The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X100 IQ

soboyle

This has probably been beat into the ground already - but I'm loving what I see in the image quality of the X100. Sample and tests. DXOmark has it better than the original 5D, and close to the 5DMII.

Is it really that good in real world shooting?

I have one on order from Adorama, but no indication on how long the wait will be. I'm getting so impatient that I am considering succumbing to the sharks on Amazon. Somebody talk me out of it.

Brian Mosley

Hi Shaun, yes, it's really that good in real world shooting.

I bought mine from a local bricks and mortar store - the personal service is worth it with such an instrument.

Cheers

Brian

dhsimmonds

Yes if these ratings are to be believed, and a number of reputable journals refer to them, then the little Fuji X100 at 73 also rates higher than the Leica M8
at 59 but not as high as the Sony A900 at 79.

In particular I am surprised to see the Leica's colour bit depth is lower than either the X100 or the A900.

As always the real tests are in the hands of everyday pro shooters and there are quite a few Leica users who have taken big time to the little X100.:D

dhsimmonds

Well I'll be darned! I thought that I would tongue in cheek run a DXO comparison, X100 v Leica M9,

Total scores X100 73
Leica M9 69
The M9 loses out against the X!00 on Dynamic Range and low light ISO :eek:

In practice most pro's would say that the M9 is far superior, albeit at 5 x the price of the X100 without buying a lens for the M9! However against the Leica M8 then I can certainly believe the DXO ratings comparison.

There are too many differences between the two camera concepts to really compare these cameras "in the hand". They are all fine tools and whichever suits your style and wallet is the best for you.;)

soboyle

I'm convinced that the IQ in such a small package is worth the investment. Now I just need to find one without paying an extra 20%.

archiM44

I have the x100 next to my M9
The x100 is no slouch but I compared files from my M9 and from the X100 shot as raw with a summicron 35mm ASPH on the M9 and the M9 files are "better" up to 800 or 1000 and maybe 1250.
IQ difference is only visible in direct comparison but to me it's certainly there. Developed in LR3 and Capture One.
At high ISO 1600 and above the X100 is "better" and requires less tweaking, at least to my eyes
I prefer the rendering of ccd sensors.
But, the x100 is about 1/7 the price of the M9 and 35mm so any comparison is totally unfair