The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X100 MF mode is awesome for zone focus style street shooting

Millsart

I really really expecting the very worst with the X100 in MF mode, and granted the number of times you've got to spin the MF ring is a bit crazy (though nice you can pick the direction)

What I didn't expect, is that you can use the af/ae button to focus, which is perfect because thats how I set up my DSLR's and even more awesome is the distance scale in the viewfinder.

It not only shows you the distance the lens is focused at, but, also shows you the depth of field. You can instantly focus on a given subject at the distance you want, set the lens to your given aperture and know just exactly whats going to fall into your DOF.

As a former Leica RF owner, I really loved shooting this way, usually about F8, focused about 6 feet for a 35mm lens, and then its just a fast and discrete raise of the camera to the eye and take the shot.

This system with the focus range and dof display totally beats trying to look at the distance scale on a M mount lens or making a guess with the hyperfocal distance.

I guess not a lot of people really like to shoot his way anymore because I've heard no one talking about this feature really. Obviously there are times where you'd want to focus, either by AF or otherwise, but for street shooting I just dont think you can beat the pleasure of working with the zone focus and not having to worry about focus points, AF lag, too many spins of the MF ring etc. Its all about composition and reaction/anticipation.

Lets hope we do get a firmware update that gives some user control over the coarse/fine turning of the MF ring and I'll never even need to worry about the AF performance of the camera again.

Things worth every penny

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
see the thread on M9 user takes on the x100.

The x100 is pretty great for street shooting . But I rarely use the concept of hyperfocal distance because it doesn t yield the best IQ . I try to get the plane of focus exact and use the DOF as a margin of error or to give the scene adequate sharpness throughout.

But use of the rear button has significant advantages in that the camera is ready to shoot ....a quick trick I use ..if you want 8 ft focus on the ground 3 feet in front of you .

When I see a scene developing I anticipate the subject location and catch a quick AF focus point . Then the camera will not be refocusing as I compose . Feels the same as using an M when set up this way ..which is maybe why I favor it.

Millsart

For me, with my M9, I was always pretty slow to focus, so only really did so for posed shots, static scenes etc. For people, I'd more or less focus at the distance I felt a given lens gave me the best typical framing and then stop down enough to give myself a bit of room for error.

Info is right there on the lens, and more or less pretty clearly marked, but having it overlaid in the OVF window is just fantastic.

It lets you make some adjustments on the fly if your thinking of backing up a little and getting more of a full body shot instead of something tighter.

Just pick something about 10 feet away, quick press of the focus button and then see if the DOF covers it more or less to your liking.

Then just get ready, wait and shoot. No delays at all.

Not the only way I use the camera of course, but for a certain style, I'm really enjoying the results.

Do agree with you regarding hyperfocal though and for landscapes I do like to focus. Switched from some older VC lenses to rf coupled for that very reason.

For most street shooting style shots for me, its usually more about the moment than perfect focus. I'll sometimes have a touch of motion blur etc anyways, so nailing focus isn't too big of concern.

F8 and be there if you will lol

woodyspedden

Remember that hyperfocal use is not the same as Zone focus. It is only one type of zone focus which can sometimes be useful although in my opinion not on the X100.

I think the best approach is to have the camera in manual focus......use the AEL/AFL button to get near to the perfect focus plane and then adjust the focus ring to taste. LOL Of course you can set aperture so that you have DOF to taste as well. Takes some practice but once learned it does pretty good

I am anxious to see just what firmware changes Fuji will be making over the next few months. Getting the camera to near perfect doesn't seem like a super difficult thing to do

Works well for me

Woody

paparazzi666

I really really expecting the very worst with the X100 in MF mode, and granted the number of times you've got to spin the MF ring is a bit crazy (though nice you can pick the direction)

What I didn't expect, is that you can use the af/ae button to focus, which is perfect because thats how I set up my DSLR's and even more awesome is the distance scale in the viewfinder.

It not only shows you the distance the lens is focused at, but, also shows you the depth of field. You can instantly focus on a given subject at the distance you want, set the lens to your given aperture and know just exactly whats going to fall into your DOF.

As a former Leica RF owner, I really loved shooting this way, usually about F8, focused about 6 feet for a 35mm lens, and then its just a fast and discrete raise of the camera to the eye and take the shot.

This system with the focus range and dof display totally beats trying to look at the distance scale on a M mount lens or making a guess with the hyperfocal distance.

I guess not a lot of people really like to shoot his way anymore because I've heard no one talking about this feature really. Obviously there are times where you'd want to focus, either by AF or otherwise, but for street shooting I just dont think you can beat the pleasure of working with the zone focus and not having to worry about focus points, AF lag, too many spins of the MF ring etc. Its all about composition and reaction/anticipation.

Lets hope we do get a firmware update that gives some user control over the coarse/fine turning of the MF ring and I'll never even need to worry about the AF performance of the camera again.

Things worth every penny
You are right about the MF mode. Further advantage with MF mode in my experience.

- you can Auto focus below 0.7m without switching to macro mode
- you can use OVF or EVF and go below 0.7m, all the way down to 4 inches. You cant do that in other focus modes

So yes, the default mode for the x100 should be MF mode. Its a secret GEM.

Here's a sample macro shot...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/paparazzi666/5731546420/in/photostream

And many more, taken with the Fuji x100, if you browse the photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/paparazzi666/

Last edited: