The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

To those with both the X100 and m43

Roel

hi folks,

I ended up getting an X100 about a week ago. Love it. Just love it. It has a couple of quirks, but nothing that would inhibit me from shooting with it. In fact, it has purposefully slowed me down and makes me visualize and truly think about what it is I am trying to capture.

The IQ is simply awesome and I have to give kudos to Fuji for the OVF/EVF... they were really thinking outside of the box with this.

My m4/3 kit is pretty lonely these days as I mostly shot with my GF1 and 20mm pancake. It seems that my wife has taken a liking to it though, so all is not lost.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread... I really appreciate the feedback.

agoglanian

I'm quite tempted to move over to the X100 from my M4/3 kit myself. I am a big fan of the 35mm focal length, and the low light capabilities of the X100 are just making me drool.

I love the m4/3 system for its flexibility, but if I'm honest I'm too much of a gear nut to dabble in this system. I'm always wanting this accessory or that lens or that body, etc. etc. I like to collect things and it gets in the way of my shooting sometimes.

The simplicity of the X100 appeals greatly to me, especially because I have a fully stocked Canon DSLR system.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
I moved out of m43 some time ago. I find the X100 just what I need and want. It's very satisfying to once again just use 1 lens without the option of something else.
I'm a 35mm fov shooter also. The X100 is perfect if you just want to work.
If you like changing lenses, adapting all kinds of things to your body, carrying a camera bag with LORD knows what's in it, then the M43 is the way to go.

Nahhhh, not me...The X100 will shine light on your thoughts and not intrude in your vision.
Don

Last edited:

Roel

I am the OP and I must say I am thrilled with my X100. I know it is little quirky, but after the firmware upgrade, it does exactly what I need it to do. I am very happy with it and find the 35mm focal length is just right for me.

I have a Nikon D3s when I need an interchangeable lens system ... I just finished selling off my m4/3 kit as I do not see using it much now that I have the X100 and take it everywhere with me. There have been a couple times where I wished I had a longer focal length, but that doesn't happen very often.

Again, kudos to Fuji for this great little camera.

Paratom

I have been tempted by the x100 but finally didnt do it because I allread have the x1.
However over the last weeks something changed for me and I seem to not get along that well anymore with 35mm fov as only lens. It allways feels either too tight or too wide to me now.

Even though it cant compete IQ wise thats the reason why I now got a xz-1 (when I want small) and would prefer a m4/3 with 2 lenses (maybe the new Oly primes?) over the xz-1.
The big argument FOR the x100 is the optical viewfinder IMO-I just dont like EVF that much.

I just would recommend to really make sure 35mm fov works well. (personal thing)

agoglanian

I moved out of m43 some time ago. I find the X100 just what I need and want. It's very satisfying to once again just use 1 lens without the option of something else.
I'm a 35mm fov shooter also. The X100 is perfect if you just want to work.
If you like changing lenses, adapting all kinds of things to your body, carrying a camera bag with LORD knows what's in it, then the M43 is the way to go.

Nahhhh, not me...The X100 will shine light on your thoughts and not intrude in your vision.
Don

That is precisely why I'm switching away from m4/3. I'm too much of a gadget freak and I wound up having this bag FULL of stuff! Adapted lenses all over the place, frantically searching thrift stores for more glass and I just wound up with an equally cumbersome setup to my DSLRs.

I'm switching to the X100 and I'll keep it with my rangefinder and call it a day :)

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I have been tempted by the x100 but finally didnt do it because I allread have the x1.
However over the last weeks something changed for me and I seem to not get along that well anymore with 35mm fov as only lens. It allways feels either too tight or too wide to me now.

Even though it cant compete IQ wise thats the reason why I now got a xz-1 (when I want small) and would prefer a m4/3 with 2 lenses (maybe the new Oly primes?) over the xz-1.
The big argument FOR the x100 is the optical viewfinder IMO-I just dont like EVF that much.

I just would recommend to really make sure 35mm fov works well. (personal thing)
35mm does not work so well for me either as fixed focal length. Then I rather prefer 28 or even 24.

Actually I do not understand why one would restrict to the X100 when owning a M9 with several lenses :confused:

Millsart

Maybe they don't want to take a $7000 M9 and a bag with thousands of more dollars worth of lenses everywhere they go ?

Sometimes perhaps just a simple, yet fun to shoot camera, with great IQ like the X100 fits the bill even with a M9 ??

Perhaps they like having two focal lengths such as a 21mm or a 90mm on the M9 and instead of switching lenses, the X100 makes an easy way to get a second focal length. Way less money than buying two M9's.

Perhaps they feel okay leaving the X100 under the drivers seat or in the glove box sometimes because its "only" $1200 while their M gear is $20,000 and given the backlog on the Lux glass, not really something you could replace.

