The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X100 images thread...let's get this party started....

Sapphie

Hi all, this is my first post after "lurking" for some time... there's some very nice work on here, and it seems a friendly and helpful place.

I have had the x100 for several months, and have found it totally absorbing (and occasionally irritating). Overall, it's really enjoyable to use, and the results are superb - at least, they are on the rare occasions when I get MY part of the job done properly! I’ve found that, in use, the x100 requires a little acclimatisation in order to get the best out of it, but it’s worth the effort. I’ve also found that an unfortunate side-effect of having the x100 is that my 5D is gathering dust, along with assorted lenses. Perhaps I should sell them.

Anyway, I’m now looking forward to enjoying more of the excellent contributions on this forum…

P.S. @Lee. Was your shot of the boats taken at Budleigh Salterton?
Hi!

Indeed it was at Budleigh and the others were at Sidmouth, including one at the Donkey Sanctuary! Looks like you aren't very far from me (I am up in Tiverton). Wednesday was a day off and the 'weather men' said it would be the best day of the week - pah! However the light was really nice for a while at Budleigh. I agree with your other comments. I am loving mine and it needs regular use to get the best out of it (e.g. to remember any of those lovely 'quirks'). Like you, my other main camera (Pentax K5) seems to sitting in the bag and not seeing much action. I may get it out this weekend (weather permitting) as I have just sent my X100 to Fuji to be looked at as I get random, albeit intermittent, overexposures. I thought it was 'just me' for ages but if I look I can see the aperture blades sometimes not stopping down when I press the shutter button.

Let's see some pics! It is indeed a very friendly place and my favourite forum.

Lee

tbhv55

@Lee. Yes, we're near Newton Abbot, and I recognised Budleigh in your photo, not from the scenery - there isn't much - but because I recognised the boat named "Take it easy" as it just happened to appear in one of my shots some time ago.

Re- the sticking aperture, I had the same trouble with my x100, and it went back to Fuji... they were very good, and very quick. Apparently, a batch of early ones had the fault. They replaced the entire lens assembly.
I too went through a short "Is it me?" phase until I realised that the problem was definitely with the camera. Then I went through a short "Will it correct itself?" phase, before bowing to the inevitable.

If Fuji are as organised with yours as they were with mine, you'll have yours back very soon - good luck,
Tim.

Sapphie

Thanks Rich.

An update from me; my X100 was definitely overexposing but it was intermittent. I have a feeling it may have been like it for some time and I initially attributed it to user error.

Anyway, after reporting it via the x100 email address, Fuji sent me a box and pre-paid Special Delivery envelope. I posted it off about midday last Friday. I sent Fuji an email mid week for progress and they said that the lens needed replacing and they hoped to get it back to me by the end of the week. Well, it turned up today, exactly 7 days turnaround! The note says they replaced the lens and there was a card with a checklist to show that they checked every part of the camera. They also said they 'adjusted' the aperture and shutter speed - maybe that's standard when fitting a new lens.

So, well done Fuji - fantastic service. Of course I haven't had time to test it yet but am looking forward to taking some more pictures at the weekend.

I should have sent it in earlier - the process was totally painless and hassle-free!

I used my Pentax K5 last weekend for the first time in ages and I really missed my Fuji! The K5 is good but it felt really heavy (in comparison), I missed the Fuji viewfinder in being able to see outside the frame and I certainly didn't feel as discrete carrying it about!

Lee

tbhv55

Lee,
Good to hear that you received impressive service from Fuji, too... mine was similar (six day turn-around, I think). Of course, it's a shame that the problem occurred in the first place, but full marks to Fuji for their response.
Tim.

Sapphie

My excuse for another cat photo is that I have just had my camera returned with a new lens - so it is like a new toy all over again!

Lee

Sapphie

I should be out playing with my X100 but it's raining :-( so I decided to trial the new Topaz Labs B&W plugin:

An infra-red conversion.

Lee

tbhv55

Some x100 shots to get me underway (provided that I haven't made any basic 'newbie' mistakes in uploading!)...