The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X100 - Bugs, Anomalies, & Suggested Improvements

barjohn

After two weeks of use and a lot of mistakes and learning experiences, I thought I would share both my observations and suggestions for improvements made by X100Forum members and me. This should paint a realistic view of where Fuji is with firmware ver. 1.0. This is not to say that any of these make the camera unusable but rather some items need to be fixed and some are improvements that should be made for better usability. This list is not comprehensive and could be added to as more familiarity is gained.

X100 Bugs and Anomalies

1. Flash
a) No auto mode to select though shown in the manual on page 31.
b) Red eye reduction does not reduce/eliminate red-eye during shooting.

2. Auto Focus Confirmation - there are times, some intermittent, when the camera will focus but will neither provide audible or visual confirmation that focus has been achieved. For example, during a rapid full press of the shutter button. In low light I found this happening frequently yet the images were in focus.

3. The view finder histogram is not referenced in the user manual. Further, it does not change with changes to shutter speed or aperture. It is only influenced by the exposure compensation knob. It does not display on a ½ press when the lens is stopped down to shooting aperture. The peak on the over exposure side is less on the viewfinder histogram than on the playback histogram.

4. When the camera is in "P" Program mode, neither the command control or command dial effects a program shift as described in the user manual on page 23.

5. I Experienced a random occurrence of image review during shooting with image review turned off.

6. Image magnification in manual focus needs to be increased or selectable by the user with options.

7. Image magnification on play back is not adequate to check focus in all situations and needs to have higher power magnification available.

8. Changing the size of the focus rectangle does not change the size of the rectangle displayed in the OVF though it does in the EVF and you can adjust it while held up to your eye in EVF mode but not in OVF mode.

9. In manual focus, using the AEL/AFL button to auto focus gives a confirmation beep but does not change the color of the rectangle to green.

X100 Improvements & Suggestions

1. ND and Macro access

The novel ND filter and more standard Macro function are two features likely to be used often and thus demand better access. Currently the user must be viewing either the EVF or LCD to make changes to the settings. This throws a speed bump up in front of the user when they are in OVF mode. Since both settings have indicators on the OVF overlay, why not make them direct toggles? One push of the Macro button would automatically switch the view to EVF if you were originally in OVF. For ND the option would have to be programmed to the Fn button but the change would be instantaneous and the user would have confirmation from the "ND" icon that is currently available in the OVF.

Also, Macro setting needs permanence - currently lasts for one shot only.

2. Function Button

Per item number 2, the Fn button should be contextual. Options that have simple on/off states should perform as direct toggles, not as entries into a menu system.

3. RAW Button

Love the in-camera processing, hate that it takes up a button when it should be a menu option. Let us reprogram that button Fuji!

4. AF Frame size

The AF Frame can be resized in EVF or LCD mode but the setting does not lock and will revert back to the original size when switching between finders. There should be a menu option to select the default size for the AF Frame size or at least grant permanence to the current change function.

5. Image Review / Menu Settings vs the Buffer

This is a big one. Currently the user can do a few essential things in-between shots while the image is being cleared out of the buffer and onto the card but that cannot do others. Fuji needs to move all items to the "Can" column.

Can:
• User can shoot again!
• User can change mechanical controls such as aperture, shutter speed and exposure comp
• User can view the image if the auto image review feature is selected

Can't
• Change any controls that are accessed through the menu system or rear buttons.
• Switch between displays
• Use the play button to review an image
• Zoom in on an image that has been displayed in auto image review

6. Auto ISO

I have two issues with Auto-ISO. First, you are limited to a ceiling of 3200. I would like the option of selecting a higher setting. Second, when in Auto ISO, the camera displays your maximum ISO selection in the finder. So if you selected 3200, you will see "ISO Auto 3200" in the display. Once you meter your subject the display updates to reflect the auto-selected ISO speed. This methodology is slightly distracting and I would prefer to just see "Auto ISO" in the VF until the scene is metered.

Also see issue related to DR expansion below.

7. DR Expansion

This is undocumented in the X100 manual but the DR settings (100-400%) have a direct correlation on ISO. When set to DR 400% ISO is limited to 800 minimum. When set to DR 200% ISO is limited to 400 minimum. If your ISO is set below 400 the expanded DR options will not be available. And if the camera is in Auto-ISO you will find yourself shooting at 800 ISO in the sun. I guess this is not a Firmware issue as much as it is a documentation issue.