Plenty of reasons to own both a M9 and a X100

peterb

Maybe I'm alone here but I had the opportunity to check out an X100 that I lusted after but afterwards was no longer wanting. Having had an M6 years ago I really wanted to like it but found the focus sluggish and overall handling while nicely done, just so-so. I've had a G1 for three years now and like it as much as I did when I first got it (I got rid of the kit lens and just use the 20mm f1.7 which is extraordinary IMHO). I'd considered getting the GH2 but held off and I'm glad I did because I'd really like to get the G3 (which seems to be really wowing many online reviewers--the most recent being the venerable DPreview).

Every time I have considered another camera system I keep coming back to the m4/3s system for several reasons. Chief among them is, of course, the smaller, more manageable size. This is followed by reasonably superb optics (and the potential to experiment with others via adapters that, while lacking AF, can focus reasonably well using the EVF. I'd be okay with the X100's fixed lens but I find the 20mm f1.7 to be pretty good. And while the X100's hybrid finder is an engineering tour-de-force I've really enjoyed using the G1's EVF of the G1 and the new one on the G3 is a true evolutionary triumph. I also find that the swing out LCD is useful in MANY situations. Particularly when shooting off angle street photography or difficult angle ANYTHING. Self-photos are also easy to do as the LCD can be swung out and turned toward you as you fire away. The G1 showed that CAF can work well and the GH2 and G3 have now shown that it can be on a par with the best. The X100 seems to still need some work in this area.

The ISO/noise improvements in the latest iteration (G3) while still certainly not in the same league as the X100 or any other APS-C device at ISO 1600 and higher for the VAST majority of my shots which are taken in the ISO 100-650 range I have been more than content. From what I've seen the state of the art of m43 at lower ISO's is on a par with APS-C. If I need to shoot higher ISO's I have found that shooting in BW is a great way to go as it's noise has an old, romantic grain-like film quality.

If I had one complaint it would be the somewhat limited DR. Again not an issue for 95% of my shots but still something I notice when I really do need it.

So as fine an execution as the X100 is in trying to really give DRF fans a nice, affordable camera that gives you a pretty decent rangefinder experience I have to admit that I prefer the m43 as implemented in the great Lumix G's.

Sapphie

Peter

And while the X100's hybrid finder is an engineering tour-de-force I've really enjoyed using the G1's EVF of the G1 and the new one on the G3 is a true evolutionary triumph.
In what way do you think the G3 EVF is superior to the G1? I have the latter, have had the GH2 (now sold) but have not yet seen a G3.

Lee

Millsart

G3 EVF seemed identical to the G1 EVF to me, other than the G1 had the eye switching sensor.

GH2 does have a slightly updated EVF with a few more pixels and perhaps a changed refresh rate, but I don't believe the G3 shares this.

G3 from everything I've read, and from owning one for a week, is the same as the G1, G2, G10

peterb

Hi Lee,

I had heard the 'refresh' rate of the EVF was much faster in the G3 than the G1 and so therefore the 'perceived' image quality (see the part about 'rainbow effect' below) in the EVF would be better. Resolution? I guess it's about par.

Here's the quote from Imaging Resource:

"The Panasonic G3 also retains a similar electronic viewfinder design to that of the G2, but with one significant difference: the viewfinder's resolution is still 800 x 600 pixels, with a time-multiplexed design that means each pixel illuminates sequentially in red, green, and blue, providing the perception of full color at every pixel location. (Most electronic viewfinders use more traditional LCD displays, which have separate red, green, and blue dots for each pixel.) In the G3, though, the switching speed of the electronic viewfinder has been increased significantly, giving it a greater resistance to color breakup--the rainbow effect seen with time-multiplexed displays when you blink or suddenly move your eye. While we could still make it happen if we moved our eyes very rapidly, we did find the G3's display less subject to color breakup than similar EVFs we've seen in the past. The improved EVF performance is doubtless another benefit of the G3's faster sensor readout and image processing."

Last edited:

Paratom

35mm does not work so well for me either as fixed focal length. Then I rather prefer 28 or even 24.

Actually I do not understand why one would restrict to the X100 when owning a M9 with several lenses :confused:
I cant speak about the x100 but only the x1:
Noise wouldnt be a reason for me-with an f1.4 lens and the rangefinder focusing I feel I am fine for the "dark".
Value also wouldnt be a reason-if I dont want to bring my M9 than I also wouldnt like to bring a 1K camera but would rather take a weatherproof compact. But in 99% I am fine to bring the M9 (plus I have covered it with insurance).

The main reason to bring the x1 over the M9 for me would be size/weight. (However these days I would rather bring the xz1 for that).

The x100 IMO is great because it offers a lot of what an M9 with a 35mm prime can do for much less money, plus included flash and video.

C

cosinaphile

x 100 has replaced ep1 with 12,mm m.zukio as a walk around camera until the novelty wears off , just got an x 10 in the mail and it has replaced the x 100....icant wait to get the gx 1 ,so i can use it until the ilc fujifilm arrives

honestly the iq of the x100 blows away my micro 4\3
but im keeping both cause i need an interchangable lens system for lens versitility
there something about m4\3 i love

and im done with nikon slrs

lowep

"The X100 RAW files are better than those from my D300 and they are very close in quality to the D700's..."

please elaborate