The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X100 MENU/OK button...

Brian Mosley

Hello everyone,

I'm finding it necessary to press the MENU/OK button on my X100 with my thumbnail, to avoid hitting the surrounding control dial... remembering how the G1 button lost its' decal pretty quickly, and the fact this looks like it could go the same way... I'm wondering whether some preventative maintenance may be in order.

Has anyone tried any kind of protective varnish on their G1/X100 buttons? any recommendations?

TIA

Brian

Brian Mosley

No, a good hard push just mashes the surrounding control dial - causing multiple button presses and is too hit and miss.

I'll look for something I can stick on to extend the menu button - better than varnish if it will come off without leaving a residue.

Thanks Dave

Brian

Sapphie

Brian

The 'back button', i.e. the left hand side of this control, usually commits the change, the same as hitting the OK button in the middle.

Lee

Brian Mosley

It's the MENU function I'm struggling with... just tried a hole punched piece of soft velcro which sticks nicely, a minor improvement.

Cheers

Brian

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Brian,
Use your thumb and just press the the control dial. It will do the ok button only most times. Do you have the new firmware installed? Now there is a lock for the control dial that makes it easier to hit the ok button. Barjohn discovered the thumb thing and it's been adopted by most users.
Don

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Yeppers.... Press and hold the ok button for about 3 seconds and the lock/unlock icon appears. It's a life saver not hitting the dial and changing things...

Brian Mosley

Thanks Don, yes I saw your tip on this yesterday afternoon and now have the control dial locked. I do like having the soft velcro bump though - makes the menu button very grippy and easy to press on its' own.

The image quality is superb by the way! I've decided to shoot RAW and develop using the provided silkypix converter to finish with my favourite Lightzone (I'm sorry, I just can't be doing with Adobe stuff)... dynamic range is fabulous.

Cheers

Brian