The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji x100 - The Little Camera That Could

After shooting with the Fuji x100 for a couple of weeks, here are the features I particularly enjoy:

Excellent image quality in good daylight.
Surprisingly clean images in low light (iso 1600 and 3200).
Excellent jpegs straight OOC.
Nice shallow depth of field in a wide-angle lens.
A built-in ND filter to allow shooting at f/2 in bright light.
Flash sync speed up to 1/4000 sec. (manual states 1/2000).
Option of OVF or EVF or LCD monitor viewing (I use all three).
Silent mode.
Macro mode.
Great looks.
Compact size makes it my go-to camera whenever I walk out the door.

Of course there are many things that can be improved, but I try to utilize the strengths and capabilities of my photographic equipment.
However, there is one small feature I really miss - and that is blinking blown highlights in the playback mode.

There are many cameras that can easily exceed each capability or feature of the x100.
But, it is impossible to find the combination of the above features in any other package, let alone one as small and compact as the Fuji x100 or as I like to call it - The Little Camera That Could.

Last edited:

Millsart

Wow, I had no clue it could sync that fast. At what fstop setting ??

I was just doing an outdoor posed action shoot today and the 1/250th sync speed limit on my D3 was killing me. Really was trying to overexpose ambient as much as possible but with such a slow sync limit theres only so much you can do

I believe max sync speeds are:
1/4000 at f8.
1/2000 at f/4.
1/1000 at f/2.

This is a feature that has not received much fanfare.
Incredible outdoor portraits, fashion shoots, skateboarding etc are possible.

Sapphie

Joe

In my brief time with it so far, I think it is just wonderful. I don't tend to use flash much but tried it yesterday and to my delight it tends to act more as a 'fill in' flash, rather than the usual blast 'em with white light from built-in flashes.

This may be of interest too:

http://dantestella.com/technical/x100.html

Lee

paparazzi666

Joe

In my brief time with it so far, I think it is just wonderful. I don't tend to use flash much but tried it yesterday and to my delight it tends to act more as a 'fill in' flash, rather than the usual blast 'em with white light from built-in flashes.

This may be of interest too:

http://dantestella.com/technical/x100.html

Lee
The Fuji x100 built in flash has made me use flash again after 24 months of not using flash. The Fuji's flash can be used as main light or fill light with tremendous control. However, the lowest flash compensation is -2/3 and +2/3. Fuji should allow +2 to -2 range.

Here's a sample shot with flash.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/paparazzi666/5699384502/in/photostream

And many more if you browse the phtostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/paparazzi666/

jonoslack

HI There Joe & Lee
I quite agree - having stopped being hacked off by the 'not quites' I'm now really enjoying it's good qualities, of which there are many.

Like Paparazzi, I've started using fill flash with it because it works so well. And I never use flash normally.

interesting fun and grand results . ..

Sapphie

HI There Joe & Lee
I quite agree - having stopped being hacked off by the 'not quites' I'm now really enjoying it's good qualities, of which there are many.

Like Paparazzi, I've started using fill flash with it because it works so well. And I never use flash normally.

interesting fun and grand results . ..
A coming together of like-minded photographers? I think Fuji need to give us a good tutorial on how *they* envisaged it to be used; we are discovering good stuff 'under the skin' daily ...

I think it's the best camera fun I have had in a long time ... as you suggested in another thread, it could just be the toy of the moment but we will see ...

Lee

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
So Jack . . . have you bought one?
I have been resisting. I have my GH2's which I truly love shooting with, and then my bigger camera which I also love shooting with. Since shooting time is precious, so I'd rather use what I already have. However, I had considered selling one of the GH2's and a lens and replace it with the little Fuji.