The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X100 - A Sunday afternoon walk around town

Sapphie

I think I love this little beauty; it is starting to make me wonder why I have any other gear now ... it feels so discreet, it is so quiet.

A couple of churches:

Some B&W:

Some local colour!

I can't believe that last one. It was shot in a quite dark alley and came out at ISO3200. The flash did fire, I must have accidentally enabled it. Thing is it is better than my K5 would have done, I'm convinced of it.

Most of the above had LR 3.4 lens corrections enabled and had zero output sharpening.

After the battery ran out I used my GH2 for a little bit. It had the 14-45mm zoom on it and for a while I completely forgot that I could turn the zoom ring!

Lee

Last edited:

Sapphie

In fact I am beside myself with disbelief for that last shot - I have to keep checking the image details in LR to make sure it really is IS03200 ...

Lee

Sapphie

I too like the blues and the black & whites. How are you processing your B&W?
Hi John

Thanks. Yes there do seem to be a lot of blues, something subliminal perhaps! 'Fuji' blues, maybe ? Well, they are actually quite true to life.

B&W - nothing special at all, import into LR, maybe an Auto-tone or strong contrast curve, then just hit the Black & White button.

All are RAW, of course ...

Lee

barjohn

Try the following preset and let me know what you think.

Fill light 25
Blacks 15
Brightness 50
Contrast 25
Clarity 50
Vibrance 25
Saturation 5
Tone curve medium contrast

This is a starting point only.

Then turn on the highlight over exposure indicator and bring the recover slider up to recover most of the highlights. Then slide saturation to 0 and adjust brightness down to recover the remaining highlights and tweak fill to please.

Let me know what you think.

jonoslack

Excellent Lee
Lots of great shots - I'm preparing a Sunday Afternoon around the footpaths thread - only one church, but plenty of blue!

all the best

Rich M

I think I love this little beauty; it is starting to make me wonder why I have any other gear now ... it feels so discreet, it is so quiet.
Lee.....thanks for sharing these pictures.

John......thanks for sharing your LR settings. As soon as I make some coffee, I'm going to amble over to the computer and play with them a bit.

R

Sapphie

Try the following preset and let me know what you think.

Fill light 25
Blacks 15
Brightness 50
Contrast 25
Clarity 50
Vibrance 25
Saturation 5
Tone curve medium contrast

This is a starting point only.

Then turn on the highlight over exposure indicator and bring the recover slider up to recover most of the highlights. Then slide saturation to 0 and adjust brightness down to recover the remaining highlights and tweak fill to please.

Let me know what you think.
John

Just gave this a go. Most of the shots didn't actually have much in the way of blown highlights, however your tips helped me appreciate that the pics can look a lot better. I won't bore you all with more multiple copies, so here's just one of them, which could no doubt be better still:

I guess old habits mean that I have an aversion to pushing sliders too far but I have a lot to learn with getting good B&W (well, probably with most things!) so your tips here are much appreciated.

Cheers

Lee

Sapphie

The 'chapel' photo with similar treatment and enough from me tonight. I am enjoying the X100 and the inspiration from you regulars on this forum!

Lee