The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Slow startup on X100

Jeffg53

When I got my X100, I had very slow startup times until I formatted the card in the camera. From then it has worked beautifully until today. I am shooting RAW only and am currently travelling so I have more than 250 images on my card. Today I got the same weird problem. I turn the camera on and it just sits there doing nothing for 30 seconds or so and then starts to work.

Am i the only one with this problem. I haven't seen it elsewhere?

I am using a 16GB Sandisk Extreme Pro so the card shouldn't be an issue.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Jeff,
Have you tried using a fresh card?
It sounds like the camera is reading the loaded card looking for space.
I run 4&8 gb cards and have not had a problem.
Also, turn off all power saving functions. Carry a few spare batteries. Just turn the camera off & on when you need it. It starts faster from off then from a wake up.

OlliL

Am i the only one with this problem. I haven't seen it elsewhere?
I have the same thing, when I download the pictures onto my ipad and then put it back in the camera. If I'm in OVF mode (Display disabled) I can't get it to start. When I have the display enabled, it starts up immediately.

jonoslack

Perhaps the iPad is the clue here
Terry posted something about this (Terry, where are you?)

The Ipad writes various files onto the card (I think they start with a . and are very small). These seem to confuse the X100 - you can try to delete them, or, of course, reformat the card in the camera.

Sounds like it's what your problem is.

all the best

OlliL

I reformat it in the camera afterwards, next start is faster then, so that's definetly the bottleneck. What sucks is, that I have to remember to turn the display on, before I insert the card, but I'll learn ^^

But I don't know, if this helps Jeff ;)

Jeffg53

Thanks folks. I only have that number of files because I am travelling. I am using a16GB card on a MBP. I will look at the card when I get home for funny files.

I have never seen this behaviour in any other camera system.

barjohn

The iPad (always) and the iMac will sometimes write an entire directory structure on the card along with indexes for use by Spotlight. These are dot files so you can not normally see them on the Macs or iPad as they are hidden files. However, the camera can see them and it gets confused by them when it tries to build its own directory structure to know where to save its images. I think there is a way to tell the Mac not to use Spotlight on a removable drive but I don't think there is for the iPad. You can check for the files using a Windows machine. It starts with a few files and folders and as you dig in it expands.

Terry

The other option I've read is to lock the card for read only before you insert it into your Mac or iPad. This way those files can't be written to the card.

Jeffg53

Well, the weirdness continues. This morning the X100 turns on quickly again. Yesterday it was consistently slow, today fast. Beats me.

barjohn

Terry, I forgot that one. Of course if you are connecting the camera directly it is a pain to first remove the card and lock it before plugging in the cable. :)

Terry

Well, the weirdness continues. This morning the X100 turns on quickly again. Yesterday it was consistently slow, today fast. Beats me.
I had slow start up one afternoon. Soon after I ran out of juice on the battery. I wonder if a low battery also has something to do with it.