The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

x100 - why I'm selling mine

jonoslack

Hi there
you may have seen it in the buy and sell.

I thought it might be worth explaining myself.

The reason I'm selling it is nothing to do with what it is, or what it does, it's simply that for the things I would use it for, I'm better off using my M9.

Simple as that.

It's not small enough to go in a pocket, for macro the K5 does a better job, for most of my nature, landscape and still life the M9 does a better job.

I really liked the camera - great fun to use, I even found most of the quirks endearing rather than irritating. The image quality was perfectly good, the macro mode fun to use. Even more enticing was all the fun of the forum, exchanging images and ideas with great people.

It was well worth £100 to spend a week or so playing with it.

But it's time to get back to what works best for me.

all the best

OlliL

Hi Jono,

I think many of us understand your decision, even though most of us don't have those alternatives. ;)

If I was you, I'd do the same.
A rangefinder with a 35mm is nearly the same size and in the case of an M9 better when it comes to IQ. I would say that if you compare these two, which in your case makes sense, the X100 seems redundant (at least if you don't need AF).

The K5 gives you flexibility, you can't get from neither, so a comparison would be foolish.

Kind regards
Oliver

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Ha Ha as predicted ! :D My exact feelings .

When I was in NYC with my 2 M9s and the x100 ..no way was I taking the x100 . This was serious shooting for me and to waste ? an opportunity for street shooting in order to test the latest and greatest ....seems like a judgement error . So I used it for one brief trip to Times Square.

I use a d7000 (similar spec to the K5) set up for fill flash with a GF diffuser and you can t beat it for the casual family shoots .

The advantages of the X100 for an M9 user ....higher ISO performance , small,lighter ,cheaper aren t enough . (Quite different if your main system is a DSLR or MF).

But ..rationale camera decisions are few and far between . :ROTFL:

And the X100 is really nice and I am working on taking it everywhere (which I will not do with 2 M9 s just because I have to be too careful ).

jonoslack

HI Roger
Ha Ha as predicted ! :D My exact feelings .

When I was in NYC with my 2 M9s and the x100 ..no way was I taking the x100 . This was serious shooting for me and to waste ? an opportunity for street shooting in order to test the latest and greatest ....seems like a judgement error . So I used it for one brief trip to Times Square.

I use a d7000 (similar spec to the K5) set up for fill flash with a GF diffuser and you can t beat it for the casual family shoots .

The advantages of the X100 for an M9 user ....higher ISO performance , small,lighter ,cheaper aren t enough . (Quite different if your main system is a DSLR or MF).

But ..rationale camera decisions are few and far between . :ROTFL:

And the X100 is really nice and I am working on taking it everywhere (which I will not do with 2 M9 s just because I have to be too careful ).
I recently bit the bullet and insured my Leica kit (nothing else, just the leica stuff). So that really isn't so much of an issue.

If I'm going to take different cameras, then I'd rather have the K5 and one M9 with a spare lens or so - the X100 covers so much similar ground, but there's no space left for it between the K5 and the M9 . . . and if I really want something for my pocket I'd be better off with an S95!

The reason for selling it is that it's muddying the water - I spend all the time doing comparison shots!

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
If I had an M9 AND a k5 I might sell my x100 too, but I don't :ROTFL:
-bob

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I ve gone thru the multiple system process a half dozen times. I ve always come back to my leica equipment and the M system in particular. So no argument here .

wjlapier

Totally understand.

I have the D7000 and I'm perfectly happy with it. If I had a M9 ( I will eventually ), I would also not keep the X100. I still like the GF1 and 20/1.7 combo and like the pics I get it. In fact, I still haven't taken a picture with the X100 yet. Too busy.

Millsart

I enjoyed my M9 a bit more than the X100 as well, and the overall IQ was indeed better as well (though the X100 at high ISO holds its own)

However, M9 and 35mm Cron, even at used priced is about a $8000 setup and given it was just a camera for personal enjoyment shooting, and not business, I couldn't really justify having such an investment as its pretty steep for a tool/toy I just like taking on walks around town etc.

X100, while again not cheap, at $1200 just made a ton more sense for my needs and still gives me much of the same enjoyment as my M9 did. No the files aren't quite as good (who doesn't love viewing m9 files at 100% and seeing that detail and clarity right?) but in terms of the overall shooting experience, its pretty much on the money.

I've got a small, lightweight camera, with a great lens, some nice analog controls and a very nice OVF, all with some classic styling. I find myself carrying it like the M9, shooting the same things and in the same manner as the M9, and being very happy with the overall IQ of the camera and given its 1/5th the cost, far easier to enjoy.

All things being equal I'd go M9 if money isn't an issue, but it is for me right now, so I'm really enjoying still getting the essence of Leica shooting on a budget.

woodyspedden

HI Roger

I recently bit the bullet and insured my Leica kit (nothing else, just the leica stuff). So that really isn't so much of an issue.

If I'm going to take different cameras, then I'd rather have the K5 and one M9 with a spare lens or so - the X100 covers so much similar ground, but there's no space left for it between the K5 and the M9 . . . and if I really want something for my pocket I'd be better off with an S95!

The reason for selling it is that it's muddying the water - I spend all the time doing comparison shots!
No disagreement with your choice but insuring the M9 and lenses isn't the only issue. If your M9 and lenses are stolen, you may have to wait a year to get replacements! Anyway, that doesn't really have anything to do with the X100 but only with Leica continuing to be so slow in getting lenses to market after the M9 has been out there for two years!

Just my thoughts

Woody

Millsart

Insurance is obviously always a good idea for any high value equipment, and a separate policy is best as well, not under your homeowners etc.

