
I have a couple questions regarding the sensor. Is there a real noticable difference in image quality between an APS-C and 4/3rds sensor? Are the Fuji sensors a different breed than sensors from Sony and Panasonic, as far as their real world performance goes?

Everything else being equal a larger sensor will give you higher Sensitivity, less Noise, wider Dynamic Range, and a more shallow Depth Of Field.

The problem is that "Everything else" is never equal, so we always have to compare the different systems and sensors in real use, or judge the actual results.

That said we can at least illustrate how small or big the size difference is between Four Thirds and APS-C (and also Full 24x36mm) sensors. See the below illustrations.

Of course the difference will be somewhat reduced if you tend to often crop the ends of the long dimension on the 3:2 aspect ratio to gain more of a 4:3 aspect ratio or so.

Personally I wouldn't upgrade for the sensor size difference alone.
But if I were to buy a new camera I would definitely go for the larger APS-C sensor over the smaller 4/3, everything else being equal :rolleyes:

With regards to the Fuji sensors breed, Fuji has since 1999 developed their own proprietary Super CCD sensors with a unique layout using octagonal, rather than rectangular, pixels.
But be aware that according to the dpreview link Fujifilm is this time going to put a CMOS sensor in the X100 camera.
So far I have seen no informations about who is the manufacturer of this sensor.

V

Vivek

Everything else being equal
The fact is, they are not. The current crop of APS-C sensors used in DSLRs (and non DSLRs) are far better than any 4/3rds and m4/3rds sensors made by Panasonic.

jonoslack

The fact is, they are not. The current crop of APS-C sensors used in DSLRs (and non DSLRs) are far better than any 4/3rds and m4/3rds sensors made by Panasonic.
HI Vivek
I was going to disagree with your YES - as the difference in size between APS-C and 4/3 really shouldn't amount to much (the wrotniak link shows it very well I think).

However - I do agree with you that the current Panasonic sensors found in 4/3 really don't seem to be as good as those in the Canon / Nikon / Sony cameras - a look at the A55 noise levels in Dpreview shows this up pretty well. These differences aren't to do with sensor size, but sensor quality. Pity really.

all the best

V

Vivek

HI Vivek

However - I do agree with you that the current Panasonic sensors found in 4/3 really don't seem to be as good as those in the Canon / Nikon / Sony cameras - a look at the A55 noise levels in Dpreview shows this up pretty well. These differences aren't to do with sensor size, but sensor quality. Pity really.

all the best
Exactly why I said what I said, Jono. Even if one crops an APS-C sensor image down to fit a 4/3rds image, the difference will be obvious.

A pity indeed.

jminor

Thanks for the information folks. Sensor size alone isn't the primary factor of my interest in this camera. And it isn't going to replace my m4/3rds camera, but will be a potential companion to my E-LP1.
Thanks again,
John

S

starfm

Looks cool, might be a good replacement for my current digital camera. Hopefully the price will be good.

V

Vivek

A wicked thought...;)

Since the camera would have an EVF and liveview, I do not see any harm in ripping the built-in lens off and putting a mount to use this cam as an interchangeable lens camera.