The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji FinePix X100

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I doubt it - otherwise why didn't they do it in the first step?
There is a rumour floating around that they do indeed have plans for a camera with exchangeable lenses based on the same, or at least a similar, concept. That would make sense, since the viewfinder seems to be a brilliant idea. A semi-EVIL with hybrid viewfinder and a Fuji sensor? I would dig out my wallet relatively fast for that. Just have to buy a wallet first :D

V

Vivek

I think the Fujinon 23/2 in the proposed X100 is going to be swell.

I also think that it would not be difficult for Fuji to make an interchangeable lens cam.

Leica M mount patents are not there any more, are they? There are hundreds of thousands of Leica fit lenses floating around and very few of them see any action (not counting the fondler varieties) on an M8 or M9.

The hotshoe with connections for a TTL flash on the proposed X100 indicates a system thinking and not just a one off P&S cam.

jonoslack

There is a rumour floating around that they do indeed have plans for a camera with exchangeable lenses based on the same, or at least a similar, concept. That would make sense, since the viewfinder seems to be a brilliant idea. A semi-EVIL with hybrid viewfinder and a Fuji sensor? I would dig out my wallet relatively fast for that. Just have to buy a wallet first :D
Well, if it comes I can see that there would be some attraction.
Vivek - presumably a modified M mount is the obvious direction - but I wonder if they'll take the obvious, I can see that one might anticipate more lens sales by making proprietary. . . . . . and autofocus too. . . . . . So it would have to be some kind of modified M mount which allowed for electrical connections with AF lenses - interesting thought.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Well, if it comes I can see that there would be some attraction.
Vivek - presumably a modified M mount is the obvious direction - but I wonder if they'll take the obvious, I can see that one might anticipate more lens sales by making proprietary. . . . . . and autofocus too. . . . . . So it would have to be some kind of modified M mount which allowed for electrical connections with AF lenses - interesting thought.
Fuji would probably design a completely new mount. They aren't afraid of small niches, and they have lots and lots of experience. Something along the lines of a Contax G, but with a hybrid viewfinder and obviously Fujinon lenses.

V

Vivek

Actually, Jono, I am uncertain about the proposed X100 precisely because it has an AF lens.

I am really tired of the CDAF crap.

Fuji could leave those creations to Pana, Sony, Oly, Sam and Leica and make some real lenses.

jonoslack

Actually, Jono, I am uncertain about the proposed X100 precisely because it has an AF lens.

I am really tired of the CDAF crap.
Yes - it's been quite a revelation playing with the humble A33 - it sure focuses!

I think I can say that I no longer have a camera which uses CDAF - such a relief!

V

Vivek

What does the A33 offer (AF wise) that the Olympus, Sony, Nikon DSLRs you have used have not?

Really, these A33/55 are a rehash of the old stuff- unless the focusing is superior to the old- isn't it?

Just because they can shoot video and focus accurately (compared to the regular DSLRs)while videoing, does not make them any better to the current crop of DSLRs.

jonoslack

What does the A33 offer (AF wise) that the Olympus, Sony, Nikon DSLRs you have used have not?

Really, these A33/55 are a rehash of the old stuff- unless the focusing is superior to the old- isn't it?

Just because they can shoot video and focus accurately (compared to the regular DSLRs)while videoing, does not make them any better to the current crop of DSLRs.
I don't suppose they're better than the current crop of dSLR's - although the continuous focus seems to me to be considerably better than anything I've used before. Certainly when you take a shot and want to continue. Presumably this is because the mirror up doesn't affect the focusing.

But for me the real point is to have something which is very small, and which has a usefully large viewfinder (who would have believed I'd ever say this about an evf). It's really not much bigger than your G1, and the decent high ISO makes a fairly slow kit lens useable - even at fast shutter speeds and a long focal length.

Also it really doesn't seem to hunt.

