The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Look what I found in the garden shed . . .

jonoslack

Clear out time . . . . and this is what I found:

This was my pride and joy back in the 70's. The frame was hand built for me by Youngs of Lewisham out of double butted tube (Reynolds, but I can't remember which number). I built the wheels myself, and all the kit is Shimano dura-ace (I couldn't afford the top of the range campagnolo). I used to respray the frame every year or so, and replace the decals.

I used to ride 27miles a day to work and back (right across London), rain or shine. When we moved out to Suffolk in 1983, it was only 15 miles to work, and I assumed I'd cycle, but one day on a Rural A road proved otherwise, and the bike drifted back through the shed, to be replaced by a mountain bike when the kids started cycling.

Amazingly, all I had to do was to pump up the tyres and get going - it's like wearing a very well fitting pair of training shoes - a thing of beauty and wonder (although the gearing is more suitable for a 25 year old!)

all the fittings are alloy or titanium, unfortunately the nuts and bolts aren't, so there's a little rust about:

Now - I'm sure there were some smaller front chain wheels around (for the old man in me). The Search Begins!
:OT:? Maybe, but the snaps were taken with the X100!

fotografz

What a hoot! :)

Hanging in my garage I have a 1965 Fuji Finest with a chrome Moly frame and all sorts of do-dads that were state of the art at the time. I think I upgraded the components in early 1970s to a Fuji Finest MK-II. The bike has been hanging unridden in the dark recesses of my garage for almost 20 years. I think I'll restore it this summer and give the old war horse a whirl. Broken bones here I come ...:eek:

Sorry, not shot with a Fuji X100 ... but since it's a Fuji bike I thought it'd be okay ... ;)

-Marc

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Love the pictures. Memories from old cars, bikes, boats can bring a smile to an otherwise unremarkable day!

Old Bikes New Bikes .... ANY Bike! Yet seriously while riding is great...it is too bad that most of us have to hedge our bets on the road. Here are a couple of my stress relief rides:

I love steel...

Dedacci Cromoly

And Titanium and Carbon - if built right.

Bob

mathomas

Nice old ride. I love steel bikes with lugs, and the ones on your bike are very nice. Dura-Ace components, even. Convert it to a singlespeed (the near-horizontal dropouts make it easily possible) and Bob's your uncle.

I wouldn't ride 30+ year old tires for very far though!

jonoslack

What a hoot! :)

Hanging in my garage I have a 1965 Fuji Finest with a chrome Moly frame and all sorts of do-dads that were state of the art at the time. I think I upgraded the components in early 1970s to a Fuji Finest MK-II. The bike has been hanging unridden in the dark recesses of my garage for almost 20 years. I think I'll restore it this summer and give the old war horse a whirl. Broken bones here I come ...:eek:

Sorry, not shot with a Fuji X100 ... but since it's a Fuji bike I thought it'd be okay ... ;)

-Marc
Splendid Marc, and your garage is obviously kinder than my shed, but Suntour and Sugino didn't really cut the mustard back then - my dura-ace was definitely second class . . . but only behind Campag!

The next step is to hop on board and ride it!

jonoslack

Probably 531

Bob
Hi Bob
I'm pretty sure you're right and that it was 531. It really was much used, daily, and on it's annual respray I got new decals from Youngs - but new Reynolds transfers were not possible.

I also had a curly Hetchins frame with splendid gothic lugs . . . but it was kitted out for my first wife, and she took it with her:cry::cry: (that would have been in 1972).

I then had another one . .. which was kitted out for a girlfriend in the late 70s . . .and she took that one with her too!

these days I'm tougher, and Emma has a Peugeot road bike, not worth leaving me for !

jonoslack

Nice old ride. I love steel bikes with lugs, and the ones on your bike are very nice. Dura-Ace components, even. Convert it to a singlespeed (the near-horizontal dropouts make it easily possible) and Bob's your uncle.

I wouldn't ride 30+ year old tires for very far though!
I'm sure that the bike could be easily converted to single speed . . but I'm not so convinced about the rider!

You are right about the tyres (even if you can't spell it) - they need changing, the tubes are, I suspect, considerably newer.

The real joy is that the wheels I built all those years ago are definitely still straight.

docmoore

I'm sure that the bike could be easily converted to single speed . . but I'm not so convinced about the rider!
My Kona PW is single speed...all about the ratio. Great for technique and a blast to ride....makes you ride ahead...anticipating hills and descents.

But my take on it is you should leave yours as is...and my S Works is Dura-Ace 9 speed wonderful.

Bob

jonoslack

My Kona PW is single speed...all about the ratio. Great for technique and a blast to ride....makes you ride ahead...anticipating hills and descents.

But my take on it is you should leave yours as is...and my S Works is Dura-Ace 9 speed wonderful.

Bob
Hi Bob
I think so too - it'd be nice to deal with the rust on the nuts and bolts though - any ideas?

all the best

mathomas

You are right about the tyres (even if you can't spell it) - they need changing, the tubes are, I suspect, considerably newer.

The real joy is that the wheels I built all those years ago are definitely still straight.
:ROTFL: Awww, but I did sneak in a "Bob's your uncle". It's funny, a little voice in my head said go ahead and spell it "tyres", too.

Cool that you built your wheels. I've built up a couple of bikes, but have never built my own wheelset.

docmoore

- it'd be nice to deal with the rust on the nuts and bolts though - any ideas?
Jono,

They are probably standard sized and might be replaced...you may even find period correct replacements without rust.

Second option is stripping the components and letting a local electroplate firm re-chrome them. Might be somewhat expensive.

Main concern is at the component frame interfaces...is there rust on the frame or inside the tubes that needs to be addressed.

Whilst a remake would be fun...I assume that at a certain point the newer frame geometries would make a new frame and/or bike quite a bit more accessible. Many builders still use a somewhat traditional geometry which is a bit more forgiving for those of use with mature necks and spines.

To whit:

http://www.rivbike.com/products/list/bicycle_models

I am sure that UK and Continent have like-minded builders...

For about the price of a medium telephoto.....

Bob