The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Fuji X10

jonoslack

Hope that answers your question... no magic here.. just treating each photo based on what I feel are the best steps to get the most from the file.
Absolutely - actions are generalisations, which don't seem to work for me.

But I'm not as conscientious as you in doing different versions for the web and for printing. . . . . . . perhaps I should!

One from this morning... on my way to work I noticed a bit of fog and knew that there would be more fog and a chance to shoot a sunrise through it at a small lake not far from my home... here is the result.... and I was late for work due to waiting on the light.

Terry

Clearing storm - Bosque Del Apache National Wildlife Refuge (New Mexico)

Last edited:

Terry

Hi Jim,
That was the last of the clouds. Perfectly clear for the last two days. So boring sunrise/sunset plus it allowed the temp to drop to a balmy 15(F) degrees this AM. Although 15 with not wind today was a better than the 20's with a big wind the morning before.

I think it is time to plan a nice weekend heading north to Santa Fe/Toas sometime soon. .

jonoslack

Okay Okay Okay - I've seen enough reviews, I'm sure I don't need another small sensor camera . . . .but:

1. I'm getting increasingly impressed
2. There is a fantastic deal available until tomorrow morning.

So - Uwe - Jim - Terry - Ross - I'm relying on you!

jonoslack

Tell me more about this fantastic deal Jono? is it a one off, or can you share?

Cheers

Brian
Hi Brian
Park cameras - scroll down.
Park Cameras Deals

It looked pretty good to me - I even got to the checkout . . . and then realised that having sold my last small sensor camera 2 weeks ago because I didn't use it . . . it was probably not all that sensible to go out and get another one - especially one that was as big as the NEX7 I'm definitely going to get!

all the best

Brian Mosley

Thanks Jono - wow, what lens will you be using with the NEX7? :D

You're right though... I too have waaaay too many cameras and I'm not using any of them enough right now! :deadhorse:

Hope you're well :salute:

Brian

Jono...

It's probably best you held off on the X10.. it does have one glaring wart, see my review of the issue at http://www.boxedlight.com/x10

It seems to have an issue with handling specular highlights.. some of have indicated this is caused by operator error but I am not so sure. At any rate the camera is a pleasure to use and works quite well for what and how I shoot. Love the feel of the thing and the form factor.

I had a chance to handle the NEX-7 in Austin, Texas several weeks ago and was, at the time, considering it, the form factor put me off. It just did not feel comfortable in my hands. I look forward to seeing what you get from it.

ustein

Contributing Editor
> it does have one glaring wart

Please link to the image you mean. You image collection is spectacular.

The Glaring Wart...

> it does have one glaring wart

Please link to the image you mean. You image collection is spectacular.
Here you go.. took this yesterday after reding so much about how the X10 has difficulty rendering specular highlights. I renders them as blobs of light, totally blown... no rays of light as might be expected with say the K5. I do believe this is a problem.. but for most of what I shoot it should not cause problems.

As you can see, it almost looks like a hole in the photo. I tried a number of shots both at 12mp and 6mp with the same result. If you venture into the Fujitalk form on DPReview you will see plenty of examples.. it's a major uproar over there. I had not really noticed any of this because nothing I have been shooting had specular highlights.. once I shot the car I saw what people were so upset about... it renders the same way with say, christmas tree lights.. instead of points of light with rays they become blobs of light... not very pretty. I hope Fuji has a firmware fix for this and that is is not a characteristic of the sensor in the X10.

Not pretty. Do you also have the Raw? If so send it to me [email protected]
Uwe, yes, I do.. it is at home, don't have a copy here at the office. I will send the raw file to you this evening or set it up as a download on my website.

You should be able to duplicate this easily. If it's sunny out there today.. go find a car with some chrome on it and shoot it.. you'll get the same result.

Here are the settings I used: Shot at ISO 100 at f/8. Shutter speed: 1/480 EV - 1/3 Metering Mode: Matrix File Size: Large / Fine