That said, I think with the Leica's, there is still that issue of feeling like your holding a valuable jewel in your hands. Who wants to get some scratches etc on their camera ?

We can say they are just tools etc all we want, but at the same time, we know how expensive it is and I think most of us like to keep it nice because we want to keep our resale value up.

Buying a $7k camera isn't as bad when we feel we can get $6k out of it. Its not like that $7k is just gone, know what I mean.

But that does lead to a bit of babying perhaps, at least it did with me. X100 is at a price where Im not as worried. I don't abuse it of course, but its "just" a camera. Not the end of the world if its damaged while out shooting, or something I've got to worry about in the hotel safe etc

When I had the M9, it was still a camera, but was it "just" a camera ? My little shoulder bag with M9 and a couple of lenses was worth more than my car. Always was aware of that in the back of my mind.

All things are relative though of course, some folks have the money to own a backup M9, other people may feel a $1200 camera is a huge investment. No one is right or wrong.

For me at least, X100 really fit just right in what I could afford, what I could justify spending for the use I get out of it, and still gets me nearly all the same enjoyment shooting it as the M9.

To each his own, but I think it perfectly balances everything I want in everyway.

dhsimmonds

Hi there
...............you may have seen it in the buy and sell.
The reason I'm selling it is nothing to do with what it is, or what it does, it's simply that for the things I would use it for, I'm better off using my M9.
Simple as that..................
Well Jono, I gave you a month before you came to this decision, but I never dreamt that it would only be a week before you parted company!:ROTFL:

This section of the forum will be all the poorer without you but I guess we can all tune in to the Leica section to see how you are doing!:(
Or the Sony section or Pentax sections, or even LUF? :sleep006:

Sapphie

Jono

Well, I don't have Leicas. All I can say is I love the X100 (after 3 days). I used to have a Mamiyas (a TLR and the '7' rangefinder) so I know what it is like to have quality equipment ... ignoring the 'value added idiot proof' stuff they have tried to add to the X100, using it as it was really intended is wonderful. I even like the OVF/EVF switch, youngsters won't even know that 'old timers' cameras had such a switch that was actually the self-timer.

It just *feels* so good and refreshing. On the other hand, no point having surplus equipment sitting there doing nothing and losing value.

Lee

P.S. Do you know ... and I don't remember seeing this mentioned elsewhere, one of the first things I took notice of was its screw-in manual cable release facility! Boy, I have to raid my boxes to see if I still have one! Probably no point with the built in self-timer mind you ...

dhsimmonds

.................P.S. Do you know ... and I don't remember seeing this mentioned elsewhere, one of the first things I took notice of was its screw-in manual cable release facility! Boy, I have to raid my boxes to see if I still have one! Probably no point with the built in self-timer mind you ...
Funny that, I have a shoot lined up for tomorrow in Dorset and as some of it will be outside in late evening a tripod will almost certainly be needed and I shall be resurrecting my old screw-in cable release and really looking forward to it. Last time it was used was on a Pentacon 6!! My trusty Sony A900 will be with me as back up, but I am very confident that the X100 will handle it well.:thumbup:

Sapphie

Funny that, I have a shoot lined up for tomorrow in Dorset and as some of it will be outside in late evening a tripod will almost certainly be needed and I shall be resurrecting my old screw-in cable release and really looking forward to it. Last time it was used was on a Pentacon 6!! My trusty Sony A900 will be with me as back up, but I am very confident that the X100 will handle it well.:thumbup:
Dave

LOL indeed!!! I think I last used one on a Pentax K1000. Oh dear.

You are using a Sony A900 as 'back up'??

I guess you will practice a bit with that cable release first but I hope the X100 performs well for you. Great stuff!

Lee

jonoslack

Lee, Dave
I have a Sony A900 as a backup too :ROTFL: and that's going nowhere.

I understand the attraction of the X100 - like it myself - As for the lever - it changes the framelines on the M9 (not that it gets used much).

I went out for an hour with the dog and the M9 and a 50 f1.4 this evening, and it was like putting on a nice comfy and familiar pair of shoes.

all the best to both

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Hi there
you may have seen it in the buy and sell.

Simple as that.

It's not small enough to go in a pocket, for macro the K5 does a better job, for most of my nature, landscape and still life the M9 does a better job.

I really liked the camera - great fun to use, I even found most of the quirks endearing rather than irritating. The image quality was perfectly good, the macro mode fun to use. Even more enticing was all the fun of the forum, exchanging images and ideas with great people.

It was well worth £100 to spend a week or so playing with it.

But it's time to get back to what works best for me.

all the best
Congratulations

right choice!

Peter

I would love to have an M9, but such a huge $$ investment.
And I can just imagine going down that slippery $$ road of always wanting one more lens.
As quirky as the x100 may be, at least I know it gives me wonderful images day or night.
And as a closed system, there is no slippery $$ road for the fuji.
Well at least until the x200 is announced.
Thanks for your comments and I look forward to seeing your M9 images Jono.

Last edited:

jonoslack

I would love to have an M9, but such a huge $$ investment.
And I can just imagine going down that slippery $$ road of always wanting one more lens.
As quirky as the x100 may be, at least I know it gives me wonderful images day or night.
And as a closed system, there is no slippery $$ road for the fuji.
Well at least until the x200 is announced.
Thanks for your comments and I look forward to seeing your M9 images Jono.
Hi Joe
Well, I slipped down that road with an early M8, and I have all the lenses I want (after much trial and error). The advantage is that although the bodies do lose value, the lenses usually appreciate as long as you buy them carefully.

I've been shooting an M9 for almost 2 years now, so it does at least have the advantage of familiarity!

But still, nobody has bought my X100 yet!

On the other hand, Fuji seem to have started sending me emails!