The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Fuji X10

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Re: Fuji X10

Unprocessed raw image: f5.6, 1/2000s, IS0 640

shadow detail is nice - hope you can see it.

Keith

Lars

It just occured to me how the manual zoom affects the handling of this camera. Whereas mainstream compacts can be used one-handed even if you want to change focal length, the X10 is more of a two-handed camera. Not necessarily a bad thing, and it ties in with using the OVF.

Question to owners: How is the viewfinder so far? Keith can you compare to Canon G9/G10? I have this sour relationship with my G11, still sorely disappointed over the OVF. If I would sell it then now is the time as I get a better price in Europe, moving to California in three weeks.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member

Lars

The x10 OVF is a very positive experience after the G9/G10. With the Canons the OVF was so bad I found myself not using it. I guess that after 3 days of use I am using the OVF most of the time

It's a similar experience to the classic fixed lens rangefinder such as the Canonet QL17, which I have in front of me. The X10 OVF is a titch smaller but much brighter.

This is one of the main reasons I bought the camera. I'm not a "hold the cam at arms length to focus and frame" kind of person. I use an EVF on my other cameras, and this Fuji is more immediate, even though it doesn't show any information.

Keith

Lars

Yep I only used the G11 finder once.

One advantage (in theory) with using an OVF over arms-length shooting style is stability in terms of holding camera against your eyebrow, I'm sure it's possible to gain one to three stops in long-exposure stability. Another advantage with (an adjustable) OVF is no need for reading glasses when shooting.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member

I've just come back from a walk with the camera. I found this method of framing and focusing very useful.

Use the OVF to do a rough frame and adjust the zoom (the camera will be against your eye). Bring the camera away from your face a bit so you can see the LCD - the central focus square will be quite easy to see. Move the camera to get the square on your focus point - then half press and listen for the beep. Bring back to your eye, do the final frame and shoot. After a few tries I found this to be very quick.

Of course you don't need this refinement if the subject is big enough to gauge accurately through the OVF center point.

Keith

woodmancy

Subscriber Member

I used this focusing method on the horizontal log in this image taken at f2.8. Might have been difficult with the OVF alone.

f2.8, 1/600s, ISO 400 EXR DR mode

Keith

ustein

Contributing Editor

Had the first time to shoot the X10 (owned by a fiend). Did not use Raw so far.

Initial impressions:

- feels solid
- AEB is very fast
- Have A-Priority and here handling is easy
- OVF is nice and bright yet not precise
- ISO not bad
- Fuji has one winner more (I was not a fan of the X100 mainly due to the lens limitation)

Last edited:

Diane B

Just lovely Uwe---need I say 'as always'.. I've been thinking of this one to replace my husband's G9 (and I could borrow it LOL).

Diane

ustein

Contributing Editor

>201110_Chase_United_personal

The X10 is in a different league.

>He misses the lack of focus confirmation in the viewfinder, but I think if one listens to the beep that should overcome the problem.

This + some basic info. But overall I am impressed too. If Fuji puts this experience into their mirror-less camera that will be something. I will buy the X10 and can see it the last P&S camera for a long time. The experience starts with a great feel.

Some more images can be found here:

http://outbackphoto.smugmug.com/DOPFieldTests/Fuji-X10-Field-Tests/

mathomas

So, a good replacement for the LX3/DLUX4, anyone?

Still like my DLUX4 a lot, I must say.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member

I had the DLux4 for a while. Reviewing those images, the IQ of the X10 is better (less noise)
The X10 is a different shooting experience. The optical viewfinder will mean that you can get images easily in bright sun - I had trouble with the DLux4 LCD in bright sun. Also you can assume a normal viewing stance with the camera up to the eye.
I prefer the manual zoom (also larger zoom range) and ergonomics, but the X10 is significantly larger, you may want to try it before you buy. Build quality about the same.

Although the DLux4 is lovely, I would take the X10 given a choice

Good luck

Keith

Lars

G11 sold :) will get a replacement after the holidays. Whether that is an X10 or perhaps one of the m43 models remains to be seen - I'm sure I am willing to sacrifice some pocketability for better photography experience.

mathomas

Thanks for that! Any comment on video performance?

I will keep my eye on this little camera.

I had the DLux4 for a while. Reviewing those images, the IQ of the X10 is better (less noise)
The X10 is a different shooting experience. The optical viewfinder will mean that you can get images easily in bright sun - I had trouble with the DLux4 LCD in bright sun. Also you can assume a normal viewing stance with the camera up to the eye.
I prefer the manual zoom (also larger zoom range) and ergonomics, but the X10 is significantly larger, you may want to try it before you buy. Build quality about the same.

Although the DLux4 is lovely, I would take the X10 given a choice

Good luck

Keith

raist3d

I think using the camera in Aperture/Shutter Priority or Manual mode is dead easy. I like the controls good detents and the upper control wheel moves easily but in a very controlled way. I have ISO on the fn button on the top deck for right now.

So, that means ISO, EV, A or S, AE/AF lock, move the AF area, change the drive mode, change the exposure (spot/multi) are all simple and intuitive. That is 99% the way I shoot.

What will take a bunch of time and is confusing are the different EXR type modes and how to in a simple way take advantage of them. I'm going to try and save two of those as the custom modes.

So, as people figure out (what I consider) the confusing stuff, please post it here.
What I mean by that for example is, in the brief moment I used it we couldn't figure out what was going on with the EXR modes. And I have to say I am not happy with the vertical column of left buttons and then that dreaded Canon PowerShotTM dial. That interface just has to die. But ok.

- Raist

Terry

What I mean by that for example is, in the brief moment I used it we couldn't figure out what was going on with the EXR modes. And I have to say I am not happy with the vertical column of left buttons and then that dreaded Canon PowerShotTM dial. That interface just has to die. But ok.

- Raist
Agree that EXR modes are not straight forward and the manual doesn't help. "The Fuji Guys" are apparently working on a set of videos so hopefully they will cover what I need.

I love the left buttons....perhaps because I'm left handed and they feel like they are in a great spot for me.

I really have no idea what the issue is with the PowerShot dial. That dial is truly only used if you want it to be used. I've just gone back and looked at the manual again and i can confirm that the top command dial and the sub command dial can be used interchangeably. I went through every instance that the sub command dial is mentioned in the manual and can confirm the only time you use that dial is for manual focus. I haven't yet used the dial you hate except to manually focus but this is really not a manual focus camera.

raist3d

Terry, what I hate about that dial (in all its forms, and that means all cameras that have it) is that you have a cross of buttons (four) and then the dial. In pretty much all the cameras that have said dial if you press the buttons you get a tactile feel of spinning that wheel.

And if you spin the wheel you may press a button. When you don't, it just feels as if you are walking on the edge of pressing the other. It's just an interface I think it's not really ideal. Fuji is hardly the only one.