The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X100 and UV filters?

S

Stephen L

Should I buy better filters to remove the glass? Or should I just get a really cheap one? Are the rings on the b+w filters better than say a tiffen one?

S

Stephen L

On the B+W that I disassembled, I just grabbed the glass and rotated it, and it slowly came loose, which allowed the retaining ring to start loosening up. Otherwise there was nowhere to grip the retaining ring.

Some retaining rings have two little spots where you can use a spanner or one can fashion a tool out of some tweezers (with fine points) with the prongs spread apart wide.
I just purchased a tiffen filter and it's so hard to remove the glass.. I've been trying to remove this thing for 30 minutes with no luck.. any tips on how to remove it easily?

Millsart

Should I buy better filters to remove the glass? Or should I just get a really cheap one? Are the rings on the b+w filters better than say a tiffen one?

I would just go for a cheap one because even if the rings do get some wear, for the price of a B+W filter you could replace it many, many times over.

Additionally, I've heard some 3rd parties are going to have some dedicated adapters and hoods for the X100 soon so I think the filter method is really more of a stop gap til either Fuji ships their admittedly overpriced solution or some third parties start having knockoffs on ebay

E

enenrf

I just received my third party adapter today, it cost $29. the built quality is better than I expect. sort of regret that I did not order the Hood together with adapter.
I will use a B+W with it.