The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X100 & Hand Straps

barjohn

The following I posted elsewhere but I think it reflects on the dilema we all face as to how best to carry a camera around, have it available when desired but not have it be so obtrusive we never want to carry it or use it.

[quote name='Jeff Charles' timestamp='1305006411' post='9669']
This hand strap looks interesting: Camdapter Camstrap. I like to hand carry my cameras, and a strap like this should make it possible to hold the camera without having to grip it tightly. There are some very good hand straps (i.e., that wrap around the hand, not wrist straps) for DSLRs, but they are too big for smaller cameras. The Camstrap is designed for point-and-shoot cameras and should be good for the X100. I have not found any reviews or user feedback yet, however.

Jeff
[/quote]

I purchased one of these and thought I would share my experience with you all.

I had one SLR hand strap and I had ordered another I saw on Amazon before I ordered this one. Here is what I learned:

Regular hand straps did not work very well becasue they are designed for a DSLR where the shutter button is out on the end of the hand grip and the hand grip protrudes substantially further than the X100 grip. Therefore, the hand strap that is usually attached to a bracket on the camera base attached to the tripod thread on one end and the camera lug on the other, uses the camera body/handgrip as one side of the sandwich created by the leather strap to hold the hand in place and to allow the camera to be carried hanging down and loosly held by curled finger tips and the sandwiching of the hand between the strap and the body. The problem with using such a strap on the X100 is that when the hand is held in close enough to be safely secured by the pressure between the body and the strap, one cannot then press the shutter with the index finger and it is just generally uncomfortable. If the strap is lose enough to allow the shutter to be activated then it is not secure enough to leave hanging down in hand when not being used as it will slip right past the fingers to the floor. I tried two dirrent straps, one wide and one narrow and the results were the same. Unfortunately, the simple solution Liecagoodies offered that worked will on the M8 which was basically a figure 8 ribbon in which one placed ones fingers, won't work on the X100 due to the high lug placement.

Fortunately I ordered the Camadpter Camstrap above. What is does is recognize that in smaller non-dslrs, the hand strap could not use the camera body as part of the strap enclosure but instead needed its own separate enclosure. However, it is still a two point connection. Further, the base connector is small enough that it doesn't interfere with the battery/SD card access door. This is important as it requires an allen wrench to remove it and it would be a monumental pain to have to remove it everytime you wanted to change the battery or SD card. The hand strap is adjustable on the part in which the hand is fed through and can be made very snug or lose as desired. More importantly, because of the design's flexibility at the anchor points it is still easy to reach the shutter or carry is securely with just the fingertips extending beyond the curl of the grip when not shooting. (Think of the hand grip on the Leica Titanium M9, it is closer to that.)

This handstrap has significant advantages over any wrist strap. The first is that it is secured at two attachment points, not just one lug. This places less strain on the lug and additional security in the event of a lug failure tha the camera won't suffer serious damage. The second is that with two attachment points instead of one, when the camera is just being carried hanging it will not twirl or swing thus more easily avoiding hitting another object. Anyone that has carried their camera on a wrist strap knows that you don't do it long because it will start winging as you move rapidly and you quickly find the need to hold onto it to prevent damage. With the camstrap this isn't a problem. One additional plus is the ability to attach a regular camera strap as well using two attachment points. The attachment base will accept a strap in a separate slot and the other caeram lug can be used creating a portrait orientation for the camera as it hangs from its strap. The hand strap is small enough and unobtrusive enough that it would qucily go unnoticed and one then has the flexibility to carry the camera with hand strap or shoulder strap and ease the load depending on the circumstances.

The quality, user guides and instructions were easy to follow and its quality was very god to excellent.

I hope this helps some of you in looking for the ideal/best solution based on your needs. In my case I wanted to be able to carry it over the shoulder or in the hand with minimum fuss or anxiety. So far thsi one seems to do it.

I'm sure we will get many other opinions here and I welcome other points of view. What do you think?

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
John,
I use a Luigi's black thin neck strap.
It's very supple and wraps around the wrist easily.
This is the only camera I prefer a neck/shoulder strap on. Dunno, comes from my M daze.
The Luigi's is expensive but worth every penny.
As you stated, this also gives 2 contact points for the strap to the camera.

A wrist strap is nice but in warm weather, you need large pockets to carry the camera.
This way, it's over the shoulder... Makes sense to me but I'm easily amused.
Don

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I went with a Khaki A&A silk neck strap . Its pretty short and is soft and flexible enough to just wrap around your wrist . I want a true wrist strap but not quite ready give up the ability to put the strap around my neck ..when I need two hands .:eek:

OlliL

I ordered (my second) Voigtlander Deluxe strap, for the same reason.
It's the same as the ACAM-102 but half the price.
Very soft and good length.

barjohn

This one is made specifically for smaller non DSLR cameras. The DSLR type doesn't work well because the hand grip doesn't protrude far enough to allow for your finger to reach the shutter comfortably once you tighten it enough to be a secure carry. I had the DSLR version and it just didn't work. Note how you can access the battery compartment with the strap still attached.

jonoslack

HI John
there's an awful lot of lumpy hard bits just ready to scratch the LCD on that strap! I've learned my lesson with that kind of thing.

