The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X100 images thread...let's get this party started....

Sapphie

I have the NEX 5N and thinking about moving over here. The quality of the images and the simplicity of carrying just one body/lens is appealing. The NEX system keeps wanting to grow and if I want a big system I'll just take my 5D2.

Jim
Hi Jim,

Ha ha, good to see you here! I don't have a NEX but my Pentax K5 has hardly left the camera bag since I bought the X100. Nothing wrong with the K5 but in the X100 I have an excellent, quiet camera that is light, elegant and fun to use. No shutter blur, no BF/FF issues. And I do not need to worry about 'which lens to use' - that is very liberating.

Reminds me a little of when I used my Mamiya 7 ...

Lee

P.S. My M4/3 has been lonely as well ...

JMaher

Lee,
I sold my K5. It was truly a great camera but too close in size to my 5D2. The NEX is great but I having trouble bonding with it.

On the other hand it seems while almost no one here seems to love it I can't find a new X100 to buy. It's a strange world.

Jim

Haven't posted in awhile, but here are a few street shots from my recent trip to New York.
A very enjoyable camera.
Just wish I had more time to use it.

W

Wozza604

I see rendering from a sharp lens, look at the Biogon SN, but also some camera shake.
Really, you see camera shake from a 35mm (equivalent) lens that is resting on a table and tilted up, with a shutter speed of 1/500 of a second?

The lens on the x100 is much softer at f/2 than that biogon in that photo. What you're seeing is the illusion of sharpness from added contrast in post and a reduction in image size.

Brian Mosley

Sorry to hear you're unhappy with the sharpness you're getting wide open Wozza... glad to see your PP skills are making up for it :)

I've had a bit of a dry spell with photography for a while - but certainly keep coming back here for inspiration, so thanks for posting folks!

Cheers

Brian

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I've been shooting with the X100 for a while as my normal small lightweight travel camera. It replaces my M9 outfit that unfortunately I had to sacrifice to afford my MF digital gear. However, I LOVE this camera and the quality of the 35mm equivalent lens.

I'm in China at the moment and shot these using the X100.

Twilight at the Forbidden City:

The Great Wall at Mutianyu:

By 9am the tourists started to arrive via the cable lifts - no such luck for me at 6:30am! I did however have the wall to myself for a couple of hours. That's a heck of a hike up from the village below (and back down). However, one slip here and you get down a LOT quicker! :eek:

Obligatory "I was there" shot along with my X100. I had a G3 & 12/2 / 45/1.8 with me too but almost without exception I preferred the X100 shots from the morning. Btw, it's freaking COLD up there at 7am in November!

MoJo

Registred Users
here's a couple from my new x100... this is a really sweet camera, especially once I learn how to use the darn thing......

[/IMG]

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Graham

Wonderful shots, thanks for showing them to us. Do you shoot RAW or JPG with the X100?

Lee
In general I only shoot RAW with the X100 although I must admit that it does a great job in jpg mode too. For example, even using the standard colour modes it can produce some outstanding colour if the conditions are right.

I shot the following pre-dawn at Death Valley and are out of camera jpgs with just levels set for white/black points. They were just supposed to be record shots for use on the MFDB forum where we sometimes post the setup and then final images from a technical camera (Alpa). However I was somewhat shocked at how great the jps were with no post processing other than setting the exposure range in C1 Pro:

Sapphie

I just seem to have discovered the joys of using Aperture (rather than my usual LR) - seems so much easier to edit, zoom, full screen etc on a laptop!

This one was with Auto Enhance:

Lee

JMaher

Graham
Really nice work.

Lee - beautiful color.

My X100 has just arrived so I hope to have some examples in a few days.

Jim

OlliL

Missed a few pages lately and just went through them.
Not gonna comment on anything particular, but great stuff all around guys!

Winter hasn't arrived, but the days are very short now.
Trying to use that. :)

Light path von oliverleschke auf Flickr

W

Wozza604

Here's a shot of the Century City Towers in L.A. I took this after viewing the "Beauty Culture" exhibit at the Annenberg Space For Photography, which I highly recommend if you're in the area.