But the proof of the pudding is in the eating, and the camera just 'feels' very agile and effective, and I was getting a much higher hit rate with the dog than I ever managed before - even with the D700 and D3 (although that probably relates more to my ability:
1. to swing a camera with a 400 equivalent focal length fast enough
2. understand all the nuances of Nikon's AF module)

Sorry - this is a diversion - but really it's in response to your CDAF comments, which I agree with - I'd rather use manual focus with a rangefinder!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Sorry - this is a diversion - but really it's in response to your CDAF comments, which I agree with - I'd rather use manual focus with a rangefinder!
It's an interesting diversion. For "slow photography", which I find very satisfying, I'm leaning more and more towards manual focus. I guess I should have a Leica, but they are too costly for me. It will be very interesting to see what the Fuji has to offer within this area.

jonoslack

It's an interesting diversion. For "slow photography", which I find very satisfying, I'm leaning more and more towards manual focus. I guess I should have a Leica, but they are too costly for me. It will be very interesting to see what the Fuji has to offer within this area.
Except that there really isn't anything slow about focusing with a Leica . . faster than CDAF in many circumstances anyway!

jonoslack

I agree that RF focusing can be fast given the right eyes.
My eyes are standard 'old git' eyes (i.e. longsighted), not perfect - I can even focus okay without glasses, it just 'feels' right - I think it's mostly practice, it's no good shooting a few hundred shots a year and expecting to be good at it.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Except that there really isn't anything slow about focusing with a Leica . . faster than CDAF in many circumstances anyway!
I believe you. I focused manually for 40 years and never worried about it. Focusing only became a challenge when I bought my first AF camera (the S3). It's mostly a question of what we see in the viewfinder. This is one of the reasons why I'm buying the RX. It's the best viewfinder for manual focusing I've used (also compared to my OM-cameras, I've checked), at least this side of medium format.

So if Fuji could equip their hybrid viewfinder with a electronic focusing patch like in a rangefinder camera, that would really be something, wouldn't it?

sagar

I find Ricoh GXR more interesting than Fuji X100. With an exception of a viewfinder its much more flexible fixed lens camera. that is if you don't think it as a system but am option to choose your lens.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Re: still no interchangeable lenses

Fujifilm has released more details of its Finepix X100.
Seems like they didn't add a mount for interchangeable lenses.
What a pity :(

http://www.finepix-x100.com/latest-updates
But they did explain why they didn't; size and image quality seems to be their reasons, both for the fixed lens and it being a non-zoom. I have no problems with that. It is what it is, and if it sells, they might come up with something more in the future.

Godfrey

I for one am glad they're sticking with a fixed lens mount. It affords more opportunity to optimize a particular lens and sensor, a particular camera, as a package. It's not a solution for everyone or every shooting situation.

I've already got my interchangeable lens cameras and my lens kit ... I don't want another 'system' to fuss with. I want a simple, high quality compact camera for when the system camera is overkill and too much to carry.

The Fuji X100 looks perfect for that.

Paratom

I for one am glad they're sticking with a fixed lens mount. It affords more opportunity to optimize a particular lens and sensor, a particular camera, as a package. It's not a solution for everyone or every shooting situation.

I've already got my interchangeable lens cameras and my lens kit ... I don't want another 'system' to fuss with. I want a simple, high quality compact camera for when the system camera is overkill and too much to carry.

The Fuji X100 looks perfect for that.
IMO the only reason for a fixed lens is size and weight.
But then at the size of the x100 I wonder if it should not have been possible to make it interchangable (if I look at m4/3 and Leica M).
I find the x1 size much more attractive for a compact. I do not know if I find the x100 compact. Still an attractive camera. I would probably rather go with a used M8 though and have the option to shoot also ultrawide or short 50mm FOV if I wanted, even though 35mm works fine for many things.

Godfrey

IMO the only reason for a fixed lens is size and weight.
But then at the size of the x100 I wonder if it should not have been possible to make it interchangable (if I look at m4/3 and Leica M).
I find the x1 size much more attractive for a compact. I do not know if I find the x100 compact. Still an attractive camera. I would probably rather go with a used M8 though and have the option to shoot also ultrawide or short 50mm FOV if I wanted, even though 35mm works fine for many things.
Don't forget cost.