8. Hyperfocal focus setting for MF operation

I'd like to set the aperture and have the lens move to the hyperfocal for it, and stay put. Instant shutter release. That would be perfect.

9. Add auto ISo to the FN ISO list

When you press the Fn button (assuming it's still assigned to ISO) it only gives you the list 200-6400 (or 100-12,800 if you have expansion on). I'd suggest making it loop around, and add the auto-ISO as the first item in the list.

10. Improve AF speed as better is possible

11. Improve SD card write speed. Much more should be possible.

tom in mpls

John, your honesty in listing the problems/annoyances you have found is appreciated. I think many of us try to convince ourselves that the bad bits aren't so bad. One might think from this list that you don't like the camera. Taking into account the good and bad, are you pleased with this camera, and do you enjoy using it? It looks that most everyone has been quite pleased with the results, but the user experience can change everything. Any regrets?

monza

John were you able to confirm the Provia/Astia bug? I.e., select Provia, and the camera shoots with Astia settings, and vice versa? This was first found when doing in camera RAW conversions, but may also exist with the Provia/Velvia/Astia selection.

barjohn

Tom,

I am still sold on this camera for two big reasons. 1. the viewfinder is fantastic and 2. the image quality is the best I have seen (disclaimer, I haven't tried an M9 or DSLR beyond the D90). At high ISO it really is impressive and at 1600 or below is incredibly clean. I can't wait for a good RAW processor to become available.

Monza, I have tested in JPG and it does appear that they are reversed but the differences are not huge so it is hard to be sure. I think I will take some shots and print and see if the differences are really noticable.

Let me add a few more comments on IQ.

As many of you know, I am a gadget freak and have owned a slew of cameras so I have a pretty good collection of images with which to make comparisons, perhaps not scientific ones, but rather visual impression ones. There is something about the images that is just better. They have a sharpness and level of detail and micro contrast that is hard to describe but when I compare images it is clearly visible to me. The images I uploaded and have made publicly available of a wedding and rehersal dinner I attended this weekend are examples of how good this camera is considering how bad I screwed up in failing to understand the workings of the exposure indications. For those that haven't seen my posts on the X100forum.com, I will include links here. The big mistake I made was in using the histogram to try and determine and control exposure instead of the bar on the left side. The images are full size JPGs and contain the EXIF data. Most of the errors you see are all my fault for not yet knowing how to use this camera in this challenging environment.

http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/11410751/1/A%20%26%20A%20Wedding%20%26%20Reception?h=4957c6

http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/11410751/1/A%20%26%20A%20Reception%20Dinner?h=36f30d

barjohn

By the way, I am at work and cannot test my links from here so hopefully they are working. If not I will fix them when I get home later today.

barjohn

Monza,

I tested the Provia, Astia bug and yes, the two seemed to be reversed. However, since I am unfamiliar with the characteristics of these films, it could be that the descriptions are wrong. Instead of Provia/Standard, Astia/Soft maybe the correct labeling would be Provia/Soft and Astia/Standard. Provia might still be the default value.

m3photo

Re: Fujifilm

After two weeks of use and a lot of mistakes and learning experiences, I thought I would share both my observations and suggestions for improvements made by X100Forum members and me.
Much appreciated John. The thing is, has this very same list been sent to the manufacturer?

D

drxcm

I agree with every improvement you mention. Particularly the UI ones rather than improving 'speed' of the camera, which I can accept.

I also think they should make the background for the ISO selection window transparent, so it doesn't take up your so much of the frame when changing ISO.

Has this list been sent to Fuji? Is there a Fuji forum where this is being discussed? They need to 'fix' all of these things to make this camera flourish!

S

Millsart

Not a lot to add, but I did learn that the auto flash mode is only selectable when in P mode. I was going over the manual the other night and wondered why I only had 3 options as well. Finally figured it out.

Messed with the commander dial for program shift as well and couldn't get that one to work either, frustrating when you read it and yet camera doens't work like it says.

When Im actually shooting though, camera still feels about perfect save for a few minor things. General shooting experience for me hasn't been soured by any bugs etc