The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X100 vs D700, M8, Ep1, E5 pics

nugat

Only one scene in full sun (got the X100 couple of hours ago). All cameras at standard jpeg presets (however X100 is at "Astia" because as Barjohn noticed Astia is actually Provia which is standard--a mixup bug in the menu, when you select Provia it is soft-really Astia). Apertures f4, f5.6 anf f8 depending on format. Focus on the first yellow flowers in the pot. All Exifs embeded.
Until LR3 serves Fuji .raf I do not undertake any comparisons here.

I added full size original here: just click "original" in the picture title

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1020&message=38300445&refresh=944

Last edited:

Terry

Try and shoot some neutral without Provia - I find the neutral colors very pleasing as well.

woodyspedden

Brad

I would agree with your statement but you are comparing apples and oranges!

It would be better to compare the X1 with the X100 if you want to compare Leica and Fuji.

JMHO

Woody

nugat

Try and shoot some neutral without Provia - I find the neutral colors very pleasing as well.
How do you actually do that? I have the impression that "standard" is actually second-named "Provia" (which we know is buggy and actually reversed with "soft-ASTIA", so to get "standard" I use ASTIA).
Sorry, didn't fully read the manual yet....

Terry

How do you actually do that? I have the impression that "standard" is actually second-named "Provia" (which we know is buggy and actually reversed with "soft-ASTIA", so to get "standard" I use ASTIA).
Sorry, didn't fully read the manual yet....
OK my bad was thinking Velvia. I have a working RAW converter so ignore me. I just left all the jpeg settings as standard and I liked the colors. The colors on yours seem a bit more saturated than what I was seeing which makes sense if you think I was using Astia. Not sure if the provia Astia setting is reversed for in camera jpeg or when you convert a RAW to jpeg in camera manually. Would be good to get clarification.

nugat

OK my bad was thinking Velvia. I have a working RAW converter so ignore me. I just left all the jpeg settings as standard and I liked the colors. The colors on yours seem a bit more saturated than what I was seeing which makes sense if you think I was using Astia. Not sure if the provia Astia setting is reversed for in camera jpeg or when you convert a RAW to jpeg in camera manually. Would be good to get clarification.
For sure the positions ASTIA (soft) and PROVIA (std) are buggy and in fact reversed.
When you currently select PROVIA jpg it is soft, just as ASTIA should be. When you select ASTIA it is more saturated just as PROVIA should be, but not as much as VELVIA, which seems correct now.

nugat

I prefer the edge to edge consistency of the M8 file.

ooops...the pic I orignally selected for M8 was too close a framing, so a higher detail resolution might have resulted (I noticed on the licence plate in the right top corner). As much as I like Leica, the Summilux was not that much better than Zuiko SHG in all my previous tests. Now it's ok and back to normal. Slight advantage Leica in the corner.

Paratom

I think its hard to judge color based on presets.
In my experience the Nikon WB set to sunny draws much different than for example the M8/M9 (which supplys colder color when set to sunny than the Nikon).
I would recommend to use custom WB if you want to compare colors.

Just from how they look in your comparison I like the E5 image best, even if it may come out a little warm.
Fuji looks somewhat artificial to me, The Nikon and M8 to cold (more a wb thing which could be fixed) and the EP1 also looks a little artificial to me.

nugat

In my experience the Nikon WB set to sunny draws much different than for example the M8/M9 (which supplys colder color when set to sunny than the Nikon).

Just from how they look in your comparison I like the E5 image best, even if it may come out a little warm.
Fuji looks somewhat artificial to me, The Nikon and M8 to cold (more a wb thing which could be fixed) and the EP1 also looks a little artificial to me.
Actually I would not judge colors from jpegs either. But can't compare raws yet (all in LR3 anyway). This little game is more about everything else than color rendition. But believe me, what you see (especially when you download full jpegs from dpreview) is very close to what I am seeing. From coldest to warmest they are:
Nikon, M8, Fuji, E5, EP1.
But this is more about the camera jpeg engine and auto WB than anything else. Later today I'll try to process raws, Fuji in attached Silkypix, and will post results.

ptomsu

Workshop Member

This is exactly the reason why I switched from Nikon to Olympus E5 :)

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Actually I would not judge colors from jpegs either. But can't compare raws yet (all in LR3 anyway). This little game is more about everything else than color rendition. But believe me, what you see (especially when you download full jpegs from dpreview) is very close to what I am seeing. From coldest to warmest they are:
Nikon, M8, Fuji, E5, EP1.
But this is more about the camera jpeg engine and auto WB than anything else. Later today I'll try to process raws, Fuji in attached Silkypix, and will post results.
After all the X100 results are not too bad :cool:

nugat

Finally processed raws. X100 in the horrible Finepix Viewer Raw Converter, the rest in LR3. In fact the Fuji soft is so bad that OOC jpegs offer slightly better resolution--or I could not get it to work properly. I set WB, tweaked exposition. All other standard.
Based on this one scene/setup (full sun behind, landscape, f4-f8 based on format, base ISO), my ranking is:
1) E5
2)M8, D700
3) EP1, X100

You can find the pics here:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1020&message=38304681

Full 7-8MB jpegs can be downloaded by clicking "original" in the pics titles.
Strongly recommended for any meaningful comparisons.

nugat

LR 3.4 reads X100 raf

Yesterday LR3.4 was released that opens X100 rafs.
Comparing to Finepix it's day and night.
Detail is at OOC jpeg level, color is better.

nugat

Now all compared raw in LR 3.4

As a matter of record. At the linked dpreview address they are in full glory 11-15MB "originals" tweaked each under a minute to look best.