The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji FinePix X100

R

raymondluo

Why do people so easily assume the non-use of 16MP sensors mean that Fuji is using a previous generation sensor? Megapixels are not representative of sensors or image quality. In fact the smaller megapixel specified the higher the pixel density will be. And pixel density is an important factor in image quality.

This is why Nikon cameras have to much extent not played the megapixel race, and quite likely a contributing factor to why Olympus swore on the nothing beyond 12MP rule.

And even if Fuji is using a previous generation sensor, it is specified exactly to the lens. One thing I loved they did is talk about how the light hits the lens and they've modified to do that (as they say) perfectly. This is a problem very relevant in interchangeable systems and adaptable lenses but it is a largely unknown issue only mostly obscurely discussed, and insurmountable to test.

In any case what I'm saying is that as a gearhead, photography is about making smart compromises. In this they've sacrificed interchangeability(usability) for image quality. And at 35mm f/2 135 equiv? that's a smart compromise that works for me. Although I haven't looked at it's actual size yet.

R

raymondluo

In retrospect for size I realized that even thought the Leica X1 is smaller, I would still be tempted to add the accessory grip for it anyways, making it no less the same than the Fuji X100.

It seems I am a definite buyer.

Lars

The viewfinder article confirms once again that Fuji is using a no-compromise approach to the design of the X100. I agree with Terry - great marketing. It will be very interesting to see how this carries over to the actual product.

Anders_HK

A camera shop here in Hong Kong where I know the folks estimate a price of 11,000 HKD or over 1,400 USD. Camera gear in Hong Kong is usually around low price level in USA.

Any takers @ 1,500 USD???

Perhaps we should ask Jack delete this thread to avoid speculation and a bubble???

Regards
Anders

Godfrey

Fuji stated when it was announced a US price ~$1000.

If it performs to expectations, ~$1500 is not out of bounds.

Yes, I'd buy one.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Looks all very appealing!

I know I may sound pessimistic now, but I only can hope it is not so much over hype as it was while Olympus introduced the E3, which was highly praised but finally could not come close to my (and also others) expectations in different areas. Unfortunately the whole marketing campaign reminds me very much on that E3 launch - lot of hot air .....

Lets keep fingers crossed ;)

Martin S

What better way to keep the X-100 in our minds than by these periodic messages from the design team.

A very effective marketing tool. I hope that the final product is as well thought out, and as functional as these periodic messages.

They certainly keep me interested.

Martin

Martin S

As an addendum to my prior post, I would like to see some discussions from Fuji of how more detailed technical information and operational details were arrived at.

Since the appearance of these articles seem to be as to how certain physical, and construction decisions were made early on in the design phase, it would be interesting to see discussions of how more technical decisions were made.

How fast was the AF in normal and low light operation supposed to be, and what ways of optimizing these design parameters were possible.

Similarly, the noise levels and speed of the sensor, rate of buffer clearing, and speed of burst mode etc. How were the final characteristics determined, and implemented???

Also, sharpness, and general handling qualities. How were these parameters optimized??? How fast is the camera for the next shot???? Speed of CPU, and even which CPU???

Since Fuji likes to provide such specific details, as to the material, and even stitching of the camera case, how about telling us about the internal discussions for the strength of the AA filter, or construction materials of, and predicted longevity of the shutter.

I realize that some of his will be available in reviews just prior to release, but it is now close enough to the predicted release date that Fuji should start to release some of this information now.

Just my opinion. YMMV.

Martin

Godfrey

I decided to test the form factor of the X100 for my use as an adjunct to my SLR system. I pulled out my Olympus Trip 35, unused for many years but still in perfect condition. Just about the same size and weight, slightly longer focal length equivalent (40mm f/2.8 rather than 35mm f/2), similar simplicity of controls.

I loaded a roll of Ilford XP2 Super and will be shooting with it this week ... but at first play, the beautiful, clear bright line finder, compact but not fiddly size, simple controls, etc etc are looking to be a very nice carry-anywhere camera.

