The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

x100 - why I'm selling mine

monza

No disagreement with your choice but insuring the M9 and lenses isn't the only issue. If your M9 and lenses are stolen, you may have to wait a year to get replacements!
This is a very good point. M9s are not difficult to obtain now, but if you need to replace a 35 lux or 50 lux, or other particular lenses, best of luck...might have to settle for alternative optics for an extended period.

Armanius

I recently bit the bullet and insured my Leica kit (nothing else, just the leica stuff). So that really isn't so much of an issue.

If I'm going to take different cameras, then I'd rather have the K5 and one M9 with a spare lens or so - the X100 covers so much similar ground, but there's no space left for it between the K5 and the M9 . . . and if I really want something for my pocket I'd be better off with an S95!

The reason for selling it is that it's muddying the water - I spend all the time doing comparison shots!
I also insured my M9 last year. Made me feel a whole lot better while using it!

Looks like our gear overlaps quite a lot - K5, M9, S95 (well S90 in my case) ... and for now, the X100 (until someone buys yours).

But I totally understand about muddying the waters. I'm trying to un-muddy them myself. So will likely sell some stuff off as well.

Will miss y'a in the Fuji forum!

jonoslack

I also insured my M9 last year. Made me feel a whole lot better while using it!

Looks like our gear overlaps quite a lot - K5, M9, S95 (well S90 in my case) ... and for now, the X100 (until someone buys yours).

But I totally understand about muddying the waters. I'm trying to un-muddy them myself. So will likely sell some stuff off as well.

Will miss y'a in the Fuji forum!
Well, the S95 belongs to Silas (some offspring of mine) I do have an A900 as well.

However, nobody seems to be buying my X100, so I might not be gone (well, if I've got it I might as well shoot it!).

I thought it despicable of you to post those bicycle shots though :mad::ROTFL:

jonoslack

What, they want it back? ;)
:) I wish - no, they've been telling me that you shouldn't use manual focus in OVF mode, and . . . .well, basically they've just told me "It doesn't work like that" about all the problems.

This is a very good point. M9s are not difficult to obtain now, but if you need to replace a 35 lux or 50 lux, or other particular lenses, best of luck...might have to settle for alternative optics for an extended period.
Of course you're right - but that's not a reason not to be insured. If my .95 NOCT get's stolen/broken/lost, then I'll be sad, and I'll miss it until it's replaced, but it's a lot better that someone else is going to either pay for it or give me it's replacement value!

To be fair - the only camera gear I've ever had stolen was a minolta vectis from the back of a van in Rome in . . . . 1990? (life is full of small miracles:)). I'm not planning on it, but knowing that one is financially covered is helpful if you have a bag worth $50,000!

Terry

:)
To be fair - the only camera gear I've ever had stolen was a minolta vectis from the back of a van in Rome in . . . . 1990? (life is full of small miracles:)). I'm not planning on it, but knowing that one is financially covered is helpful if you have a bag worth $50,000!
And a very close call at a restaurant - where your persistence paid off.

fotografz

I think the thought here is that IF you have a M9 and know how to comfortably and creatively use it like Jono does, then what's the point?

He doesn't have to deal with the short supply of M lenses, he already has the lenses. He has now insured it, but he used it to good effect when it wasn't insured. It is no more precious than a $8K Canon or Nikon ... and a lot easier to hide :ROTFL:

I have nothing against APSc sized sensor cameras ... I use a Black NEX5 with Leica M lenses on it ... fun, and I've gotten very fast at using the mag LCD to focus fast M lenses in very low light. I can use it as AF, or with a slew of M optics, or a slew of my Zeiss A900 lenses ... the point of it is that it is a teeny-tiny emergency back-up for both the M and Sony systems ... but not as good as either.

I think the X100 is cool. If it took other lenses it would be a real contender IMO.

-Marc

woodyspedden

Marc

You missed my point. I said that if his M9 and lenses were stolen, it is great to be covered financially but getting replacement lenses may take forever at the current state of Leica production. The fact that he already has lenses is wonderful but doesn't deal with what happens if they are stolen. Getting a 50Lux has now been a major dilemma for over a year and things don't seem to be getting better.

So my original thesis still stands. If you want or need your expensive Leica gear for any purpose, go for it. But for carrying around every day so that you always have a camera with you, an alternative like the K-5 which is 1/5th the cost of the body and of course immeasurably cheaper when it comes to lenses, seems sensible to me.

Just my thoughts

Woody

fotografz

Marc

You missed my point. I said that if his M9 and lenses were stolen, it is great to be covered financially but getting replacement lenses may take forever at the current state of Leica production. The fact that he already has lenses is wonderful but doesn't deal with what happens if they are stolen. Getting a 50Lux has now been a major dilemma for over a year and things don't seem to be getting better.

So my original thesis still stands. If you want or need your expensive Leica gear for any purpose, go for it. But for carrying around every day so that you always have a camera with you, an alternative like the K-5 which is 1/5th the cost of the body and of course immeasurably cheaper when it comes to lenses, seems sensible to me.

Just my thoughts

Woody
I understood the point Woody.

Not carrying the tool of preference out of fear is an odd concept to me.

IF it is stolen, and IF at that given unknown future time the replacements weren't available, and IF it had to be that specific equipment bar none ... is a lot of Ifs and maybes.

