The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fujifilm X-100 testimonies surfacing

emr

Don't you people find the fixed lens rather limiting? I mean I know many people find the 35mm eq a great focal length and like shooting with it, but not having the possibility to change it ever makes me wonder.

Another point, seeing the great IQ at ISO 6400 and the great results from today's good APS-C DSLRs make me think that common cameras are approaching or at the point where they all are good enough for nearly anything except printing big posters. I think it'll be now about the personal preference of handling, weight, accessories and lenses.

douglasf13

Don't you people find the fixed lens rather limiting? I mean I know many people find the 35mm eq a great focal length and like shooting with it, but not having the possibility to change it ever makes me wonder.

Another point, seeing the great IQ at ISO 6400 and the great results from today's good APS-C DSLRs make me think that common cameras are approaching or at the point where they all are good enough for nearly anything except printing big posters. I think it'll be now about the personal preference of handling, weight, accessories and lenses.
I think many of us might even prefer working within the limitations of a fixed focal length. It can change the way you photograph.

jonoslack

I think many of us might even prefer working within the limitations of a fixed focal length. It can change the way you photograph.
Quite agree . . . . but a bit of discipline can be just as good - put all your other lenses back in the cupboard and only take the 35 'lux with you.

T

tokengirl

Quite agree . . . . but a bit of discipline can be just as good - put all your other lenses back in the cupboard and only take the 35 'lux with you.
+2

Unfortunately for me, 35mm is a focal length that I just don't particularly enjoy. Otherwise I would already be on that waiting list too. 28mm is more my cup of tea, so I just ordered the GXR with the 28mm module. But I am a big Fuji fan, I love what they have done with this camera. If I ever warm up to that focal length, I will add this camera to my (ever growing) collection for sure.

jonoslack

+2

Unfortunately for me, 35mm is a focal length that I just don't particularly enjoy. Otherwise I would already be on that waiting list too. 28mm is more my cup of tea, so I just ordered the GXR with the 28mm module. But I am a big Fuji fan, I love what they have done with this camera. If I ever warm up to that focal length, I will add this camera to my (ever growing) collection for sure.
Hi There
saw your purchase on the GXR thread - congratulations - it's beginning to look really interesting. I hope the 28mm is a success.
Like you, I find the Fuji fascinating (irresistible)- actually I've grown to like 35mm too - but I'm not quite sure that I want to be painted into that corner.

Resistance will be hard to maintain though!

Terry

Hi There
saw your purchase on the GXR thread - congratulations - it's beginning to look really interesting. I hope the 28mm is a success.
Like you, I find the Fuji fascinating (irresistible)- actually I've grown to like 35mm too - but I'm not quite sure that I want to be painted into that corner.

Resistance will be hard to maintain though!
Honestly, I didn't think you were going to crumble this time! I should know better by now.

+2

Well I have a dilemma as well since 35 AND! 28 are my two favorite focal lengths. Shooting with the original GR1 film compact really sold me on that FOV.

I was looking at the GXR 28 combo too but decided to stick with GR1 and buy the X100 when it comes out.

But enough about me! I'm sure you are going to have a lot of fun with that GXR kit!

Godfrey

Agree too ... One focal length, one lens is often quite worthwhile.

For me, it's "leave the DSLR kit home and go out with just a small, light, fast camera". I've done a lot of very satisfying work that way in the past when all I carried was my Rollei 35S or other fixed lens camera.

Terry

In NY I only went out with M8 + 28 cron. So, this will be very similar. Now I just
need to get back into doing some street shooting in San Francisco.

woodyspedden

I entered my order with Monza, with deposit, months ago. So I am hopeful that I will be receiving my X100 very soon. I think that if it performs as we all seem to expect that it will be a breakthrough camera for its intended use. And at half the price of an X1 from Leica a bargain as well

Woody

douglasf13

+2

Me too, although I prefer 50mm. However, it might be fun for me to take a break from the norm and try 35mm out for a while. Jeez, at this point, I'm really making up excuses to buy this silly camera! :loco:

douglasf13

Ha! If I had an M9 and 35 lux asph, I'd probably just throw everything else I owned into the trash! :ROTFL:

J

jorgeAD

Hi Jorge
that picture would be wonderful whatever it was take with!
fabulous . . .
Indeed.. A good photographer makes great photos out of any subject. But my point was that we have already been served too many static shots out of a camera supposedly built for candid action shooting...

We know enough to guess this lens-sensor combo will be something special... but how about usability and responsiveness ? Does the X100 help catch the decisive moment or does it work against the photographer, as almost all compact digicams do..?

I think the Cambodia shot is saying something in that respect... (and yes, he is an incredibly talented photographer... I need more X100 shots like this before ordering, not mailboxes, fire hydrants or posing cats or models..)

barjohn

jorge, one can never have enough models. :) The action shots I have seen have been impressive like the ones coming down the slide at you. Those are challenging for any AF system.