The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X100 in Leicaland Berlin a few pics

retow

Just arrived in Berlin a few hours ago and walked around the block with my new X100.

Last edited:

Terry

Congrats on the new camera. Mine arrived yesterday but I can't get out shooting right now. Arrrgh. I will live through your pictures for a short while.

retow

Congrats on the new camera. Mine arrived yesterday but I can't get out shooting right now. Arrrgh. I will live through your pictures for a short while.
I'm sure you will enjoy it. Despite some quirks and warts, the X100 is a lot of fun and the IQ is quite impressive:D

Armanius

Ok, please keep the discussions about the X100 to a minimum. I don't want to suffer a flare up of LBA, CBA or GAS. :)

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I am eager to handle one of these!
Terry, will you be done with yours by Friday? :ROTFL:
-bob

jonoslack

Ok, please keep the discussions about the X100 to a minimum. I don't want to suffer a flare up of LBA, CBA or GAS. :)
LOL - well, I had another opportunity to buy one today - it's certainly very sexy and nice - really a lovely thing, but twenty minutes with it re-convinced me that it's just too fiddly, and it's not enough smaller than an M9 with a 35 summarit to take the compromises (after all, manual focus at 35 mm is not an issue, right?).

For us boys, size IS an issue, and it's a case of whether it fits in a pocket (doesn't) or not - Terry points out that girls have purses (handbags) which are perfectly designed to store an X100.

Actually, come to think of it, I also always carry around a small Fogg b-laika (for data backups on external USB drives / ipad etc.). However, my bag is perfectly designed to store an M9 with a 35 'lux . . AND a K5 with an 18-135 - of course, I could take one of these out and put in an X100 . . but why would I do that?

So, I am once again saved. I'm beginning to think that the escape could be permanent!

. . . . it is lovely though. :bugeyes:

Terry

Yes Jono,
There is a lot to learn on the camera and that is where I give some kudos to the M8/M9.
A lot of the learning is due to the fact that you can AF with OVF or EVF or use manual focus but with focus by wire. All of that complexity goes away on the rangefinder.
Other camera functions are pretty straight forward.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I played with on in Austria a few weeks ago at a photography fair and it felt pretty nice to me. Especially the combination of EVF and OVF was what I liked. And I would like to see that in an M10 - hopefully.

Sure it is no camera to put i your pockets and it is small and big at the same time. But finally I think I am also safe as I do still have my EP2 and this one in combination with 2.8/17 is almost the same angle of view, but much smaller. So I will not buy one, as it would be just another toy for me.

But if I did not have an alternative already I might be very tempted ;)

jonoslack

Yes Jono,
There is a lot to learn on the camera and that is where I give some kudos to the M8/M9.
A lot of the learning is due to the fact that you can AF with OVF or EVF or use manual focus but with focus by wire. All of that complexity goes away on the rangefinder.
Other camera functions are pretty straight forward.
HI There Terry
it wasn't that it was difficult or obscure, simply that there was so much of it. I suppose what I mean is that there seem to be a lot of decisions to make before you come to take a picture, and then if the next picture you wanted to take you would like it different . . . then there are settings to change blah blah.

I'm trying to disentangle the desire for a beautiful object from the actual photographic useability (i.e. whether it gets between me and the picture - and I thought it would).

retow

A few more from Berlin. I found the "Grill Walkers" with gas containers on their backs quite interesting,

Last edited:

scho

A few more from Berlin. I found the "Grill Walkers" with gas containers on their backs quite interesting,
Retow,

Thanks for posting the nice X100 images from Berlin. It has been 5 years since my last visit to Berlin and the city is changing so quickly it always has some new views to offer.

dhsimmonds

I have to say that I have joined the very tempted league! In fact if I could get one without paying over the top on e-Bay, then I would probably have one by now.

The last dealer I contacted indicated that it would be another month before a new shipment came in. Meanwhile some dealers are making offers for keeping potential buyers interested enough to pre-order, like Platinum service or ever ready leather case thrown in for the standard price etc.

It looks as if the price will settle down to about £899 when readily available in the UK. If you want it now expect to pay up to £1350 on e-Bay!:poke: