The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji X100 preview at dPreview

Terry

Looking good but seems like there are a lot of loose ends to sort out in the short time between now and March. Hopefully it won't be released before being fully baked.

jonoslack

Looking good but seems like there are a lot of loose ends to sort out in the short time between now and March. Hopefully it won't be released before being fully baked.
Hi Terry
I guess they will have had to give dpreview something 'stable' if unfinished, so they may already be way ahead of this stage.

peterb

Yes, it's a very nice 'box' (nearly the size and feel, perhaps, of an M9) but what remains to be seen are the quality of the optic (it's bokeh possibilities they allured to as well as it's resistance to flare, ghosting, CA's and other artifacts), resolution of the sensor and the quality/noise of the final image either through it's own internal processing or in post through software like LR3.X.

Still it's curious that Fuji hasn't revealed the sensor's length/width pixel dimensions. Surely they have to know by now. The current claim of 12.3 million pixels would suggest a sensor akin to Nikon's D300S or Sony's A500 both of which have dimensions of 4272 x 2848...also suggesting that Sony which makes the chips for BOTH cameras cut a deal with Fuji to supply some spares they may have had lying around from over production, perhaps. : ) But regardless...the sensor used in the D300s was no slouch. And would allow for a very nice image from this camera that offers so much potential.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Looks like a sure winner to me. If the image quality is on par with the cameras it was being compared to, I think it will quickly move to the top ranks of its class. I am especially excited by the viewfinder arrangement and predict it will be a trendsetter in that regard with other companies scrambling to come up with their own version of that feature. Kudos to Fuji!

peterb

The hybrid finder is nothing short of brilliant (literally). That said, the review mentioned the view has .5x magnification of the scene (with the framelines having 90% accuracy). Leica M's have been around .58x at the smallest (to accommodate their wider lenses at the time without needing an external VF) but typically around .68x and .72x. Doesn't that suggest the x100 may be a somewhat 'peephole' experience?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Interesting new ideas as we all know.

I first would need one in my hans for at least a few hours before i could say something. Not sure if the HVF comes up to known standards in real life - for me this would be the most important question.

And I still find the fixed lens approach very limiting .....

peterb

Thanks to Terry's website I can confirm that the sensor size is 4288 x 2848 (which is EXACTLY the same size as the Nikon D300S/Sony A500 sensor!). I downloaded the jpegs from the site and when I checked the image size (and a little calculator I created on a spread sheet to check it) it was confirmed. Now on their special microsite, Fuji claims that the sensor is 'specially made' for them. That may be true if they've created a 'custom' microlense' array over the pixels to compliment their lens. If that is the case then it could be a rather interesting camera to behold. And if Fuji's new EXR processing engine can keep noise and other artifacts at bay, then despite the sensor's rather smallish resolution (vs what's now becoming typical) with a 3.3 Mp/cm2 density and good noise control substantially sized images of decent pixel-peeping quality may be possible.

jonoslack

I'm sure it'll be lovely, and it obviously has some advantages over the X1 (although perhaps not the lens).

My problem with it is that it's a 12mp camera with an AA filter . . . . that is SO last decade :ROTFL:

peterb

LOL Jono, you're very right. But while 12.3 MP is SOOOO last decade it still isn't THAT bad.

With a custom (mild) AA filter and microlens array and a good processing engine (that Fuji is purportedly developing) the X100 could serve as a good walk around camera for Bresson-like reportage that's far less expensive than an M9 with a 35mm Summicron.

And as long as you're not typically making 20 x 30 prints of every shot you take but maybe the occasional 13 x 19 you should be able to make decent sized prints of very high quality that would look well even in a gallery.

My concern is the rather smallish VF magnification with it's projected frame lines (despite the brilliant hybridization concept) that might diminish the picture taking experience somewhat to what one might see in a glorified Canon G11/G12 were it to employ the same hybrid technology. (Although at .50x magnification showing the X100's 23mm (35mm equiv.) frame lines it might be the same as an M9's .68x/.72x VF magnification experience displaying its 50mm frame lines.)

clay stewart

The rumor site says that Fuji is getting help from Oly and or Panasonic on this, since Fuji was part of the original 4/3 consortium. If this is the case, then perhaps there is a similar model in progress from Panasonic or Oly.

