Site Sponsors

Thread: X100 - shooting RAW and using Aperture (not for grandmothers)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

X100 - shooting RAW and using Aperture (not for grandmothers)

HI there
    I don't want to be teaching my grandmother to suck eggs, so, for whom this is really obvious - apologies! I just thought that it might be helpful to someone!

Having re-evaluated the situation too many times, I do know that Aperture is the photographic program for me, there's no question about it.

However, as usual, Aperture have been slow to provide support for the X100, and I thought it might just be worth sharing the way I deal with this issue.

I'm always a little worried about using proprietary RAW formats anyway, so I don't have a problem about converting to DNG - fortunately the Adobe DNG converter is free, and you can get it from here:

Adobe DNG converter 6.4 for mac

Okay - this is what I do
    First of all - I shoot RAW - then I insert the SD card into the computer and load DNG converter:

You can see that having set it up once, it defaults to using the folder in the SD card with the images:
    /Volumes/Untitled/DCIM/100_FUJI/

The target location I've set up is a transit folder called

/Volumes/....../fujidng/

Again - having set this up once it will default to this folder each time you load DNG converter

Here's how it looks:

Having clicked the Convert button and put the kettle on, I remove the SD card, load Aperture and click on Import - I'll then choose the local drive and go to the

/Volumes/....../fujidng/ folder, which will then have all the DNG files ready to import.

I set Aperture to MOVE the files to the correct end location (I have a default project for each month, with a matching folder).

Like this:

After doing the import, the temporary fujidng folder is empty (the files having been moved), So there is no duplication of files and everything is neat and tidy.

. . . . . . . of course, I also have a backup routine which runs each night to backup the new files.

I hope this is helpful to someone!

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Re: X100 - shooting RAW and using Aperture (not for grandmothers)

An interesting kludge, always happy to see good workarounds like that. But are all DNGs created equal? I mean that even if a PP software is capable of opening the files produced like this, are the results optimal? When Aperture or some other PP program bríngs the support for a certain camera, does importing such raw files then also provide specific corrections of different kinds of distortions and aberrations? Like how the in-camera corrections for JPGs work?

Just wondering.

EDIT: Don't know if the X100 has such corrections like for example Pentax K-5 does

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Aperture native support is now available!
    V/r John

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by barjohn View Post
    Aperture native support is now available!
    That's grand news John - doesn't make any difference to me, but it's good to know that Apple aren't that far behind Adobe.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

I just got Camera Raw update for X100.

no more Adobe DNG.

yes!