The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X100 - shooting RAW and using Aperture (not for grandmothers)

jonoslack

HI there
I don't want to be teaching my grandmother to suck eggs, so, for whom this is really obvious - apologies! I just thought that it might be helpful to someone!

Having re-evaluated the situation too many times, I do know that Aperture is the photographic program for me, there's no question about it.

However, as usual, Aperture have been slow to provide support for the X100, and I thought it might just be worth sharing the way I deal with this issue.

I'm always a little worried about using proprietary RAW formats anyway, so I don't have a problem about converting to DNG - fortunately the Adobe DNG converter is free, and you can get it from here:

Adobe DNG converter 6.4 for mac

Okay - this is what I do
First of all - I shoot RAW - then I insert the SD card into the computer and load DNG converter:

You can see that having set it up once, it defaults to using the folder in the SD card with the images:
/Volumes/Untitled/DCIM/100_FUJI/

The target location I've set up is a transit folder called

/Volumes/....../fujidng/

Again - having set this up once it will default to this folder each time you load DNG converter

Here's how it looks:

Having clicked the Convert button and put the kettle on, I remove the SD card, load Aperture and click on Import - I'll then choose the local drive and go to the

/Volumes/....../fujidng/ folder, which will then have all the DNG files ready to import.

I set Aperture to MOVE the files to the correct end location (I have a default project for each month, with a matching folder).

Like this:

After doing the import, the temporary fujidng folder is empty (the files having been moved), So there is no duplication of files and everything is neat and tidy.

. . . . . . . of course, I also have a backup routine which runs each night to backup the new files.

I hope this is helpful to someone!

all the best

emr

An interesting kludge, always happy to see good workarounds like that. But are all DNGs created equal? I mean that even if a PP software is capable of opening the files produced like this, are the results optimal? When Aperture or some other PP program bríngs the support for a certain camera, does importing such raw files then also provide specific corrections of different kinds of distortions and aberrations? Like how the in-camera corrections for JPGs work?

Just wondering.

EDIT: Don't know if the X100 has such corrections like for example Pentax K-5 does