The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X100 images thread...let's get this party started....

OlliL

Hey Joe, nice shot.
Can you provide a 100% Crop of the girl on the left, in the front row?
From the picture it already looms pretty impressive.

fotografz

Ok, last of my photos to get this Fuji X100 party started.
OOC jpegs converted to B&W.
f/2 iso 3200.

Sorry, for being the turd in the punchbowl at your party :eek: ... but most of the pics in this thread look like a small sensor camera to me ... to much lacking in some way or another ... or overworked to compensate.

BUT, I have to admit this one (and a few other B&Ws) looks pretty decent ... given the ISO and wide open aperture. Just takes time to figure it all out I guess.

-Marc

TRUTH or :SPAM:?

jonoslack

Sorry, for being the turd in the punchbowl at your party :eek: ... but most of the pics in this thread look like a small sensor camera to me ... to much lacking in some way or another ... or overworked to compensate.

BUT, I have to admit this one (and a few other B&Ws) looks pretty decent ... given the ISO and wide open aperture. Just takes time to figure it all out I guess.

-Marc

TRUTH or :SPAM:?
HI Marc
I hope you're well.
What a delightful expression! (must remember it).

I think the in camera jpg is a dangerous lure - at first it seems like a very attractive proposition - as time goes on one realises that it's a cheap thrill, and perhaps contributes to your impression of it being like a compact.

As you say, it takes a while to figure it out - and this camera might be renamed the Donald Rumsfeld camera - there are so many known unknowns.
Shooting RAW makes things easier.

Tim Ashley said that he felt it was like an M8 with a respectable lens - and I think that sums it up nicely. It's a bit more versatile, in that the high ISO is better and the close up shots are decent as well (once you figure out how to use it, and how to stop swearing when the macro mode switches itself off).

But the IQ is really not like a compact - very sharp, right to the corners, no smudgy detail, and if you keep the aperture wide it has nice bokeh (one of the traps is that, because of the leaf shutter I guess, the camera will often give you a very small aperture in bright light). The ND filter is a really useful and important addition (unlike the film types and HDR features).

all the best

jonoslack

The ND filter really came into it's own here. Shooting at f2 in this light with a max shutter speed of 1/1000!

Anyway, I think it works (still look like a compact Marc?)

ashwinrao1

The ND filter really came into it's own here. Shooting at f2 in this light with a max shutter speed of 1/1000!

Jono, this is spectacular....Marc, not sure why you feel that most shots here lack that DOF and look like point and shoots. I see many here of the opposite constitution, but maybe that's just me:eek:

fotografz

I didn't mean like a P&S ... also didn't mean to get anyone's dander up. ;)

I guess I don't like the look ... so far. This one looks soft everywhere, nothing pops ... like a diffusing filter was on it.

I better shut up now ... :ROTFL:

-Marc

jonoslack

I didn't mean like a P&S ... also didn't mean to get anyone's dander up. ;)

I guess I don't like the look ... so far. This one looks soft everywhere, nothing pops ... like a diffusing filter was on it.

I better shut up now ... :ROTFL:

-Marc
No dander around here - I'm deeply ambivalent (if that's the right word). Only thing I'm sure of is that my dander is definitely down :ROTFL:

Opinions always gratefully received (well Marc, yours are at least :))

all the best

barjohn

Since photographs are a personal taste thing, it helps to have a reference point as to what you like so that one can interpret your critique in light of your personal preferences. In looking at your photographs, you appear to prefer the grainy look with high contrast B&W. Even your color shots appear to have strong contrast. Personally, I don't like the grainy look as it appears to be a contrived look to match some older master photographer's look. I believe, they obtained that look because it was the best their equipment and film was capable of producing and that had they had modern equipment the look would have been different but that is just my guess. Of course, high contrast and more vivid colors along with shallow DOF tend to give images more "pop" on a screen as we used to see in Kodachrome projected form a slide projector. Also, if you are using an M8 or M9 with its poor high ISO performance you are somewhat forced to go for the grainy B&W look as the color noise is horribly blotchy. I suspect the image you cited was soft for two reasons, some veiling flare and slightly our of focus but maybe that is the look he wanted.

jsnack

Great stuff, everyone. I just received my X100 and will try to post something soon.

One question...are you folks using the auto dynamic range or setting it for each shot?

Rich M

Great stuff, everyone. I just received my X100 and will try to post something soon.

One question...are you folks using the auto dynamic range or setting it for each shot?
I put mine on AUTO for both dynamic range and for ISO.

Seems to work OK.

R