The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X100 Questions & Tips.

jsnack

I'm starting this thread so folks can ask & answer camera operational and setting questions, or, share their tips about something new they discovered.

My first question: How do you turn off image review?

jonoslack

Turning off Image Review

I'm starting this thread so folks can ask & answer camera operational and setting questions, or, share their tips about something new they discovered.

My first question: How do you turn off image review?
good idea - might I suggest that we actually use the Title of the messages for this thread - I know it's not the convention here but it'll certainly make it easier to find things!

Cog Menu
Scroll to IMAGE DISP. - turn it to OFF

Hooray!

jonoslack

Back to Front Battery Tip

Well, maybe it's just me that's dumb, the fact that the battery is rounded off on one corner suggested to me that it would only go in one way. This is not the case.

So, having charged it and put it back in I was understandably horrified that the camera didn't work.

So - if you've charged your battery and put it back, and the camera doesn't work - then you should turn it round!

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Re: Back to Front Battery Tip

Well, maybe it's just me that's dumb, the fact that the battery is rounded off on one corner suggested to me that it would only go in one way. This is not the case.

So, having charged it and put it back in I was understandably horrified that the camera didn't work.

So - if you've charged your battery and put it back, and the camera doesn't work - then you should turn it round!
Makes sense ;)

Sapphie

Jono

There's a big arrow on one side, so that should help orient it, so remember which way the arrow goes ...

Lee

jonoslack

The curve of the battery matches the curve of the battery compartment when everything's right.

So simple.
Jono

There's a big arrow on one side, so that should help orient it, so remember which way the arrow goes ...

Lee
Of course (to both of you) - but why does it fit the other way around? with most cameras you just bung it in . . . and if it's right it fits, and if it ain't it don't!

Of course, I'll never make that mistake again, but I'm willing to bet that I'm not the only one! Which is why I mentioned it.

Sapphie

Re: Remember to take the lens cap off

My first shot had the lens cap on, LOL. Haven't done that for a few years ... If the cap is still on you don't see bright frame etc in the VF, so this can be avoided!

Lee

jsnack

To answer my own question...to turn off image review go to the set-up menu, select "image display", and switch to off.

Very obvious, of course, but I managed to miss it first time around.

I hesitate giving this tip because everyone here at GetDPI is so talented.

It of course can apply to all your cameras, but particularly the x100 because of its many options and somewhat convoluted menu.

Determine your most common and/or comfortable camera settings and call it your starting point.

For example, my starting point settings are:
f/8, iso 200, aperture priority, manual focus (af/ae button to focus), compensation 0, flash -1/3. raw plus fine, velvia … (auto iso off but set at 1/3200 and 1/125). The more you learn about this camera the more settings you have to consider.

After a day of shooting and before you put your camera away (or before you take your camera out for the day), make sure you put your settings back to your starting point. This way the next time you start up your camera, you know your starting point and can easily adjust as needed.

Sapphie

One that is minor but I think quite cool - in manual focus mode, you can magnify the view by pressing the little top command jog dial. But, it stays in magnified view until you press the shutter release. So before pressssing the shutter you can pan around your scene in magnified view and press the AFL button to autofocus, then try somewhere else and AFL again in magnified view. This is displayed in the EVF of course.

I think that a lot of the 'quirks' of this camera are really quite well thought out features or at least are 'endearing'!.

The Fujiguys video is worth a look, even if most of what they cover is in the manual. Two things from it that were new on me

- the top jog dial can enable you to choose shutter speeds or apertures in 1/3 stops in between the full click settings ... except it doesn't currently work for aperture :-(

- in movie mode you can do a digital zoom prior to shooting by pressing the AF button on the left.

Lee

P.S. The 'bug' that saves a different ISO setting in a different shooting mode would be quite useful if they allowed you to choose AUTO ISO from the Fn button. Then you could effectively have AUTO ISO when in Program mode and, say, ISO 200, when in Av mode. That would be nice, though I guess it would just replicate many SLR 'green' buttons ...

OlliL

Thanks Lee, that magnification is pretty cool.
Just to let you know, when I press it again, mine goes out of magnification!
Maybe you should check that again.

Sapphie

Hi OlliL

Yes pressing that top jog dial button does take it out of magnification view but I was pleased to see that you can keep re-composing and pressing the AFL button and it will stay in magnified view until you press the shutter or indeed come out of magnified view intentionally. I suppose what pleased me is that pressing the AFL button didn't 'focus and unmagnify', like some cams might do.

The 1/3 increment stop thing - using the jog dial to go into 1/3 increments for aperture and the command wheel for shutter only currently works in Manual metering mode.

Lee

jonoslack

I hesitate giving this tip because everyone here at GetDPI is so talented.

It of course can apply to all your cameras, but particularly the x100 because of its many options and somewhat convoluted menu.

Determine your most common and/or comfortable camera settings and call it your starting point.

For example, my starting point settings are:
f/8, iso 200, aperture priority, manual focus (af/ae button to focus), compensation 0, flash -1/3. raw plus fine, velvia … (auto iso off but set at 1/3200 and 1/125). The more you learn about this camera the more settings you have to consider.

After a day of shooting and before you put your camera away (or before you take your camera out for the day), make sure you put your settings back to your starting point. This way the next time you start up your camera, you know your starting point and can easily adjust as needed.
Hi Joe
this is excellent good sense
it would be nice if the user settings were a bit more all-encompasing; on the Sony A900 they override everything, including button/dial settings on the body - it works really well.

Sapphie

You don't need to use the OK button!!

Once you are in the menu system, use the wheel to scroll up and down.

To go into a sub-menu press the right directional 'button', the side of the wheel marked 'flash'.

Make your change using the wheel or directional 'pads'.

Now press the right directional 'button', the side of the wheel marked 'macro'.

The change is made and you are out of that sub-menu.

A tip I picked up from

http://dantestella.c...nical/x100.html

Lee

barjohn

A tip posted on the X100Forum.com on the OK button. If you press firmly on the entire button including wheel you get the Menu without having to use your finger nail to press the smaller OK button. It works just fine to bring up the menu. Try it, you'll like it!