The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Which RAW converter

Jeffg53

I have been using ACR for my X100 images. I have never been a great fan of ACR and was wondering whether any of the other RAW converters do a better job. I know this is a 'piece of string question' but thought that I would ask it anyway.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Jeff, I'm using LR3. I know it's similar but not the same.
I've tried a few others but they interrupt my workflow. The X100 files don't need much work before going into Nik Software.
What exactly is your issue with ACR?
Don

Godfrey

I use Lightroom 3 also. Camera Raw has the exact same raw conversion engine and camera calibrations in it, given the matching version numbers (eg: LR 3.4.1 == ACR 6.4.1).

I also use Aperture 3, and have tested Raw Developer, Capture One, Silkypix, and a couple of others the names of which I don't recall at present. I haven't found anything significantly different in terms of what I can obtain from the raw converter in all cases, given sufficient skill and understanding. Camera calibration curves and default settings vary, of course, but that's just a matter of figuring and customizing an appropriate starting point.

I use Lightroom 3 because I prefer the workflow model it presents and the features it supports, its UI ... not because there's anything particularly better or worse about its raw conversion quality.

So ... What is it about ACR that you do not like?

Jeffg53

Thanks folks.I primarily shoot with a H4D so I use Phocus and then PS. I don't use LR. I never saw the need as I don't produce large numbers of images. I tried Aperture but didn't want the pain of using another interface.

I find ACR clunky and never use it enough to get really used to it. I can never remember what each cryptic little icon is for. I cam't just slide a slider to change zoom level etc. It's probably my lack of use more than anything else.

dhsimmonds

I use Capture One 6 Pro for processing all of my Raw images. It works well with the X100 RAF files and is capable of quite a lot of local adjustments without using PS.

However I use Silver Efex Pro for B & W conversions.

Jeffg53

I haven't had any trouble making adjustments with it Will. I have been busy on other stuff but it does seem to create a 25MB file for each image which is seriously weird. I get an almost 20MB RAF file and C1 creates a 25MB one. If you work that one out, I'd love to know the answer.