I'm using either a Luigi thin neck strap or wrist strap (can't decide which, and I keep breaking my nails swapping them around!).

all the best
Jono

barjohn

There are none on the hand-strap but there were on the neck strap. I changed it to do away with those. I am still debating the neck strap in conjunction with the hand strap. I'll photograph the changes and post shortly. I have the Giotto protecting the LCD so I wasn't worried about scratching the LCD but I didn't want to take a chance on the body getting scratched, hence the change.

barjohn

Here is the new simplified shoulder strap configuration.

Note that there is no metal to scratch the camera or LCD

The Shoulder Pad can be easily removed.

Note the Male & Female opposite fittings allowing the strap to be closed off without the shoulder pad

The hand strap is all soft leather or webbing.

Millsart

Cant say I'm a fan of the camera being covered in a bunch of nylon straps going every which way, sort of looks like "Gentle leader" harness for a dog on a walk lol

I've been very happy with a Gorby handstrap and an A&A soft cloth strap for when I know I'll be out "sightseeing" and want the camera around my neck and accessible for long periods.

The A&A is especially nice as its soft cloth and very light. No annoying plastic parts, extra lengths of strap poking the eye, etc

Godfrey

Cant say I'm a fan of the camera being covered in a bunch of nylon straps going every which way...
Me neither.

I found that Ricoh makes a very fine quality leather neckstrap as an option for the GXR. The camera is about the same size and weight as the Fuji X100, you'd need a pair of split triangles to use it, but it's one of the nicest neckstraps I've seen for a small camera in years. These cameras are small and light enough that a neckstrap works well, for me.

A pair of small QR snap-fasteners fitted into the strap ends would allow it to be removed from the camera quickly when using a tripod. I might add that modification.

DaveS

Here is a cheap and effective strap for lots of small size cameras that I use.

Talk about a shoe string budget, I actually use a shoe string! Running shoe or boot shoe strings. You need to test the length you need by checking it isn't too long to be loose on your wrist, and not too short that it pushes against the camera back when using it. (otherwise it clicks buttons just by holding it) The difference is about 1 inche between too short and too long.

Once you get it right, then tie a really tight knot and melt the ends with a match to slightly melt the plastic content in the strap to keep it from fraying. Some cameras need an attachment ring like the x100, others just loop it through the camera strap ring when it is bigger.

Running shoe or boot straps are thicker and feel better.

all the best,
Dave

J

jto555

Here is a cheap and effective strap for lots of small size cameras that I use.

Talk about a shoe string budget, I actually use a shoe string! Running shoe or boot shoe strings. You need to test the length you need by checking it isn't too long to be loose on your wrist, and not too short that it pushes against the camera back when using it. (otherwise it clicks buttons just by holding it) The difference is about 1 inche between too short and too long.

Once you get it right, then tie a really tight knot and melt the ends with a match to slightly melt the plastic content in the strap to keep it from fraying. Some cameras need an attachment ring like the x100, others just loop it through the camera strap ring when it is bigger.

Running shoe or boot straps are thicker and feel better.

all the best,
Dave
Dave, there is no need to put the boot in!
:ROTFL:

Actually your idea is a very good and cheap idea.

barjohn

I did away with the hand strap for two reasons. 1. It would not allow the camera to be placed upright on its base and 2. It eliminated the ability to use a tripod. I have now converted to using the Gariz 1/2 case. It allows access to the battery and SD card without removing the case, looks very good and with the strap and sling mechanism supports the ability to use the strap as either a conventional strap mounted to the normal mount points or connects together with the sling mount to operate as a sling strap connecting to either the conventional ears or the folding sling mount on the bottom of the case. I then stole the Leica Goodies Sling idea and made one out of thin leather to use as finger slings and that works very well. Photos to follow.

barjohn

Here are some photos of the new arrangement.

First, a clear view of the finger sling from different angles:

The bottom of the case with the sling attachment folded out. Also visible is the ease of changing battery or SD card:

With Sling Attachment Folded Down:

With Gariz Strap and Sling Fitting Connected to Sling Attachment Fitting:

Attaching to an Alternate Location on an Ear. Note the Strap Ends Connected by A Metal Square Loop. This is easily removable for use as a conventional strap:

A View of The Shoulder Pad on the Strap and the Gariz Single Finger Loop used as a protector: