The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X100 images thread...let's get this party started....

jonoslack

Rich, this is FANTASTIC!
+2 wonderful Rich . . .

Thanks everyone.
Took the camera to the beach with a model friend of mine.
Unfortunately, it was rainy and overcast so couldn't do as much as I would have liked.
Here's a shot:
Lovely Joe - is it the same model from the pool? (looks like it).

I'm embarrassed to post after you Joe ;)

Was at the local car shop a few minutes ago.
They're finishing their latest restoration project.

This is the real deal and no replica.
Estimated worth is around 100k
I want the model and the car! and the sausages

mind you, that's cheaper than a new 911!

Basically, nice trees and a blue sky is one thing, but a pretty girl and a fast car, a seascape and something to eat is something else! (I hate all of you)

Lovely Joe - is it the same model from the pool? (looks like it).

Basically, nice trees and a blue sky is one thing, but a pretty girl and a fast car, a seascape and something to eat is something else! (I hate all of you)
Yes, the same model- Kelsey.
Don't hate us just because of our beautiful model, car and food.
Love us because of our x100.

jonoslack

Yes, the same model- Kelsey.
Don't hate us just because of our beautiful model, car and food.
Love us because of our x100.
:)

Well, my tongue was fairly well lodged in my cheek. I certainly don't hate anyone for anything.
I'll love you for your nice images (and the fact that you know Kelsey), I can miss out on the sausages, my car is okay (even if it isn't as pretty as the Porsche), and Emma is another consolation.

Rich M

I'll love you for your nice images (and the fact that you know Kelsey), I can miss out on the sausages, my car is okay (even if it isn't as pretty as the Porsche),

.......and Emma is another consolation.
As you type with Emma looking over your shoulder.:ROTFL: :ROTFL: :ROTFL:

R

:)

Well, my tongue was fairly well lodged in my cheek. I certainly don't hate anyone for anything.
I'll love you for your nice images (and the fact that you know Kelsey), I can miss out on the sausages, my car is okay (even if it isn't as pretty as the Porsche), and Emma is another consolation.
Jono, of course I knew this was tongue in cheek.
Who is Emma?

So I asked a model friend to go out for a fun photo shoot to test the camera.
Here are a few photos from yesterday, some of which have already been posted.
Some natural light, some flash (sb-800).
We spent about an hour and a half shooting as we walked along the beach.
Post processing varied from very little to more time than I would like.
Thanks to lovely Kelsey for the shoot.
Hope you like them.

Last edited:

Millsart

Looks like your using the SB800 off camera. What are you triggering it with and whats the max sync speed you find your able to get if using a radio trigger ?

I haven't had a camera that can sync faster than 1/250th in so long I've totally forget what my SB's flash durations even are. I think I full power dump is still faster than 1/1000th hopefully. Theres a point of diminishng return where sync speed exceeds the flash duration, just don't remember where it is.

Awesome being able to get that type of light on a bright day without needing some big pack and head systems

Thanks everyone.
A great looking model always makes the photographer look better.

Regarding high speed sync speed I suppose I should do some serious testing, but that isn't my style.
What I have learned is the following:

I can connect an sb-800 or sb-900 to the x100 using a Nikon sc-17 or sc-29 cord.
Sync speeds up to 1/4000 sec.
I repeat 1/4000 sec.
The external flash photos in this shoot were at 1/1000 sec at 1/4 to full power depending on iso and aperture.
On a couple of occasions I used the built in flash for fill at 1/1000 sec -2/3 compensation.
I really wish flash compensation would go down 2 full stops.
Just purchased another inexpensive sc-17 cord so I can flash off camera a bit further.
Yes, there is a point of diminishing returns, but this is unchartered light territory for me.

I have also played with my Profoto D1 Airs and depending on aperture I can sync up to 1/2000 sec, but at a significant light drop off. Still quite usable however.

An amazing little camera.