The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Focus recompose and metering.

Sapphie

Pressing the shutter release locks both focus and metering, which means if I focus and recompose sometimes the shots are overexposed, eg if I have focused on an area with less sky then recomposed.

Is it possible to *only* lock focus when pressing the shutter release?

My current workaround is to use MF mode, and lock focus with the AEL/AFL button.

Lee

Godfrey

Pressing the shutter release locks both focus and metering, which means if I focus and recompose sometimes the shots are overexposed, eg if I have focused on an area with less sky then recomposed.

Is it possible to *only* lock focus when pressing the shutter release?

My current workaround is to use MF mode, and lock focus with the AEL/AFL button.
Most of the more sophisticated cameras allow you to customize the operation of the shutter release half-press and AEL/AFL button. What camera are you using? I know this is the Fuji forum, but there are several different Fuji models ...

Rich M

Lee -

I lock exposure only with the AFL/AEL button (assigned in the custom menu) and hold it in while I recompose and focus using the shutter button.

You can assign the AFL/AEL to toggle on/off and not have to hold it in while focusing, but I find I forget and my next shot is screwed up because I don't toggle it off.

R

Sapphie

Rich

Just lost some shots this way (using the toggle mode for locking focus) myself today! I almost find it easier to go into manual mode and use the same button there for focusing. That way I forget (less often) as it is easier for this to become an ingrained habit.

I might give your method a go as well, though.

Lee

archiM44

you can program the ael/afl button to lock focus only.
it will only lock focus after focus has been initiated by half pressing the shutter button, but will hold that focus if you use the toggle or switch mode.