That would be interesting, as I think I would prefer the ability to change lenses, although, in a pinch, I could make do with a 35 mm I suppose.

I do like the way Fuji minimized the protrusion on the back of the viewfinder, (still not as flush as a Leica rangefinder) as that's one of the things I dislike with Panasonic's current EVF. I always worry about tearing it off, while wearing it on a camera strap.

m3photo

Re: Horses for Courses

I do like the way Fuji minimized the protrusion on the back of the viewfinder, (still not as flush as a Leica rangefinder) as that's one of the things I dislike with Panasonic's current EVF. I always worry about tearing it off, while wearing it on a camera strap.
On the other hand ...

"Some camera designers, wisely, move the eyepiece out away from the body a bit so that it can meet the eye more easily. "

Excerpt from: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/common_sense_part_1_photographers_have_noses.shtml

douglasf13

scho

LOL Jono, you're very right. But while 12.3 MP is SOOOO last decade it still isn't THAT bad.

With a custom (mild) AA filter and microlens array and a good processing engine (that Fuji is purportedly developing) the X100 could serve as a good walk around camera for Bresson-like reportage that's far less expensive than an M9 with a 35mm Summicron.

And as long as you're not typically making 20 x 30 prints of every shot you take but maybe the occasional 13 x 19 you should be able to make decent sized prints of very high quality that would look well even in a gallery.

My concern is the rather smallish VF magnification with it's projected frame lines (despite the brilliant hybridization concept) that might diminish the picture taking experience somewhat to what one might see in a glorified Canon G11/G12 were it to employ the same hybrid technology. (Although at .50x magnification showing the X100's 23mm (35mm equiv.) frame lines it might be the same as an M9's .68x/.72x VF magnification experience displaying its 50mm frame lines.)
They should have let Zeiss design the finder for them. Nothing better than the Zeiss Ikon RF finder.

Anders_HK

My problem with it is that it's a 12mp camera with an AA filter . . . . that is SO last decade :ROTFL:
Indeed!

If in fact it is a Nikon sensor i think disappointing considering that Fuji has claimed custom made (micro lenses do not qualify suchs tatement). Likewise disappointing considering Fuji's history of sensors from S2, S3, S5 and the high DR capabilites also of smaller cameras. If indeed they buy sensor from someone why not from Kodak or Dalsa or have it custom made from them? Likewise of the lens, why not a Zeiss, Scheider or Rodenstock?

Regards
Anders

hot

photos were removed :mad:

After request from Fujifilm Norway, we have agreed
to remove the sample pictures from the site.

Anders_HK

photos were removed :mad:

After request from Fujifilm Norway, we have agreed
to remove the sample pictures from the site.
2nd paragraph of http://www.akam.no/artikler/fujifilm_x100/80789/2 ;

"Vanligvis når det er preproduksjonsmodeller vi har på testbenken, er bildekvaliteten en av de tingene vi ikke kan se så nøye på, fordi slike modeller er langt fra kalibrert og optimalisert. I mange tilfeller er det også en betingelse for å få låne kameraet at vi ikke vurderer bildekvaliteten. Noen slike restriksjoner har ikke Fujifilm gitt oss, så bildekvaliteten må vi se nærmere på..."

Being Swedish and with very similar language to Norwegian, this translates to:

"Usually for preproduction models that we have on the test bench, the image quality is one of the things we cannot look at so carefully, because such models are far from calibrated and optimized. In many cases it is the situation that in order to get to borrow the camera that we do not examine the image quality. Fujifilm has not given us any such restrictions, so we will look closer at the image quality..."

---

In other words the removal of the images are complete load of pure B.S. :poke:

Anyone else really tired of this camera??? :deadhorse:

Dear Fuji, you shot yourself in the foot. I will stick to my Leaf Aptus and iPhone. Thank you. :watch:

Regards
Anders