Why would I shoot with something less than my preference? I can always get the lesser tool IF something happens in the unknown future ... in the meantime I am shooting with what I prefer. The concept feels like you have already been mugged for your Leica while you still have it in your possession ;)

-Marc

Interesting discussion.
Much depends on whether one owns an M9.
Just out of curiosity and slightly off topic - what is a nice one, two and three kit lens for the M9?
Slippery road ahead.

Paratom

Interesting discussion.
Just out of curiosity and slightly off topic - what is a nice one, two and three kit lens for the M9?
Slippery road ahead.
for me:
1 lens: 35mm
2 lens: 35 and 75 or 24 and 50
3 lens: 24,35,75 or 21/35/50

my most used lenses on the M9 are 50mm and then 35mm

kuau

Workshop Member
I was thinking about getting a X100 to replace my X1, I have an M9 also, but.... for me I like the x1 still because of its size pocketable and I shot my X1 at F5.6 F8 only so I'm sticking with my X1

Steven

ashwinrao1

Steve, greetings....I find the X100 more pocketable than the M9, similar to the X1....IQ is different. You aren't wrong to stick with the X1....but the x100 is lovely....

Paratom

I was thinking about getting a X100 to replace my X1, I have an M9 also, but.... for me I like the x1 still because of its size pocketable and I shot my X1 at F5.6 F8 only so I'm sticking with my X1

Steven
Thats what I finally decided. The Hybridviewfinder of the x100 seems very nice, but then I also find it considrably bigger in size, plus the x1 has a built in flash, plus I allready have the x1.
If I did not have the x1 allready I might have deicded different (because of hybrid VF and faster lens, but still I find the x100 on the boarder for a compact camera. Its more a small M9 than a big x1 IMO sizewise.

dhsimmonds

The X100 also has a built in flash, plus a great viewfinder IMHO.

As I can't use LCD screens for viewing and framing images and as I don't like external viewfinders, the X100 is a fantastic alternative to the X1, NEX 5 etc, etc. The built in 3 stop neutral density also worked well for me yesterday.

Yep, I sure like it! :ROTFL:

jonoslack

HI There Marc
He doesn't have to deal with the short supply of M lenses, he already has the lenses. He has now insured it, but he used it to good effect when it wasn't insured. It is no more precious than a $8K Canon or Nikon ... and a lot easier to hide :ROTFL:
Quite, and apart from the rather dodgy restaurant episode that Terry refers to :eek::eek::eek: Most of the time I'm more likely to drop it than have it stolen.

Marc

Hi Woody - of course you're right about the lenses, but there are plenty of good substitutes while you wait (Zeiss, secondhand etc.), so although getting right back up there may take some time, getting shooting again wouldn't.

all the best

jonoslack

Interesting discussion.
Slippery road ahead.
Oh Joe!
it is a bit slippery.

I'm not far away from Tom, but he misses out the lovely 28 'cron

so
1 lens:
50 summilux

2 lens 28 summicron and 50 summilux

3 lens 28 summicron, 50 summilux, 75 summicron

all the best

Paratom

Oh Joe!
it is a bit slippery.

I'm not far away from Tom, but he misses out the lovely 28 'cron

so
1 lens:
50 summilux

2 lens 28 summicron and 50 summilux

3 lens 28 summicron, 50 summilux, 75 summicron

all the best
Hi Jono,
I find the 28 cron too close to 35.
Lately I prefer 24 if I use wide angle becaue images are a little bit more dynamic. Matter of taste.

jonoslack

Hi Jono,
I find the 28 cron too close to 35.
Lately I prefer 24 if I use wide angle becaue images are a little bit more dynamic. Matter of taste.
I do agree - on both counts
You'll notice I haven't included either of my Grand Lenses (or the 35 'lux come to that) - I like the 28 'cron's gentle look, but also the size (long since given up with that grotesque lens hood).

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I do agree - on both counts
You'll notice I haven't included either of my Grand Lenses (or the 35 'lux come to that) - I like the 28 'cron's gentle look, but also the size (long since given up with that grotesque lens hood).
Good subject for another topic. While the character of the lenses is often in the eye of the beholder.....it is clear that as the Leica glass gets faster and newer designs ...the contrast (both macro and micro ) and the color saturation pick up . You will notice a little more snap in the images .

That isn t always a benefit ..it depends on the subject and the light . If you have soft overcast skies or reflected available light ....the new glass can add some richness to the IQ . On a raining day I almost always start with my 35 /14 apsh . On a bright sun shiny day or in say the slanting harsh light of a summer evening (without cloud) its the 28/2 summicron everytime. This of course pushes the images toward the middle which then lets me adjust in post processing.

Obviously both of these lenses are superb and you could build a kit starting with either of them.

However the most important decision should be FOV and unless you work with 2 bodies . the 35 requires significantly less changing of lenses . With 2 bodies its the 28/50 for my body caps.

The focal length that doesn t work well is 75 ...because you would expect the summilux to be edgy and contrasty . Its such an old design that its closer to the pre asph 50 and has much lower contrast wide open than the 75 summicron .

For overcast,winter,softer light .....its the 24/35 summiluxes and the 75 summicron. For say Florida in the winter ..its the 21/2.8,28/2,50/2 and the 75/1.4 . Doesn t seem right does it .