Makes me even more eager to see the Fuji X100 in the flesh. What am I doing to myself? ;-)

Anders_HK

Fuji stated when it was announced a US price ~$1000.

If it performs to expectations, ~$1500 is not out of bounds.

Yes, I'd buy one.

Well, if price around 1500 usd seems Fuji only got one taker in one week.

At first their site seemed present smart to me, but now is looking over done. Comes down to it, what is actual image quality???

One serious contender could be the iPhone 5, cheaper, even if less image quality would be always in pocket anyways, and no extra charger.

Fuji should bear in mind in my opinion that they market to among folks serious in photography and very high end gear. Thus... Will X100 stack up??

Rgds
Anders

Godfrey

Well, if price around 1500 usd seems Fuji only got one taker in one week.
One serious contender could be the iPhone 5, cheaper, even if less image quality would be always in pocket anyways, and no extra charger.

Fuji should bear in mind in my opinion that they market to among folks serious in photography and very high end gear. Thus... Will X100 stack up??
Just because more people haven't jumped up and said "I'll buy!" doesn't mean that they've only got me as a customer ... :)

But comparing it to an iPhone camera? That seems a little silly, IMO. Fuji's fixed lens rangefinder cameras were loved by pros and advanced photographers ... and they weren't cheap either. There are always people who are willing to pay for real quality.

Of course, no one can say how the camera performs until it ships and gets into the hands of users. I'll make my purchase decision when I evaluate one for real, in the flesh.

J

jorgeAD

Hi there... Its been a while since my last post, yet, since I always found people at this formu extremely friendly and knowledgeable...

I still love my little Ricoh GRD-2 as it has the most intuitive controls of any camera I have used. Its tiny sensor is great for zone focusing, especially with the 21mm equivalent lens add-on, and does not seems to sacrifice any sharpness at all. Sadly it is hopelessly noisy beyond ISO 400. So whenever I plan to work with available-light or use depth-of-field to separate subject from background, I have to drag along an EOS 7D and fast primes.

Enter the FinePix X-100, promising and uber-corrected, fine-tuned by hand, fast 35 mm equivalent lens that just by itself would cost around 700$ (its closest quality comparison would be Canon 24mm 1.4 L mkii, 1500$ ), a camera with real physical controls that stay put, CMOS sensor with offset microlenses to correct vignetting, standard ISO 6400 sensitivity, dynamic range greater than the legendary Finepix S5, 5 fps, and a big bright optical hybrid viewfinder that lets one electronically review the shot without having to remove the eye from the eyepiece.

So I have a couple of questions, as I understand the X-100 hardware to be finalized:

Is the X-100 really using the Sony sensor from Nikons D700/A300 ?

http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=207910&sid=87358c8a2d0c3326db6a87c0709b3d43

Any idea on how to get Fuji to use DNG instead of forcing us to change workflows or compromise image quality ?

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2010/12/fuji-x100-update.html

Any insight if the X-100 contrast-detection AF might be able to focus in candlelight as my 7D does ? (deal-breaker for me... I know i know I should just wait for real world tests...)

Thanks for your time, and sorry for my non native english.:confused:

Godfrey

So I have a couple of questions, as I understand the X-100 hardware to be finalized:

Is the X-100 really using the Sony sensor from Nikons D700/A300 ?
Any idea on how to get Fuji to use DNG instead of forcing us to change workflows or compromise image quality ?
- If it's using a derivative of the D700/A300 sensor, it will be good.

- I'll wait for Adobe to include it in their raw support ... at which point whether it is FRW or DNG is irrelevant.

- Anything else, it all depends what's in the final package when it ships.

Terry

Fuji on their website have said that they expect support from third party raw developers in addition to the version of silkypix that they supply. This upfront acknowledgement of the other raw programs leaves me hopeful that they will supply the needed files to Adobe and others fast enough to get quick support.